What is the Mass of M1 in a Pulley System with Given Parameters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter anastasiaw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blocks Gravity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 13K views
...If I divide out the m1 in order to get it to one side, won't that cancel out all the m1's?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't divide out because there is no m1 term in front of the T. That is why you have to get all the m1 terms on the same side and pull the common term (i.e. m1).
 
Audacity said:
...If I divide out the m1 in order to get it to one side, won't that cancel out all the m1's?

No, the value of 'T' has no m1 in it. Just gather the like terms on side and then divide.
 
When I go through and divide everything out, I get 6.99kg... That doesn't seem possible?

And isn't the correct answer...
 
I went through and re-worked it. Got 4.472kg which is the correct answer. Thank you sooooo much Rockfreak. You have been an invaluable resource on this matter.