Friction force of 2 connected block on steel surface

In summary: I understand why you said that my solution is different than the one posted previously. I guess I should have clarified that in my solution. I apologize for any inconvenience caused. oh yeah, I totally forgot about part d...thanks for reminding though, now I understand why you said that my solution is different than the one posted previously. I guess I should have clarified that in my solution. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
EnricoHendro
Homework Statement
An aluminum block of
mass m1 = 2.00 kg and a copper block of mass m2 = 6.00 kg are connected by a light string over a frictionless pulley. They sit on a steel surface as shown in Figure P5.84, where θ = 30.0°. (a) When they are released from rest, will they start to move? If they do, determine (b) their acceleration and (c) the tension in the string. If they do not move, determine (d) the sum of the
magnitudes of the forces of friction acting on the blocks.
Relevant Equations
fs= cofficient of static friction x n
where : n = m2.gcosθ (for copper)
n = m1.g (for alumunium)
F = m2.gsinθ - T - fs (for Copper)
F = T - fs (for Alumunium)
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 11.00.43 AM.png

Attempted Solution.jpg

hello there, I am wondering if my attempt at a solution for this particular problem correct?? I mean I know that the blocks won't move and the total friction force is 38.95N (at least lesser than that, since that is the maximum static friction). I saw someone attempted the solution but it is completely different than mine (although we arrive at the same conclusion). Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a little miscalculation at m2.gsinθ...It should be 29.4 N (which is still less than 38.95N)

I'm confused about the friction coefficient for steel/ aluminium. You seem to have stated it as 0.53 (but I cannot read the suffix), in the calculations I see 0.61, and online it says 0.47.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
I'm confused about the friction coefficient for steel/ aluminium. You seem to have stated it as 0.53 (but I cannot read the suffix), in the calculations I see 0.61, and online it says 0.47.
the 0.53 is the coefficient of steel/ copper. I wrote the coefficient for steel/ alumunium to be 0.61 (I wrote it below the "for alumunium" at the right side, below the copper diagram (I forgot to write it down, so I kinda add it beside the "for copper". Thus in the calculation you see 0.61
p.s. I am using the friction coefficient from my textbook

EnricoHendro said:
the 0.53 is the coefficient of steel/ copper. I wrote the coefficient for steel/ alumunium to be 0.61 (I wrote it below the "for alumunium" at the right side, below the copper diagram (I forgot to write it down, so I kinda add it beside the "for copper". Thus in the calculation you see 0.61
p.s. I am using the friction coefficient from my textbook
In that case I agree with 39N for the sum of magnitudes of the two maximum frictional forces. (Shouldn’t quote more sig figs than that since the coefficients are only given to two.)

Likes EnricoHendro
haruspex said:
In that case I agree with 39N for the sum of magnitudes of the two maximum frictional forces. (Shouldn’t quote more sig figs than that since the coefficients are only given to two.)
I see...so what about my method/analysis for that particular problem?? do you think my analysis is correct?? I'm really concern about the analysis since my other objective of studying physics to improve/test my analytical/logical thinking :)

EnricoHendro said:
I see...so what about my method/analysis for that particular problem?? do you think my analysis is correct?? I'm really concern about the analysis since my other objective of studying physics to improve/test my analytical/logical thinking :)
Yes, it was a reasonable way to find the max total friction force (as a sum of magnitudes, which is what you need). But you do understand that you have not answered part d, right?

haruspex said:
Yes, it was a reasonable way to find the max total friction force (as a sum of magnitudes, which is what you need). But you do understand that you have not answered part d, right?
oh yeah, I totally forgot about part d...thanks for reminding though

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How is friction force calculated?

Friction force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force exerted on the object.

3. How does the type of surface affect friction force?

The type of surface can affect friction force by changing the coefficient of friction. Rougher surfaces typically have a higher coefficient of friction, resulting in a greater friction force.

4. What factors can affect the friction force of two connected blocks on a steel surface?

The friction force of two connected blocks on a steel surface can be affected by the weight of the blocks, the angle of the surface, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surface.

5. How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, smoothing or polishing the surfaces, or reducing the weight or angle of the object. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction can also decrease friction force.