What Is the Maximum Value of Static Friction Coefficient to Move a 10kg Object?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
pyroknife
Messages
611
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


A force of 50N is required to start a 10kg object moving from rest. What is the maximum value that (Ms) could be?
A)5
b).05
c).5
d).1
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to start us out here. What's the normal force and what does the normal force have to do with static friction?
 
Normal force is the force acting up on the object so the higher the normal force the less kinetic friction it takes to get the object moving. I can't find the normal force though.
 
Exactly backwards. Frictional force is related to normal force times the Ms. So larger normal force means more friction. I think you might need to look in a book. How is the normal force related to weight? How is weight related to mass?
 
I was trying to use this equation Ff=FnMs, but there are 2 unknowns so i can't solve for it
 
I think the answer would be .5
Ff=FnMs
50=98Ms
Ms=.5(rounded)
 
You've got it. Fn=mg by balancing the vertical forces.