What is the mass flow rate of the water?

In summary, the person is looking for help with their physics homework and is asking for the textbook that contains the assigned problems. They have the answers but are struggling to understand the concepts and believe a different textbook may be more helpful. They are encouraged to attempt the problems on their own first before seeking help. A suggestion is made to visit a university library or purchase a different study guide instead of trying to find the specific textbook for the problems.
UCLA_preMD
Hello,

I have some physics homework and I'm not looking for the answers. Rather, the textbook I currently use does not seem to be doing a good job (in my opinion) in explaining the topics. If anyone has seen some of these questions before and know what textbook they are used in, please let me know so by reading that one I may be able to understand the topics a little better (with respect to the problems). I have the answers as the solutions are available, but without any explanation. Here are some of the assigned homework problems:

Water is flowing at a speed of 0.5m/s through a 4cm diameter hose. The hose is horizontal. What is the mass flow rate of the water? At what speed does the water pass through a nozzle whose effective diameter is 0.6cm? what must be the absolute pressure of the water entering the hose if the pressure at the nozzle is atmospheric pressure

Water flows at a rate of 30mL/s through an opening at the bottom of a large tank in which the water is 4m deep. Calculate the rate of escape of the water if an added pressure of 50kPa is applied to the top of the water.

Water is moving with a speed of 8m/s through a pipe of 4cm in diameter. The water gradually descends 15m as the pipe diameter increases to 6cm. what is the speed of the flow at the lower level? If the pressure at the upper level is 200,000 Pa, what is the pressure at the lower level?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, here is how it works.

First use the homework help format.
Second show us your attempt to solve the problems
Third someone here will probably help you out once you make an attempt on your own.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
Well, here is how it works.

First use the homework help format.
Second show us your attempt to solve the problems
Third someone here will probably help you out once you make an attempt on your own.

Thanks
Matt

I get that, but instead of asking about every problem I have trouble on, I'm just trying to find the book which assigns these problems since the layout of it might be better in order to solve the problems I'm assigned.

Let me get this right.

...I'm just trying to find the book which assigns these problems...

So you have some random problems from a fluids class and you want to know what book they are from. Correct?

Uhh, wouldn't it be easier to just solve them?

If your book isn't doing a good job, then head to the local university library and read some of the fluid texts there or just purchase a cheap Schaums outline.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071487816/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Trying to find the book the problems came from seems like a big waste of time to me.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is mass flow rate of water defined?

The mass flow rate of water is defined as the amount of water passing through a specific point per unit time. It is measured in kilograms per second (kg/s) or other units of mass per time.

2. What factors affect the mass flow rate of water?

The mass flow rate of water is affected by several factors such as the cross-sectional area of the pipe, the velocity of the water, the density of the water, and any obstacles or changes in the flow path.

3. How is the mass flow rate of water calculated?

The mass flow rate of water can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the pipe by the velocity of the water and the density of the water. This is represented by the formula: mass flow rate = cross-sectional area x velocity x density.

4. What is a typical mass flow rate for water in a household setting?

In a household setting, the mass flow rate of water can vary depending on the size of the pipes and the water pressure. On average, a standard showerhead can have a mass flow rate of 9-10 liters per minute.

5. How can the mass flow rate of water be controlled?

The mass flow rate of water can be controlled by adjusting the cross-sectional area of the pipe, regulating the water pressure, or using flow control devices such as valves or pumps. Additionally, the flow rate can also be controlled by adjusting the temperature or viscosity of the water.