What is the Most Efficient Method for Finding the Determinant of an nxn Matrix?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
JoshW
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Shown In the picture. I went to the prof for help he said and i quote :" don't use laplas expansion to find the determinate, it will take you for ever."

Homework Equations


I don't even know how to do this. prof had no notes on this and Boas is a god awful book for learning anything.

The Attempt at a Solution


Add every row to the last row. 1/last row - every other row. then every row minus the last. but my prof wanted it solved with indices. I don't know what that is or how to apply it as it has never came up.
 
Attachments
  • 12166178_10153056823346059_206865039_n.jpg
    12166178_10153056823346059_206865039_n.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Adding one row to another and eliminate the order of the matrix, which may help.