What is the most efficient way to produce charged particles?

In summary, the most efficient way to produce charged particles such as protons, electrons, or ions is through electromagnetic showers caused by high-energy electrons hitting a target. Alternatively, existing charged particles can be released from a solid by heating a wire using thermionic emission. However, creating new particles is only possible in small amounts. Lasers do not produce particles, only coherent light.
physior
hello!

what is the most efficient way to produce charged particles?
like protons (H+) or electrons or ions or anything like that

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to really make new particles? Then electromagnetic showers should be the most efficient way - high-energetic electrons that hit a target. If you don't catch them, the newly created positrons will quickly annihilate with electrons again and you did not gain anything.
But where is the point? If you just want charged particles somewhere, it is sufficient to use existing ones, e. g. release electrons from a solid. This can be done by heating a wire.

no, I don't want to create new particles (can we create matter? not sure)
I just want to "produce" charged particles, yes, if heating a wire will give me electrons, that's what I need
but are you sure by heating a wire I can get electrons? how exactly?

physior said:
no, I don't want to create new particles (can we create matter? not sure)
Yes we can, but only in tiny amounts.

I just want to "produce" charged particles, yes, if heating a wire will give me electrons, that's what I need
but are you sure by heating a wire I can get electrons? how exactly?
Thermionic emission -. nearly every old screen (CRT) used that before flat screens became popular.

physior said:
this is what I am trying to find out, the most efficient way to create ions, protons, etc

Lasers don't produce particles. They produce coherent light.

The original question has been answered, so this thread is closed.

I've removed a long digression.

Nugatory said:
The original question has been answered, so this thread is closed.

I've removed a long digression.

not yet it isn't ;)

D

Likes berkeman
davenn said:
not yet it isn't ;)

Oops :)
Ok, let's try that again :):)

Likes davenn

What is the most efficient way to produce charged particles?

The most efficient way to produce charged particles is through a process called ionization. This involves using a high-energy source, such as a particle accelerator or an electrical discharge, to strip electrons from neutral atoms or molecules, resulting in the creation of charged particles.

What types of particle accelerators are used to produce charged particles?

Particle accelerators come in many different forms, but the most commonly used types for producing charged particles are linear accelerators (linacs) and circular accelerators (synchrotrons). Linacs accelerate particles in a straight line, while synchrotrons use powerful magnets to steer particles in a circular path.

Can charged particles be produced naturally?

Yes, charged particles can be produced naturally through various processes such as radioactive decay, lightning strikes, and solar flares. However, these natural methods are not as efficient as using artificial methods like ionization or particle accelerators.

What factors affect the efficiency of charged particle production?

The efficiency of charged particle production can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and energy of the source used, the composition and pressure of the target material, and the design and setup of the particle production system.

How are charged particles used in scientific research and applications?

Charged particles are used in a wide range of scientific research and applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment, materials analysis, and particle physics experiments. They are also used in industrial processes like ion implantation and surface modification.