What is the maximum of the given function in the closed square $D$?

In summary, the function $f$ has a maximum at $(1,1)$ and the points of $D$ at which this maximum is achieved are $(1,1)$, $(0,1)$, and $(0,0).
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

We consider the function $f(x_1,x_2)=x_1+x_2$ and the (closed) square $D$ with edges $(0,0), (1,0), (1,1), (0,1)$.

Check if $f$ has a maximum in $D$ and if so, find the points of $D$ at which this maximum is achieved.$$\max_{(x_1,x_2) \in D} (x_1+x_2)$$

View attachment 4792

$$(S)\left\{\begin{matrix}
x_1 \geq 0\\
x_2 \geq 0\\
x_1 \leq 1\\
x_2 \leq 1
\end{matrix}\right.$$

so $D=\{ (x_1, x_2) \in \mathbb{R}^2: x_1, x_2 \text{ satisfy } (S)\}$.

$$x_1, x_2 \geq 0$$

Obviously $\max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} (x_1+x_2) \leq \max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} x_1 + \max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} x_2 \leq 1+1=2 $

and $\max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} (x_1+x_2)=f(1,1)$, so $(1,1)$ is the optimal solution of the linear programming problem.
How do we deduce that the maximum of the given function is $2$. Because of the fact that the maximum is less or equal to $2$ and there is a point $(1,1)$ for which the value $2$ is achieved?

Attachments

• square.png
    square.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 40
Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

and $\max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} (x_1+x_2)=f(1,1)$, so $(1,1)$ is the optimal solution of the linear programming problem.

Small correction: it's "an" optimal solution.
We don't know yet if it is "the" optimal solution. (Nerd)
How do we deduce that the maximum of the given function is $2$. Because of the fact that the maximum is less or equal to $2$ and there is a point $(1,1)$ for which the value $2$ is achieved?

Yes. (Smile)

Still, I believe the question asks for "all" points... (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
Small correction: it's "an" optimal solution.
We don't know yet if it is "the" optimal solution. (Nerd)

Why? Aren't all the other values that $f$ could get smaller? Or am I wrong? (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
Yes. (Smile)

Still, I believe the question asks for "all" points... (Sweating)

So in order to show that we have one optimal solution do we have to reject the other feasible solutions?

evinda said:
Why? Aren't all the other values that $f$ could get smaller? Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

So in order to show that we have one optimal solution do we have to reject the other feasible solutions?

Indeed. And that's exactly the point.
Because all other values that $f$ could get are smaller, it is "the" maximum. (Happy)

Moveover, if the boundary were not included, there would be no maximum, only a supremum. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Indeed. And that's exactly the point.
Because all other values that $f$ could get are smaller, it is "the" maximum. (Happy)

Moveover, if the boundary were not included, there would be no maximum, only a supremum. (Nerd)

In order to reject the other feasible solutions do we have to compute the values $f(0,0), f(1,0), f(0,1)$ and the value of $f\left( \frac{1}{m}, \frac{1}{n}\right), n,m \in \mathbb{N}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
In order to reject the other feasible solutions do we have to compute the values $f(0,0), f(1,0), f(0,1)$ and the value of $f\left( \frac{1}{m}, \frac{1}{n}\right), n,m \in \mathbb{N}$ ? (Thinking)

From a linear programming point of view, indeed we need to check all the corner points.
But that only works if the function to maximize is a linear function.

Where do your $f\left( \frac{1}{m}, \frac{1}{n}\right)$ come from? (Wondering)

More generally, we would take the partial derivatives and see where they are zero.
Additionally, we would inspect the boundaries to see if there is a maximum there.
For linear programming problems that can be simplified to just looking at the corner points. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
From a linear programming point of view, indeed we need to check all the corner points.
But that only works if the function to maximize is a linear function.

Where do your $f\left( \frac{1}{m}, \frac{1}{n}\right)$ come from? (Wondering)

More generally, we would take the partial derivatives and see where they are zero.
Additionally, we would inspect the boundaries to see if there is a maximum there.
For linear programming problems that can be simplified to just looking at the corner points. (Nerd)

Ah I didn't know that if we have a linear programming problem we look only at the corner points. (Whew)

So we say that $\max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} (x_1+x_2) \leq 2$ and

$$f(0,0)=0 \\ f(1,0)=1 \\ f(1,1)=2 \\ f(0,1)=1$$

thus the maximum of the function $f$ is $2$ and is achieved for $(x_1, x_2)=(1,1)$, right?

evinda said:
Ah I didn't know that if we have a linear programming problem we look only at the corner points. (Whew)

So we say that $\max_{(x_1, x_2) \in D} (x_1+x_2) \leq 2$ and

$$f(0,0)=0 \\ f(1,0)=1 \\ f(1,1)=2 \\ f(0,1)=1$$

thus the maximum of the function $f$ is $2$ and is achieved for $(x_1, x_2)=(1,1)$, right?

Yep! (Happy)

I like Serena said:
Yep! (Happy)

Nice... Thank you! (Smile)

Related to What is the maximum of the given function in the closed square $D$?

What is a Linear Programming Problem?

A Linear Programming Problem is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best solution to a problem with linear constraints. It involves maximizing or minimizing a linear objective function while satisfying a set of linear constraints. It is commonly used in business, economics, and operations research.

What are the components of a Linear Programming Problem?

A Linear Programming Problem has three main components: decision variables, objective function, and constraints. Decision variables are the unknown quantities that we are trying to optimize. The objective function is the equation that we want to maximize or minimize. Constraints are the limitations or conditions that the solution must satisfy.

What is the difference between a maximization and minimization problem in Linear Programming?

In a maximization problem, the goal is to find the maximum value of the objective function, while in a minimization problem, the goal is to find the minimum value. In both cases, the objective function and constraints are linear.

What are some real-world applications of Linear Programming?

Linear Programming has various real-world applications, such as resource allocation, production planning, portfolio optimization, transportation and distribution planning, and scheduling. It is also used in marketing, finance, and environmental management.

What are the limitations of Linear Programming?

Linear Programming has some limitations, such as the assumption of linearity in the objective function and constraints, which may not always hold true in real-world problems. It also requires all the data to be known and deterministic. Additionally, it is limited to problems with a finite number of variables and constraints.