What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
see, you didn't say "going to go to the pub". That settles is: "going to go" is slang, strange incorrect English. Nothing to see here :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nuuskur said:
see, you didn't say "going to go to the pub". That settles is: "going to go" is slang, strange incorrect English. Nothing to see here :)

of this is to do with going not tense.

If the event involves a going rather than a doing then a go can be utilised

I'm on a bus so it's hard to type!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree here with Pinball, going to go is more when you are in planning mode.
 
Last edited:
I got either 78% or 87% on my online dyslexia quiz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and dlgoff
Borg said:
At least you didn't get 8%7. That would really be bad.
Is that the modulus operator, giving me 1?
 
I still have a hard time believing that ten years ago is the 2000's and not the 1990's. Where did all the time go.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
We have new starters in the office who are half my age. People half my age should still have to hold their mummy's hand to cross the road, not be competent team members...
 
Temperature in my room was actually colder than that in the refrigerator. I would put things in the fridge to warm them up...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
Awkward Halloween exchange:

"Ha-ha, great costume, man"

"What costume?"

...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and Ibix
Sometimes it's quite easy to see who payed attention at school and who did not. Many people get pale if they look out an airplane window in heavy weather and see how the wings move. I'll become pale if they don't.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
It's election day in the U.S.

GoVote.jpg
 
Attachments
  • GoVote.jpg
    GoVote.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 393
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
I was walking to the train this morning and got overtaken by a guy hurrying for (I guess) the one before mine. As he rounded the corner of a pub he was briefly illuminated by what turned out to be the hazard lights of a delivery truck. It didn't change much about his dark-coloured coat but his shiny shoes did reflect quite well, and flickered as he was hurrying along. Just for a second it looked like his feet had caught fire. The lack of screaming convinced me I was wrong, but it wasn't until I'd turned the corner myself and seen the truck that I worked out what I had really seen.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Just testing how many nested spoiler tags I can post. So, PF can handle at least 10.
Sorry for wasting your time. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Ibix
DennisN said:
Just testing how many nested spoiler tags I can post. So, PF can handle at least 10.
Sorry for wasting your time. :smile:
I just hit reply and read the message source. :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, WWGD, DennisN and 1 other person
At the Vietnamese noodle shop: all Westerners eating with chopsticks, all Asians eating with fork and knife. Me being the exception.
 
Every time I watch The Martian, I have a craving for potatoes. :oldtongue:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
Yesterdays new potatoes, cold with the skins on, are fantastic.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
It seems to me we don't get many homework questions here on optics.
 
CWatters said:
It seems to me we don't get many homework questions here on optics.
That's because schoolchildren shouldn't be drinking spirits.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters and Ibix
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/about-physics-forums/ said:
Big things are planned for winter 2018…
Winter is near @Greg Bernhardt.
 
No, not the female egg (An Ova), ANOVA! I cannot use an ova to test the hypothesis.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
WWGD said:
No, not the female egg (An Ova), ANOVA! I cannot use an ova to test the hypothesis.
I thought un oeuf is enough.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD, fresh_42 and Ibix
DrGreg said:
I thought un oeuf is enough.
Listen vairy carefully! I shall test zis 'ypothesis only once.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
DrGreg said:
I thought un oeuf is enough.
Ova and out.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
I wonder if kids use us for their excuses at school.

Teacher: Floyd, don't fall asleep!
Floyd: I'm sorry, I had a physics tutorial yesterday.
Teacher: So what?
Floyd: But he sits in Canberra!
 
Why does the text at the top of the screen move when I put away my virtual keyboard? It looks like a glitch but it always ends up fixing itself almost instantly
 
Will have it done ipso fatso. Or did I hear it wrong?