What is the magnitude if the total force exerted by the four charges

In summary, the correct magnitude for the total force exerted by four charges of magnitude +q placed at the corners of a square, on a charge Q located at a distance b along a line perpendicular to the plane of the square and equidistant from the four charges, is F= 4kqQb/((d^2/2)+b^2)^3/2.
pr_angeleyes
Four charges of magnitude +q are placed at the corners of a square whose sides have a length d. What is the magnitude if the total force exerted by the four charges on a charge Q located a distance b along a line perpendicular to the plane of the square and equidistant from the four charges?

The result of my attempt was:

F= 4kqQb/((d^2/2)+b^2)^3/2

but I don't know if is
F= kqQb/(b^2+l^2/2)^(3/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
pr_angeleyes said:
Four charges of magnitude +q are placed at the corners of a square whose sides have a length d. What is the magnitude if the total force exerted by the four charges on a charge Q located a distance b along a line perpendicular to the plane of the square and equidistant from the four charges?

The above is almost right. Look again at the term d^2/2. Is it correct?

pr_angeleyes said:

but I don't know if is
F= kqQb/(b^2+l^2/2)^(3/2)
Perhaps you could explain your reasoning.

What is the l as in l^2/2?

It appears to me that F= 4kqQb/((d^2/2)+b^2)^3/2 is incorrect. Check the d^2/2 term in the denominator. What is the distance of a charge from the centre of the square?

AM

This is what i was thinking:
F because of one charge=kqQ/(b^2+l^2/2) * cos(theta)

=kqQ/(b^2+l^2/2) *b/sqrt(b^2+l^2/2)

=kqQb/(b^2+l^2/2)^(3/2) (along the perpendicular )

as in plane parallel to the square net F=0

explanation

Andrew Mason said:
Perhaps you could explain your reasoning.

What is the l as in l^2/2?

It appears to me that F= 4kqQb/((d^2/2)+b^2)^3/2 is incorrect. Check the d^2/2 term in the denominator. What is the distance of a charge from the centre of the square?

AM

This is what i was thinking:

explanation

rude man said:
The above is almost right. Look again at the term d^2/2. Is it correct?

this is what i was thinking

pr_angeleyes said:
That looks right to me, but I see I'm outvoted by AM and rude man :confused:. Maybe I'm missing something.

haruspex said:
That looks right to me, but I see I'm outvoted by AM and rude man :confused:. Maybe I'm missing something.

How about d^2/2 → (d/2)^2 = d^2/4 ?

rude man said:
How about d^2/2 → (d/2)^2 = d^2/4 ?
No, why? As I read the OP, the point Q is distance b from the centre of the square.

I tend to agree with haruspex :-)

haruspex said:
No, why? As I read the OP, the point Q is distance b from the centre of the square.

Curses, haruspex and barryj, you are right. :blushing:

@Andrew Mason:
Locate the four charges at (d/2,d/2,0), (-d/2,d/2,0), -d/2,-d/2,0) and (d/2,-d/2,0) and the observation point at (0,0,b).

Then the distance from any charge is

sqrt[(d/2-0)^2 + (d/2-0)^2 + (0-b)^2] = sqrt{d^2/2 + b^2}.

My excuse: spatial relations was never my strong suit!

rude man said:
Curses, haruspex and barryj, you are right. :blushing:

@Andrew Mason:
Locate the four charges at (d/2,d/2,0), (-d/2,d/2,0), -d/2,-d/2,0) and (d/2,-d/2,0) and the observation point at (0,0,b).

Then the distance from any charge is

sqrt[(d/2-0)^2 + (d/2-0)^2 + (0-b)^2] = sqrt{d^2/2 + b^2}.

My excuse: spatial relations was never my strong suit!
You are right. I was using the distance as √2d/2 and it got me a bit confused. Squared it is d^2/2. So I agree the OP's first answer was right. Sorry for any confusion!

AM

What is the magnitude of the total force exerted by the four charges?

The magnitude of the total force exerted by the four charges can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you calculate the total force exerted by four charges?

To calculate the total force exerted by four charges, you need to first calculate the individual forces between each pair of charges using Coulomb's law. Then, you can use vector addition to find the resultant force, which will give you the magnitude and direction of the total force.

What units are used to measure the magnitude of force exerted by charges?

The magnitude of force exerted by charges is typically measured in Newtons (N) in the SI (International System of Units) system. In the CGS (centimeter-gram-second) system, the unit for force is dynes (dyn).

Does the distance between the charges affect the magnitude of the total force?

Yes, according to Coulomb's law, the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the magnitude of the force decreases.

What factors can affect the magnitude of the total force exerted by charges?

The magnitude of the total force exerted by charges can be affected by the magnitude of the individual charges, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. Other factors such as the presence of other charges in the vicinity can also influence the magnitude of the force.