What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
StoneTemplePython said:
By the way, I really like dumb word association games. Frequently the other people don't even know they're playing though!
Yea, I end up conversations often wondering: what the @#$ was s/he talking about? Pretty sure the other party feels the same way.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Janus said:
Why am I so entertained by my GPS attempting to pronounce Hawaiian streets and place names?
Well, it's fun, in a way, kind of... . :blushing:One time, I changed the default "voice command" prompt to "Hello, Hal" , but it never would respond... it just

sat there on the dash, and silently mocked me... . :oldgrumpy:Of course, when I slammed my locked pickup door closed, and my keys were still inside, I heard... " I'm sorry Dave ! "

Hell, it didn't even know my real name ... . :oldmad: . lol.

.
 
Last edited:
OCR said:
Well, it's fun, in a way, kind of... . :blushing:One time, I changed the default "voice command" prompt to "Hello, Hal" , but it never would respond... it just

sat there on the dash, and silently mocked me... . :oldgrumpy:Of course, when I slammed my locked pickup door closed, and my keys were still inside, I heard... " I'm sorry Dave ! "

Hell, it didn't even know my real name ... . :oldmad: . lol.

.
A computer or so ago, I replaced the sounds that Windows played with clips of HAL's voice. When I tried to do something not allowed, I would hear "I'm sorry Dave. I can't do that. ", and when I shut it down, it sang "Daisy".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42, OCR and nuuskur
Janus said:
Why am I so entertained by my GPS attempting to pronounce Hawaiian streets and place names?
Because that means that you are driving around in Hawaii? That would be entertaining for me. :woot:
 
Borg said:
Because that means that you are driving around in Hawaii? That would be entertaining for me. :woot:
Only for another day, we catch a red-eye for home tonight .
 
Boston Dynamics and Madame Tussauds should team up and make very realistic, humanoid robots together.

Naughty robots that do very naughty things!

Amirite?

Maybe they could get them to cheat at cards or something.
 
Last edited:
Here's another ponderer: Why is it that the people who walk like they are trying to squash a bug with every step spend most of their time pacing back and forth in their Hotel room?. We had one on our last night. CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP to one side of the room, then two seconds later, CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP back to the other side, a slight pause, then CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP back again ...
 
I added another girl to the list of kids I want for a total of six, Sophia. So now it's Christopher Jr, Samantha, Maxwell, Sabrina, Alexander and Sophia in that order. I don't plan to die so quick.
 
Why don't companies sell carbonated pure fruit juice?

The only ones I've found are less than 10% juice.
 
Chris Riccard said:
I added another girl to the list of kids I want for a total of six, Sophia. So now it's Christopher Jr, Samantha, Maxwell, Sabrina, Alexander and Sophia in that order. I don't plan to die so quick.
Congratulations!
 
fresh_42 said:
Congratulations!
Hehe, I don't have the kids yet, I have to make a lot of money first. ;)
 
Chris Riccard said:
Hehe, I don't have the kids yet, I have to make a lot of money first. ;)
Though you have their names already ... In this case, I recommend to work on your attitude towards women first. The woman in question might want to have a word in it, too, and in numbers as well as names!
 
I have to say this is non negotiable, not only do I want two wives they must give me each three baby's and use hormone therapy to assure that I get the right sex. ;)
 
Chris Riccard said:
I have to say this is non negotiable, not only do I want two wives they must give me each three baby's and use hormone therapy to assure that I get the right sex. ;)
Your name doesn't sound Arabic. So I guess your only other option is Utah. :biggrin:
 
Utah if need be, strangely I've been training all the little girls to be successful with my microcontroller powers, it's kinda cool that I get to raise the future. God knows I waited long enough.
 
I'll learn about it more when the times right, did I mention l want to deliver my own baby's, a hospital just in case with all it's resources but when it comes to this I want to do it myself.
 
My breakfast.

breakfast.jpg
 
Attachments
  • breakfast.jpg
    breakfast.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 421
That moment when you drive on your car and tell everyone talking too loud to shut up so you can see better.

:doh:
 
Wonder if the Indy or Daytona 500 would be fun with self-driving cars?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
This morning, as I sat waiting at a traffic light by myself, I looked up at the slowly moving clouds in the early morning light and thought to myself "heat exchangers".
 
Borg said:
This morning, as I sat waiting at a traffic light by myself, I looked up at the slowly moving clouds in the early morning light and thought to myself "heat exchangers".
Yep. There's a nice word in my language to describe that. It cannot be translated in a way which covers all its connotations, so I'll describe it: "illness caused by profession".

cp. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/you-know-youre-a-nerd-if.895558/#post-5633537
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara and Borg
I kind of scoffed and laughed it off when a group of psychics did a ceremony to clear the city of evil spirits.
But then the landlord association decided to change their annual meeting outside of the city?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Still trying to understand eigenvalues/eigenvectors in Face recognition process. Instead of "Phase Space" we have an actual " Face Space" , and a notion of distance between faces ( to decide whether two faces belong to the same person). So why do some believe Mathematicians are weird?
 
WWGD said:
Still trying to understand eigenvalues/eigenvectors in Face recognition process. Instead of "Phase Space" we have an actual " Face Space" , and a notion of distance between faces ( to decide whether two faces belong to the same person). So why do some believe Mathematicians are weird?
Distance is trivial. As you have match - doesn't match at the end of any process, the discrete metric is given. However, I assume the actual metric is a better example than this. But this is only my eigenopinion and maybe I should better grab my eigennose. I first typed eigennoise. Freud?
 
fresh_42 said:
Distance is trivial. As you have match - doesn't match at the end of any process, the discrete metric is given. However, I assume the actual metric is a better example than this. But this is only my eigenopinion and maybe I should better grab my eigennose. I first typed eigennoise. Freud?
Well, Ok, yes, my bad, I was referring to the loss function used to decide whether two faces are equal or not. EDIT So we compute whether the faces are "close enough" to represent the same person.
 
Last edited: