What is the maximum acceleration in m/s^2 the cart can undergo

In summary, the maximum acceleration the cart can undergo over a frictionless surface before it starts to slide is 37.19952 m/s2.
TG3

Homework Statement

A block of mass 1.4 kg rests on a cart of 3.4 kg. The static friction between them is (mew) =.79
What is the maximum acceleration in m/s^2 the cart can undergo over a frictionless surface before the block begins to slide?

Homework Equations

F (subscript ap) = mew x g x (m1 + m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

F = .79 x 9.81 x 4.8
F= 37.19952 (I rounded appropriately when entering answer.)
Yet I'm told this is wrong... what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
did you put on unit?

The computer automatically adds a unit to the answer, you just have to make sure you solved for that unit. So yes...
Is there anything wrong with my work?

TG3 said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass 1.4 kg rests on a cart of 3.4 kg. The static friction between them is (mew) =.79
What is the maximum acceleration in m/s^2 the cart can undergo over a frictionless surface before the block begins to slide?

Homework Equations

F (subscript ap) = mew x g x (m1 + m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

F = .79 x 9.81 x 4.8
F= 37.19952 (I rounded appropriately when entering answer.)
Yet I'm told this is wrong... what am I missing?
You are asked to find an acceleartion, yet you are solving for a force, and that calculation of the force is in any case not correct, as you seem to be trying to calculate a friction force acting on the block/cart system, which does not exist because the surface upon which the cart lies in frictionless. So start again, this time by drawing a free body diagram of the block. What force acts on the block in the horizontal direction just before it starts to slide? Once you identify that force, solve for its acceleration. Would not the cart have to have that same acceleration if the block must not slide?

You're right. I did it over again like you said, but I'm still not quite there.
I re-calculate the force of kinetic friction to be 10.84986 (9.81 x 1.4 x .79) but the answer is still being rejected.
Am I miscalculating something, or making another conceptual error?

Try mew*gravity.

Hey- thanks!
That was the first question in a set, so without the answer to that question, I couldn't get the rest, but with it they were pretty easy.

TG3 said:
Hey- thanks!
That was the first question in a set, so without the answer to that question, I couldn't get the rest, but with it they were pretty easy.
That's all very nice that you now have the answer, but unless you try to understand why that's the answer, it is meaningless.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the maximum acceleration an object can undergo?

The maximum acceleration an object can undergo is dependent on several factors, such as the object's mass, the force applied to it, and its physical limitations. In a vacuum, the maximum acceleration an object can undergo is the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is either increasing or decreasing over time. This can result in a change in direction, speed, or both.

5. What is the significance of determining the maximum acceleration an object can undergo?

Determining the maximum acceleration an object can undergo is important for various practical applications, such as designing vehicles or equipment that can withstand high accelerations, predicting the outcome of collisions, and understanding the limits of human endurance during high-speed activities.