What is the meaning of line to line voltage in a wye connected system?

In summary, the 3Phase loads are connected in parallel with L1 consuming 300KW, L2 consuming 300KVAR, and L3 consuming 300KVAR. The LiNE to LiNE voltage refers to the voltage between phases in a wye connection. The units of consumption for the different loads are different because KW represents real power while KVARs represents reactive power. In a Y connection, the central point is neutral and line-to-line refers to the voltage between phases.
ISU20CpreE

Homework Statement

The 3Phase loads are connected in parallel.
L1(Purely Resistive) consumes 300KW. Connected in wye!
L2(Purely Inductive) consumes 300KVAR. Connected in wye!
L3(Purely Capacitive) consumes 300KVAR. Connected in wye!

The part I don't understand is the following: LiNE to LiNE Voltage is 5KV at the Load.
My question is brief. I am trying to find out what does it mean by line to line voltage, in a wye connected

Also why are the units of consumption of the different loads different. I mean KW and KVAR's, or are they not different?

Thank you for the time applied to this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KW (kilo-watts) is Real Power as opposed to KVARS (kilo-voltamperes-reactive). The reactive power is power that is stored in the capacitance or inductance of a system, and is unavailable for use.

In a Y, the central point of the Y would be neutral, and line-to-line means the volage/current between phases, as opposed to line-to-neutral.

Thank you!

Astronuc said:
KW (kilo-watts) is Real Power as opposed to KVARS (kilo-voltamperes-reactive). The reactive power is power that is stored in the capacitance or inductance of a system, and is unavailable for use.

In a Y, the central point of the Y would be neutral, and line-to-line means the volage/current between phases, as opposed to line-to-neutral.

Thank you for the help. I actually got everything done just those little details that I tried to find yesterday desperately. Thanks again.

Related to What is the meaning of line to line voltage in a wye connected system?

What is a power system?

A power system is a network of interconnected components that work together to generate, transmit, and distribute electrical energy to end users.

What are the main components of a power system?

The main components of a power system include power plants, transmission lines, transformers, distribution lines, and end-use devices such as homes and businesses.

What is the purpose of a power system?

The purpose of a power system is to provide a reliable and efficient supply of electricity to meet the demands of consumers.

How is electricity generated in a power system?

Electricity is typically generated in power plants using various sources such as fossil fuels, nuclear energy, or renewable sources like wind or solar. The energy is then converted into electricity and sent to the transmission grid.

What are some challenges in power system design and operation?

Some challenges in power system design and operation include maintaining a balance between supply and demand, integrating renewable energy sources, and ensuring the reliability and security of the system.