What is the Marginal PDF of X?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Phox
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let X and Y be random variables of the continuous type having the join p.d.f.:

f(x,y) = 8xy, 0<=x<=y<=1

Find the marginal pdf's of X. Write your answer in terms of x.

Find the marginal pdf's of X. Write your answer in terms of x.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



f1(x) = integral(8xy)dy from 0 to 1

f2(y) = integral(8xy)dx from 0 to 1

f1(x) = 4x
f2(x) = 4y

This isn't right. what am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so i guess the bounds of f1(x) were supposed to be from x to 1.

And the bounds from f2(y) were supposed to be from 0 to y.

But I don't don't understand why
 
Phox said:

Homework Statement



Let X and Y be random variables of the continuous type having the join p.d.f.:

f(x,y) = 8xy, 0<=x<=y<=1

Find the marginal pdf's of X. Write your answer in terms of x.

Find the marginal pdf's of X. Write your answer in terms of x.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



f1(x) = integral(8xy)dy from 0 to 1

f2(y) = integral(8xy)dx from 0 to 1

f1(x) = 4x
f2(x) = 4y

This isn't right. what am I doing wrong?

Before doing any calculations, draw the region f > 0 in the (x,y) plane; that is, draw the region
0 ≤ x ≤ y ≤ 1.
 
Phox said:
I've graphed it. I'm not sure what this tells me

The marginal pdf ##f_X(x)## of X is the y-integral (with fixed x), integrated over the whole relevant y-region for that value of x. The drawing tells you what that region that would be.