What is the most efficient way to produce charged particles?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
physior
Messages
182
Reaction score
1
hello!

what is the most efficient way to produce charged particles?
like protons (H+) or electrons or ions or anything like that

thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to really make new particles? Then electromagnetic showers should be the most efficient way - high-energetic electrons that hit a target. If you don't catch them, the newly created positrons will quickly annihilate with electrons again and you did not gain anything.
But where is the point? If you just want charged particles somewhere, it is sufficient to use existing ones, e. g. release electrons from a solid. This can be done by heating a wire.
 
no, I don't want to create new particles (can we create matter? not sure)
I just want to "produce" charged particles, yes, if heating a wire will give me electrons, that's what I need
but are you sure by heating a wire I can get electrons? how exactly?
 
physior said:
no, I don't want to create new particles (can we create matter? not sure)
Yes we can, but only in tiny amounts.

I just want to "produce" charged particles, yes, if heating a wire will give me electrons, that's what I need
but are you sure by heating a wire I can get electrons? how exactly?
Thermionic emission -. nearly every old screen (CRT) used that before flat screens became popular.
 
physior said:
this is what I am trying to find out, the most efficient way to create ions, protons, etc

Lasers don't produce particles. They produce coherent light.
 
The original question has been answered, so this thread is closed.

I've removed a long digression.
 
Nugatory said:
The original question has been answered, so this thread is closed.

I've removed a long digression.

not yet it isn't ;)

D
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
davenn said:
not yet it isn't ;)

Oops :)
Ok, let's try that again :):)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn