What is the MacLaurin series for f(x)=ln(1+x^2)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mateomy
Messages
305
Reaction score
0
MacLaurin Series Integration...

I have to find the MacLaurin for f(x)=ln(1+x^2)

So i started off by finding the derivative of the function getting

[tex] \frac{2x}{1+x^2}[/tex]

My issue lies with the 2x in the numerator. I know how to bring the x into the series, but the two? Do I leave it on the outside or do I bring it in and put it to the nth power? I think my brain is fried, I seem to be getting contradictory information from various sources. So, I am bringing it here and throwing it up on the board.

Should it look like this:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n x^{2n+1} 2^n[/tex]

or this:

[tex] 2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n x^{2n+1}[/tex]

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


...and then I integrate it from there. I get that part, its just this one little step.
 


To find the MacLaurin series for
[tex]\frac{2x}{1+ x^2}[/tex]
Think of it as
[tex](2x)\left(\frac{1}{1-(-x^2)}[/tex]

Now, the sum of a geometric series is given by
[tex]\sum ar^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]
so think of this as a geometric series with [itex]r= -x^2[/itex] and a= 2x.