What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,251
fresh_42 said:
Why not. Andrea is a men's name.
How about Rebecco, or Davida? Melindo?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,252
fresh_42 said:
Why not. Andrea is a men's name.
Isn't it Andreas? A man's name is the plural of women's name.

• #5,253
WWGD said:
Isn't it Andreas? A man's name is the plural of women's name.
Andrea is an Italian male name. And not few of Italian men have Maria as second name.

• #5,254
fresh_42 said:
Andrea is an Italian male name.
Isn't Andreas a male German nam

• #5,256
fresh_42 said:
Yes, Andrea female, Andreas male. But not in Italy. I don't know whether Anfrea is for both in Italy.
Here is a (famous - at least here) example: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Bocelli
What if first name is Ann and last name is Drea? Anyway, I think we wore out the name topic.

• #5,257
WWGD said:
What if first name is Ann and last name is Drea? Anyway, I think we wore out the name topic.
The last name of Ann is Arbor.

• #5,258
fresh_42 said:
The last name of Ann is Arbor.
I thought it was 'Aconda' or 'Ticipation'.

• #5,259
WWGD said:
I thought it was 'Aconda' or 'Ticipation'.
What shall I say. My weird relatives live in MI, not FL. And I have no kind of patience.

• #5,260
Pretty elaborate instructions to cook my microwave food. Pinch holes, cook for 3 minutes, then remove remainder of cover and stir food, etc. I just put it in for 4-5 minutes and nuke it. Maybe Germans, Swiss or Japanese have the discipline to follow to the letter.

• #5,261
WWGD said:
Maybe Germans, Swiss or Japanese have the discipline to follow to the letter.
Don't quote me! I managed to burn water.

• #5,262
fresh_42 said:
Why do you want to refresh your python?
Ah, well,... sad things happen to one's python as one gets older... :cry:

Likes WWGD
  • #5,263
fresh_42 said:
Don't quote me! I managed to burn water.
oops

• #5,264
I never could get dumplings right. They're supposed to take 20 minutes to cook in a soup. I tried microwaving them for 3.5 minutes today. They were on a plate with a little water and a plate cover to make steam and they turned out great. I'll just pop them into a soup or stew pre-cooked now. I had them with pumpkin and coconut soup today.

Very nice.

Likes collinsmark
  • #5,265
DEvens said:
Are you a stand-up comic?
I do most of my comedy sitting down, so 'no'.
Maybe it will be The Apollo?
I think the Apophis Theater would be more appropriate, given the date.

"99942_Apophis [...] hit Earth on April 13, 2029"
"I will die on Monday, February 19, 2029"

In the meanwhile, I'm quite enjoying making graphs.

2019.09.14.death.age.by.country.png

This ones creation was inspired by someone on twitter who complained that the Netherlands was a complete and utter failure, because there weren't enough bugs*.

I didn't engage the person, but would have liked to have asked them how many bugs they had in their house.

-----------
*There were other things, but I don't want to hog the random stage.

• #5,266
Interesting, unusual problem when tutoring. But seems to tough for intro class: find a quadratic equation without real roots without solving it. One possibility is x(x+1)=-5 ( or any negative number > 1), giving us x^2+x+5. Idea is that since -5 is negative, it must be the product of positive and negative and each larger than 1 in absolute value ( in order to equal -5), which is impossible. Scratching my head on how this belongs in an intro math class.

• #5,267
Sure it does. Take the normal parabola and shift it one up.

• #5,268
Occurs if and only if discriminant is negative. Totally high school friendly :D

• #5,269
fresh_42 said:
Sure it does. Take the normal parabola and shift it one up.
That is not allowed in here because too obvious. ##x^2+c;c>0## clearly has no real root. Must be a "full" quadratic ##ax^2+bx+c##.

• #5,270
##1x^2 + 0x + c ##, then?

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and dlgoff
  • #5,271
I approached the hare Krishna, only one that did. Just asked them where I can get a good full hair cut.

• #5,272
nuuskur said:
##1x^2 + 0x + c ##, then?
No, that was excluded for same reason. Too obvious.

• #5,273
Take a trivial example that meets the criteria and shift it. E.g ##x^2 +1 \to (x-c)^2 +1 ## tadaa!

• #5,274
Choose a random triple ##(a,b,c)##, roll the dice ##100## times and at least one triple will do.

• #5,275
But this has to be done at an intro level. I know it is a simple problem overall but these are entry level students. and they ask for actual solution not probabilistic argument.

• #5,276
The good old cone sections work for high schoolers. The rest are just coordinate systems or stretches, also school stuff.

• #5,277
WWGD said:
But this has to be done at an intro level. I know it is a simple problem overall but these are entry level students. and they ask for actual solution not probabilistic argument.
The analytical geometry approach mentioned by @fresh_42 meets your criteria. Write the equation, a two column table and the usual cartesian graph on the board (or screen). Col_1 contains trial values, col_2 the computed results (or just rough estimates). Plot the table on the graph as a parabola. Keep it simple.

This approach appeals to geometry types who recognize the shape from the ploynomial, list lovers who see numerical analysis and general math students who see an equation plotted. For AP students modify a few parameters a la @nuuskur and watch the parabola change.

Not sure where the Krishna's fit. :smile:

[Edit: added a smiley face to indicate I was humorously quoting the Krishna bit as if they were going to teach @WWGD 's math class.]

Last edited:
  • #5,278
If people were that good in math, the drink "Half and Half" would instead be called "One".

Likes Klystron
  • #5,279
Klystron said:
The analytical geometry approach mentioned by @fresh_42 meets your criteria. Write the equation, a two column table and the usual cartesian graph on the board (or screen). Col_1 contains trial values, col_2 the computed results (or just rough estimates). Plot the table on the graph as a parabola. Keep it simple.

This approach appeals to geometry types who recognize the shape from the ploynomial, list lovers who see numerical analysis and general math students who see an equation plotted. For AP students modify a few parameters a la @nuuskur and watch the parabola change. Not sure where the Krishna's fit.
Krishnas? Did I sleep through something major again?

• #5,280
WWGD said:
Not sure, but can we change the subject? My dishes were lately so far from Krishna, I mean further away than any American dish.

• #5,281
fresh_42 said:
Not sure, but can we change the subject? My dishes were lately so far from Krishna, I mean further away than any American dish.
"So far from Krishna"? I am not hip to your Deutsche slang.

• #5,283
fresh_42 said:
Anti-vegetarian. Very anti.
Your dad's sister is called vegetarian?

Likes strangerep
  • #5,284
WWGD said:
Your dad's sister is called vegetarian?
Guess she prefers Lizzy.

• #5,285
For what it is worth...
WWGD said:
I approached the hare Krishna, only one that did. Just asked them where I can get a good full hair cut.
WWGD said:
For years I thought people were saying Hairy Krishnas. But most shave their heads!? Time to sleep...

Likes WWGD