Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the name to refer to the width of one graphic function

  1. Oct 20, 2008 #1

    I want to know the technical name of the width of a graphic funcion.

    In the example I give at the bottom, the width of the function is painted by an arrow. Maybe the noun is amplitude????

    http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8905/graphfh8.png [Broken]

    Thanks with anticipation
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Not amplitude, I would say either width, x extent, or delta x [tex]\Delta x[/tex]
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Welcome to PF!

    Hi lanz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

    Is this part of a larger problem?

    You seem to be asking for the name of something that has no physical or mathematical significance. :confused:
  5. Oct 21, 2008 #4
    Re: Welcome to PF!


    No, it is not a part of larger problem no it`s simply that question
  6. Oct 21, 2008 #5
    Thank you for teh answer but I can´t see the picture you have put
  7. Oct 21, 2008 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    I can see from the code that mgb_phys's LaTeX says "or ∆x" :wink:
  8. Oct 22, 2008 #7


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Of course, the distance you have shown with the arrow is NOT a property of the function alone. It depends upon the exact value of y also.

    If you meant that width where y is the y- coordinate of the focus, then your line, through the focus of the parabola and parallel to the directrix, is the "Latus Rectum" and your width is the length of the latus rectum. Of course, that only exists for conic sections.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook