What is the Median of a Density Function and How Can I Solve for It?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
ACE_99
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The probability density function is defined as

f(x) = (4/81)x(9-x^2) for 0 <= x <= 3
= 0 for every other value

Find the median value of the density.

Homework Equations


The median of a function is

integral from m to infinity of f(x)dx = 1/2


The Attempt at a Solution



I took the integral from m to 3 of (4/81)x(9-x^2).

This turned out to be

(18/81)x^2 -(1/81) x^4 = 1/2

I then evaluated the left hand side from m to 3 and simplified so that only the variable m is left. The equation I got was

(1/81)m^4 - (18/81)m^2 = -1/2

I know that I am suppose to solve for m in order to get the median but I'm not sure how to do this, and I am also unsure whether my procedure is correct.

Any help would be great thanks. Sorry bout the formatting I'm new to this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral looks okay. In the equation try setting

[tex] u = m^2 \Rightarrow u^2 = m^4[/tex]

Then solve the quadratic for [tex]u[/tex], and find [tex]m[/tex] from that. Remember that [tex]m[/tex] has to be between 0 and 3.