What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 752K views
WWGD said:
I think 'irregardless' has met it's match ( or at least close): 'unrelentless'.
People keep telling me to "hang fire". They mean "don't do this just yet, we might not need to do it at all". But that's what "hold fire", "hold on", or "hang on" mean. Presumably someone just completed the pattern. But a "hang fire" is a kind of weapons malfunction that's frequently fatal to the user: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_fire

It irritates me every time.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith, WWGD, Bystander and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
One of my new favorites: "Please forget everything you have learned at school; because you did not learn it." (E. Landau) or one from Erdös: "You do not learn mathematics, you just get used to it."

That is so true, I’ve just started college and I already forgot a lot and I forgot what I even forgot
 
Stephenk53 said:
That is so true, I’ve just started college and I already forgot a lot and I forgot what I even forgot
I'll remember that (last one on this, I promise.) regardless and hang fire unrelenlessly.But I could care less.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
I'll remember that (last one on this, I promise.) regardless and hang fire unrelenlessly.But I could care less.
There have been more quotations on the site I got those from, e.g. Mathematics is music of the mind, music is the mathematics of the soul. (D. Charms (sic!))

Just saying, IAHFU.
 
fresh_42 said:
Just saying, IAHFU.
Gesundheit??
 
fresh_42 said:
Thank you, regardless and hang fire unrelenlessly!
How did you guess the motto in my family seal??
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith
WWGD said:
How did you guess the motto in my family seal??
I think I saw it somewhere on tv but can't remember ...

upload_2018-12-6_20-30-21.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-12-6_20-30-21.png
    upload_2018-12-6_20-30-21.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 366
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and nuuskur
I forgot my other rant ( no, it's not "Get off my lawn!") : the phrase " At a fraction of the cost" , which, strangely, assumes a fraction is a small number. How about 100/1, 20000/1, etc?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Weird,
My shoe soles are wearing out unevenly. I tried to put my body weight evenly over each foot.
Let's see if this works in next ew weeks.
 
Wife said "That's a bit half fetched." Probably meant "Far baked".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, fresh_42 and Ibix
Jonathan Scott said:
Wife said "That's a bit half fetched." Probably meant "Far baked".
For some reason, that reminds me of a story told by the late Humphrey Lyttelton, whose hobbies included bird watching. An interviewer once asked him:

"You're a bit of an orthinologist (sic), aren't you?"​

He couldn't think of a witty reply at the time, but on the way home it came to him:

"No, I'm more of a word botcher"​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and Ibix
Jonathan Scott said:
Wife said "That's a bit half fetched." Probably meant "Far baked".
I like that one! It's like "not thought to the end". I see hundreds of applications!
 
Jonathan Scott said:
Wife said "That's a bit half fetched." Probably meant "Far baked".
You're married to "Mrs. Malaprop?":wink:
 
I have colonoscopy in the morning. Bends in the colon can make passing the scope uncomfortable and in some cases cause pain. Occasionally, the pain can be so severe that the procedure has to be stopped. There's a 1 in 100 chance of a perforation when removing large polyps which will need surgery :nb)
 
It makes more sense: hey there Delilah, not hey there saliva.And, to the guy in the table next to mine : it is dumkopf , not dumf*ck.
 
Wow, two women fighting it out, beating the crap out of each other, just outside the supermarket. Jerry!,Jerry!...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
I guess you regretted wearing no hat, so you could walk around and collect some bucks.
Iocal cops won't let me in on their action.
 
Strange. My carton of eggs from last time contained all "twin eggs", so I only need to use one egg instead of two. Maybe that has a special meaning in some cultures; to me it just means good luck: more food for the same price :).
 
Started working on a new project at work and it's the same old thing - overly complex code built by someone who then left and nobody understands how it works. :oldruck:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Borg said:
Started working on a new project at work and it's the same old thing - overly complex code built by someone who then left and nobody understands how it works. :oldruck:
Let me guess - there's exactly one comment in the code, and it says "I don't understand this next bit - Dave wrote it for me".
 
Ibix said:
Let me guess - there's exactly one comment in the code, and it says "I don't understand this next bit - Dave wrote it for me".
Comments? :oldeyes:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
The architecture may be documented on an unreferenced Wiki someplace. But then again, maybe not.

I think that what I might have to do is write a machine learning program that will predict the slowdown of productivity based on the complexity of code being checked in and then create some pretty graphs of the results (for the managers). :oldbiggrin:
 
I can suggest one metric: number of times a function is cut-and-paste into the same program, with only the function and argument names changed.