Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the meaning of non-degenerate in statistical mechanics?

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1
    why do we say that a classically behaved gas is non-degenerate and a quantum behaved gas is degenerate?
    I can't get why the word of "degeneracy" here can distinguish two kinds of behavior of gas.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2
    does anyone know it?

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3
    http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/lectures/node65.html

This website is a great resource for physics students (like me). Here, he basically shows that we call matter "degenerate" if the Pauli Exclusion Principle is the main source of the pressure of the matter. Two identical fermions, such as electrons, can't be in the same quantum state at the same time. If this resistance to being in the same state is the main thing keeping the electrons apart, then the electron gas is behaving like a degenerate gas.

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4

Y2H

I completely disagree with nucl34rgg btw since a gas of bosons (which obviously doesn’t fallow the Pauli exclusion principle) can be degenerate. I advise you to check out the Degenerate Matter page on Wikipedia.

6. Dec 4, 2013 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook