What Is the Net Ionic Equation for HBr(aq) and NH₃(aq)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Barfolumu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ionic Net
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 12K views
Barfolumu
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"Write the net ionic equation for the reaction between HBr(aq) and NH_3(aq)"


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



H^+(aq) + Br^+(aq) + NH_4^+(aq) + OH^-(aq) --> NH_4Br(aq) + H_2O(l)

[edit]
It's an online application that is a bit finicky, and I was curious if I'm at least heading the right direction, and if I'm not, then where exactly I'm messing up? I also posted this in the Chemistry forum, but then found this one. Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Barfolumu said:

Homework Statement



"Write the net ionic equation for the reaction between HBr(aq) and NH_3(aq)"


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



H^+(aq) + Br^+(aq) + NH_4^+(aq) + OH^-(aq) --> NH_4Br(aq) + H_2O(l)


[edit]
It's an online application that is a bit finicky, and I was curious if I'm at least heading the right direction, and if I'm not, then where exactly I'm messing up? I also posted this in the Chemistry forum, but then found this one. Thanks in advance.

Check the bolded items.
 
Thank you very much. The Barium should've remained an ion, and NH_3 is not equivalent to NH_4 + OH, so the net ionic equation is H^+(aq) + NH_3(aq) --> NH_4^+(aq).