What is the meaning of this circuit symbol?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wil3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
wil3
Messages
177
Reaction score
1
What is the meaning of the topleft most symbol in this Cockroft-Walton schematic?

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/F85/ISAS/FL77XCRN/F85ISASFL77XCRN.MEDIUM.jpg

It's the box with the zig zag line through it. I noticed that he is using boxes to denote resistors, but the zig zag line and current specification makes me think that it may be a fuse.

If such is the case, what is a suitable circuit breaker or fuse to use in this application? Will anything rated for a 100mA cutoff and wall AC be suitable?

If anyone would like to share some of the equations (aka charging time derivations, way to calculate max current intake, etc) for a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier, I would appreciate it. I am in high school, so please keep the calculus single-variable, if possible ;)

Thank you in advance for any responses.

And yes, berkeman, I am being supervised by an experienced adult :]
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Averagesupernova said:
I would say it is a fuse rated at .1 amp.

Me too.