Calculate the determinant of a 3x3 matrix

In summary, the student is trying to reduce the matrix to an upper triangular matrix but gets stuck. The determinant can be calculated through cofactors, but the student is not sure how to approach the problem through row reduction. The first step is good, but the student needs to make a zero at (3,2).
Cade
[Solved] Calculate the determinant of a 3x3 matrix

Homework Statement

Use elementary row operations to calculate the determinant of this 3x3 matrix.

Code:
1-a      1       1
   1   1-a       1
   1      1    1-a

Homework Equations

I think that the problem wants me to reduce this to an upper triangular matrix and multiply the diagonals to find the determinant. Scaling a row scales the determinant. Swapping a pair of rows/columns flips the sign of the determinant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to calculate the determinant through cofactors, but I don't know how to approach the problem through row reduction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to obtain a row filled with zeroes except for possibly one element. So for example, you will want to make a zero in the first row at the first and second columns (so in places (1,1) and (1,2) if you understand what I mean).

So, let's try to make a zero at (1,2) (=first row, second column). We can do that by subtracting the third column. What do you obtain when you did that?

To get an upper triangle matrix, I'd have to deal with the bottom-left cells, not the top-right cells. I've tried reducing the rows like this, but I get stuck:

Code:
1-a      1       1
   1   1-a       1
   1      1    1-a

R3 = R3 - R2

1-a      1       1
   1   1-a       1
   0     a      -a

R2 = R2 + R3

1-a      1       1
   1     1       1 - a
   0     a      -a

R1 = R1 - R2
-a     0       a
 1     1       1 - a
 0     a      -a

OK, first of all, reducing it to a triangular matrix is not always possible and not always the good thing to do. You can obviously do it if you like, but it isn't necessary. To calculate the determinant, you can make zeroes everywhere.

However, let's proceed your way. Your first step is good. A thing that immediately comes to mind after your first step is to make a zero at place (3,2). Can you think of a column operation that will make things work?

I could add column 3 to column 2, but I don't know if that's a permitted elementary operation. Also, my assignment sheet says that I can only use row operations.

Oh, I have it now.

Code:
1-a      1       1
   1   1-a       1
   1      1    1-a

R3 = R3 - R2

1-a      1       1
   1   1-a       1
   0     a      -a

R2 = R2 + R3

1-a      1       1
   1     1       1 - a
   0     a      -a

R1 = R1 - R2
-a     0       a
 1     1       1 - a
 0     a      -a

R2 = R2 * a
-a     0       a
 a     a       a - a^2
 0     a      -a

R2 = R1 + R2
-a     0       a
 0     a       2a - a^2
 0     a      -a

R3 = R3 - R2
-a     0       a
 0     a       2a - a2
 0     0      -a - 2a + a^2

The determinant is divided by a since I multiplied a row by a. The unsimplified determinant is (1/a)(-a)(a)(-a -2a + a^2)

Yes, this is correct!

I've just solved this in my previous post, thanks for your help. :)

I'm going to go learn LaTeX now.

Click to see what I did.
[tex]\left|\begin{array} {c c c}1-a & 1 & 1\\
1 & 1-a & 1 \\
1 & 1 & 1-a \end{array}\right|[/tex]

Thanks, that helps.

1. What is the formula for calculating the determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

The formula for calculating the determinant of a 3x3 matrix is:
det(A) = a11(a22a33 - a23a32) - a12(a21a33 - a23a31) + a13(a21a32 - a22a31)
Where A is the 3x3 matrix and aij represents the element in the ith row and jth column.

2. What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant of a matrix is a fundamental concept in linear algebra. It can be used to determine if a matrix has an inverse, the number of solutions to a system of linear equations, and the volume of a parallelepiped defined by the vectors in the matrix. It is also used in various applications such as solving optimization problems and calculating eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

3. How is the determinant related to the matrix's eigenvalues?

The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues. This means that if the determinant is zero, at least one of the eigenvalues must be zero. Additionally, the determinant can be used to calculate the characteristic polynomial of a matrix, which helps in finding the eigenvalues.

4. Can the determinant be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative. This occurs when the matrix has an odd number of negative entries in a row or column. In general, the sign of the determinant is determined by the number of row or column swaps needed to transform the matrix into row echelon form.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for calculating the determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts and tricks that can be used to calculate the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. One method is to use the Sarrus rule, which involves multiplying certain elements of the matrix and adding them together. Another method is to use the Laplace expansion, which involves breaking down the matrix into smaller matrices and calculating their determinants. Additionally, there are certain properties of determinants that can be used to simplify the calculation, such as the fact that the determinant of a triangular matrix is equal to the product of its diagonal elements.