What Is the Maximum Transverse Velocity at x=0 for a Moving Wave Pulse?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Lavabug
Messages
858
Reaction score
37

Homework Statement


I'll try to translate the problem as faithfully as I can:

A wave pulse moves along the positive OX axis. Its form when t=0 is
f(x) = y0/[1 + (x/a)^2]
Find the expression for the transverse velocity as a function of x and t.
At the point x=0, what will be its max transverse velocity, if v = 210m/s (I assume this is phase velocity), y0 = 1.3cm, and a = 5cm?


The Attempt at a Solution


For the first part, should I substitute x for (x -vt) and take the partial with respect to t of the whole function? That should give me the expression for "vertical" velocity. Then I'd simply substitute x=0, v, y0 and a to get the velocity?

I thought "transverse" meant along the x-axis. The question looks really ambiguous and misleading but I think that's what's being asked, any thoughts?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Transverse means that the displacement of the "disturbance" is perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This wave travels along the x axis, in positive direction, the displacement is in the y direction. Imagine that the wave travels along a string, and the particles of the string move up and down. You can find the vertical velocity as you outlined. Do the differentiation with respect to time, substitute x=0 and the given values of v and y0, and find the maximum.

ehild