What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 752K views
And then you can extrapolate from pasta.
If you're saying "Past Data" and everyone thinks you're saying pasta, you may not be pronouncing correctly. Slow down ( Or pronounce Data as "Day-ta" , not Da-Ta). Most places have decaf version of usual drinks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Yes, the ones with the pictures of the polar bears surfing on top of melting glaciers.
You should have said this earlier. Mine have this one on it:
upload_2018-11-27_4-6-8.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-11-27_4-6-8.png
    upload_2018-11-27_4-6-8.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 681
fresh_42 said:
You should have said this earlier. Mine have this one on it:
View attachment 234701
That is not what they meant when they said they wanted to see the logs...
 
fresh_42 said:
For them, Clyde has the appropriate answer!
Are those from the pasta?
 
Travelling for work today and having lunch in a pub. It has a sign saying
Pub sign said:
I only drink on days that start with a T -
Tuesday
Thursday
Today
Tomorrow
Thaturday
Thunday
It's slightly annoying me that the days not being name-checked are Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so "today" and "tomorrow" double count at least one day.

I feel like a pint would make me feel better, but the afternoon is unlikely to go well if I do.
 
Ibix said:
I feel like a pint would make me feel better, but the afternoon is unlikely to go well if I do.
Not as long as the sun is above the yard!
 
fresh_42 said:
sun is above the yard!
Yardarm, yer land-lubber.

It's amazing to me that we managed to get an empire if 11am was the time to start drinking. Presumably we did all our looting and plundering early in the mornings, when the hangovers made us extra cranky?

Edit: explains how we lost the empire, though.
 
Ibix said:
Yardarm, yer land-lubber.
That comes when you rely on Wiki. Would you had understood "Rah"?
It's amazing to me that we managed to get an empire if 11am was the time to start drinking.
Reminds me of the pyramids.
Presumably we did all our looting and plundering early in the mornings, when the hangovers made us extra cranky?
Finally I understood where this song came from: Looting all over the world!
Edit: explains how we lost the empire, though.
Not really. I mean, how could you obtain the skills otherwise? And Ronnie is always better at his evening sessions than in the afternoon!
 
fresh_42 said:
That comes when you rely on Wiki. Would you had understood "Rah"?
That page actually has a section headed "sun above the yardarm"... The yard is the horizontal beam above the sail. The yardarm is the tip of the yard.

Rah, no, I don't recognise. Unless it's an alternate spelling of the Egyptian sun god?
fresh_42 said:
Not really.
It would. "Drunk in charge of a country" should probably be an offence of some sort.
 
Upcoming PF Insight: A gang banger is not (just?) a British type sausage.
 
I have seen bumper stickers that say:
"God is my copilot", and
"Dog is my copilot" (Dog is God spelled backwards), but
now I have seen "Cod is my copilot" (on a pick-up with lots of fishing stickers).
 
mrgrtt123 said:
I want to live in Mars, but who will take care of my border collie at home?
Don't worry, it will be dead long before this is a problem.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear me-e, happy birthday to me
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mrgrtt123, WWGD, BillTre and 2 others
Got six bags of groceries at the supermarket but I arrived home with only 4. I thought I had a few more years until senility :(.
 
nuuskur said:
happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear me-e, happy birthday to me

I hope that it's not just you that remembers it's your hatch day. :nb)
 
mrgrtt123 said:
I hope that it's not just you that remembers it's your hatch day. :nb)
interesting terminology :oldbiggrin:
my family knows, of course :partytime:
 
Got the same email this year. Pure poetry, all warmth: "Have a merry Christmas , or whatever it is you celebrate".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Why do I always forget what I am about to post right before I post it
 
Stephenk53 said:
Why do I always forget what I am about to post right before I post it
You need to remember what you forgot. Did you forget that?
 
Stephenk53 said:
Why do I always forget what I am about to post right before I post it
Douglas Adams, of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame, wrote a very short story about a man going to the lost property office and saying he's lost something... he doesn't remember what it was... but it wasn't a very good whatever it was... it was a bit like a sieve...
 
WWGD said:
You need to remember what you forgot. Did you forget that?

I totally forgot to remember what I forgot
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur and WWGD
There is a guy called Juan Garcia in my building. He is the only Juan.(EDIT: Pronounce Juan: Who - Ann )
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
Every time I venture out of Math, Physical "Exact" Sciences I feel like puling my hair. Precise definitions seem to disappear. How the #$% do we define a Latent Class? 300 videos in YouBoob on motivating the concept-- nothing wrong with that-- but no actual definition: Aaaaaargh... After 3 days I think I more or less figured it out.
 
I think 'irregardless' has met it's match ( or at least close): 'unrelentless'.
 
One of my new favorites: "Please forget everything you have learned at school; because you did not learn it." (E. Landau) or one from Erdös: "You do not learn mathematics, you just get used to it."
 
fresh_42 said:
One of my new favorites: "Please forget everything you have learned at school; because you did not learn it." (E. Landau)
cc: @Stephenk53
 
Last edited: