What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
WWGD said:
Still trying to understand eigenvalues/eigenvectors in Face recognition process. Instead of "Phase Space" we have an actual " Face Space" , and a notion of distance between faces ( to decide whether two faces belong to the same person). So why do some believe Mathematicians are weird?

This seems like a topic for the Eigenlounge

hmmm...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
StoneTemplePython said:
This seems like a topic for the Eigenlounge

hmmm...
Eigen D#$% right!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: StoneTemplePython
I really miss Miss Miss(issippi). Sorry, couldn't help myself.
 
WWGD said:
Still trying to understand eigenvalues/eigenvectors in Face recognition process. Instead of "Phase Space" we have an actual " Face Space" , and a notion of distance between faces ( to decide whether two faces belong to the same person). So why do some believe Mathematicians are weird?

what a difference a word makes...

in this vein -- if I tell non-mathematically inclined people "I really like decompositions" that could sound really strange, particularly if they watch a lot of CSI, right?

I suppose German speakers will think I'm saying that I like "die Komposition(s)"... so there's that.
 
How do they give mice tumors in labs?

Over 100 million are killed in lab experiments in the US alone each year. I doubt they waste money on anesthetics either.
 
StoneTemplePython said:
what a difference a word makes...

in this vein -- if I tell non-mathematically inclined people "I really like decompositions" that could sound really strange, particularly if they watch a lot of CSI, right?

I suppose German speakers will think I'm saying that I like "die Komposition(s)"... so there's that.
Yes, I remember a German ad with a baby telling her mom <Sarcasm/Joke> " Die mamma, die" . Which of course is ready for use outside of Germany without any translation.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: StoneTemplePython
skyshrimp said:
How do they give mice tumors in labs?

Over 100 million are killed in lab experiments in the US alone each year. I doubt they waste money on anesthetics either.
Yes, it's kind of disgusting. Can't one use computerized simulations? Besides, has anyone tested to what extent one can extrapolate from mice to people? Maybe that is what the book " Of mice and men" was about?
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Can't one use computerized simulations?
You can't test for unknown responses in animals with a computerized simulation that would require knowing the unknown responses before the simulation was made.

skyshrimp said:
How do they give mice tumors in labs?
Mice can be given tumors in many different ways.
There are some lines of mice that are genetically predisposed to developing tumors.
I have done it with an injection of hybridoma cells (kind of a liquid tumor) into the abdominal body cavity, to make the mice make a lot of monoclonal antibody.
I think in many cases, injecting a few cancerous cells of a solid tumor would produce a tumor, given enough time for it to grow.
Injections don't usually require anesthesia.
 
BillTre said:
You can't test for unknown responses in animals with a computerized simulation that would require knowing the unknown responses before the simulation was made..
Yes, I had assumed a history of responses had been analyzed to be able to mimic "standard" mouse responses.
 
WWGD said:
Yes, I remember a German ad with a baby telling her mom <Sarcasm/Joke> " Die mamma, die" . Which of course is ready for use outside of Germany without any translation.

No joke:

I was riding on the muni bus in San Francisco late-ish one night just a few years ago. A passenger standing in front was facing everyone and wearing an all black t-shirt with white letters on it that said "die Techies, die". My first thought was oh, isn't that quaint an American guy with a t-shirt saying "die Techniscie " whatever. Then I did a double take and realized it had absolutely nothing to do with German.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
StoneTemplePython said:
No joke:

I was riding on the muni bus in San Francisco late-ish one night just a few years ago. A passenger standing in front was facing everyone and wearing an all black t-shirt with white letters on it that said "die Techies, die". My first thought was oh, isn't that quaint an American guy with a t-shirt saying "die Techniscie " whatever. Then I did a double take and realized it had absolutely nothing to do with German.
Why was he in SF of all places then?
 
WWGD said:
Yes, I had assumed a history of responses had been analyzed to be able to mimic "standard" mouse responses.
I know very little about this, way less than you, I would just thought that mice are very simple organisms to model biochemically. But I know little about this and I don't want to overstep by spouting nonsense.
 
I don't remember ever seeing a woman smoking a pipe nor tobacco.
 
StoneTemplePython said:
No joke:

I was riding on the muni bus in San Francisco late-ish one night just a few years ago. A passenger standing in front was facing everyone and wearing an all black t-shirt with white letters on it that said "die Techies, die". My first thought was oh, isn't that quaint an American guy with a t-shirt saying "die Techniscie " whatever. Then I did a double take and realized it had absolutely nothing to do with German.
Reminds me of a story my English teacher at school once reported. He was on a bus in London and his neighbor started a conversation by: "It's a nice die to die, isn't it?" And no, it wasn't a Klingon.
 
WWGD said:
I don't remember ever seeing a woman smoking a pipe nor tobacco.
Do self-rolled cigarettes count?
 
Nine years ago, I installed wood floors in the living room and on two flights of stairs. I swore that I would never do that again.

Never say never...

This weekend, I started getting ready to install wood floors in all of the bedrooms. The boxes are over 50 lbs each and I carried 36 of them up two flights of stairs yesterday. :oldruck:

GettingStarted.JPG
 
Attachments
  • GettingStarted.JPG
    GettingStarted.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
fresh_42 said:
Reminds me of a story my English teacher at school once reported. He was on a bus in London and his neighbor started a conversation by: "It's a nice die to die, isn't it?" And no, it wasn't a Klingon.
Or when I (purposefully) asked for the singular for 'dice' and pretended not to hear the reply, just to embarrass my friend into shouting 'die,!die!, die!'
 
WWGD said:
Or when I (purposefully) asked for the singular for 'dice' and pretended not to hear the reply, just to embarrass my friend into shouting 'die,!die!, die!'

I think this is part of a Curb episode, where someone sees/ overhears Larry saying this, and he gets in hot water with his dad's nursing home?
 
StoneTemplePython said:
I think this is part of a Curb episode, where someone sees/ overhears Larry saying this, and he gets in hot water with his dad's nursing home?
Ah, just like faces are starting to repeat --more lookalikes are being found throughout the world -- it seems like the same is happening for jokes, in that the same joke is being created independently in different times, places.
 
fresh_42 said:
Reminds me of a story my English teacher at school once reported. He was on a bus in London and his neighbor started a conversation by: "It's a nice die to die, isn't it?" And no, it wasn't a Klingon.

I had to work through this phonetically -- the klingon comment through me for a loop. (Bad callback:) I wonder if the neighbor was from Sydney?

- - - - -
WWGD said:
Why was he in SF of all places then?
I've seen a lot of outrageous stuff in that town. It ain't New York.
 
StoneTemplePython said:
I wonder if the neighbor was from Sydney?
Australian and London sounds very similar, if you don't know them. My nephews can distinguish them, I can't. Scottish is phonetically even more strange. They often pronounce vowels as in languages, which pronounce what they write, i.e. most others. "a" and "o" are so to say "correct".
 
fresh_42 said:
Australian and London sounds very similar, if you don't know them. My nephews can distinguish them, I can't. Scottish is phonetically even more strange. They often pronounce vowels as in languages, which pronounce what they write, i.e. most others. "a" and "o" are so to say "correct".
But I love it when they say watarrrrr!
 
WWGD said:
I don't remember ever seeing a woman smoking a pipe nor tobacco.
I was following a pick-up truck in a southern state several years ago. There were two kids riding in the back; probably brother and sister around 10 or 11 years old. I was shocked when the little boy pulled a plug of tobacco out of his back pocked and bit off a big chunk. Then I was really shocked when the little girl pulled out her's and bit of a big chunk too. :oldsurprised:
 
I cringe when I see someone texting or looking at the phone while crossing the street against a red light. Yet again
someone almost getting killed. I imagine the inner thoughts: "hmmm...read the text 30 seconds ahead , or be run over
by a car...hmmm... let me think".
 
WWGD said:
hmmm... let me think
I'm sure that part doesn't apply. :oldeyes:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and fresh_42
Borg said:
I'm sure that part doesn't apply. :oldeyes:
True, and I think there is an additional/parallel issue of self-centeredness/selfishness: " I am too busy checking my texts, let others pay attention instead , and I won't be bothered".
 
WWGD said:
True, and I think there is an additional/parallel issue of self-centeredness/selfishness: " I am too busy checking my texts, let others pay attention instead , and I won't be bothered".
Especially fun are the ones who cross the center line and drive head-on at oncoming traffic with that attitude.
 
Borg said:
Especially fun are the ones who cross the center line and drive head-on at oncoming traffic with that attitude.
Except when I am trying to cross the street at the same time :(.