What is the Nature of the Solution to x^2 = 1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
robertjford80
Messages
388
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



solve the following and determine if it is complex, real and/or imaginary

x2 = 1



The Attempt at a Solution



The answer is x = +-1 which I agree with but the book says that that is complex and real. How complex? Complex numbers have the form a + bi, there's no bi in that answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
##\mathbb{R} \subseteq \mathbb{C}##

A complex number ##c## can represented as ##c = a + bi## where ##a,b \in \mathbb{R}##

In this case, b=0. A purely imaginary number is when a=0.
 
robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement



solve the following and determine if it is complex, real and/or imaginary

x2 = 1



The Attempt at a Solution



The answer is x = +-1 which I agree with but the book says that that is complex and real. How complex? Complex numbers have the form a + bi, there's no bi in that answer.

They're trying to get you to see that real numbers are complex numbers. But it's a little misleading, since clearly if someone asks if 1 is "real or complex," the answer is real ... even though technically, the right answer is "both." I think this is a bit of a trick question.
 
thanks, I did feel tricked, but I get the point now.