What is the magnetic dipole moment of a rotating charged record?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
stunner5000pt
Messages
1,447
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


A phonograph record of radius R carrying a unifrom surface charge sigma is rotating at a cosntant angular velocity omega. Find its magnetic dipole moment

Homework Equations


[tex]m = int I \bullet da[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Need to find the current first

well the sruface charge density is
[tex]K = \sigma \omega R[/tex]

[tex]K = \frac{dI}{dl_{perp}}[/tex]

where dl perp is the infinitesimal widthruning parallel to the flow of current
so here dl perp refers to circumference
[tex]I = \int K \bullet 2 \pi r dr[/tex]??

is this even close to being right??
I fear i may have made some geomterical error..

thanks for your help!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ahh i got the answer using the equation

[tex]\vec{m} = \frac{1}{2} \int_{S} \vec{r}' \times \vec{K}(\vec{r'}) da'[/tex]

[tex]da = r dr d\theta[/tex]

thanks anyway!