What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
I am not always 100% in agreement with market fundamentalists. Same service ---shredding docs --- for $4 a pound in 1 place
and for $.99 a pound right across the street. And both places have been in business for more than 10 years.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
45243692_2140677575998715_5975699212807962624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fham1-1.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 45243692_2140677575998715_5975699212807962624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fham1-1.jpg
    45243692_2140677575998715_5975699212807962624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fham1-1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 619
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
Why have sub-atomic particles arranged themselves into lifeforms?

Yeah, I'm drunk posting. Do I get a cookie?
 
skyshrimp said:
Why have sub-atomic particles arranged themselves into lifeforms?
There's a lot of alcohol in nebulae. Somebody has to do something about it. We're the universe's liver, basically[1].

https://m.phys.org/news/2014-09-alcohol-clouds-space.html
skyshrimp said:
Yeah, I'm drunk posting. Do I get a cookie?
No. You're just fulfilling your duty to the universe.

[1] Credit to... someone. Iain M Banks, maybe?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: skyshrimp
I can't stand the recent trend of blasting sound from all sorts of devices in public...without using #$%^ headphones.
 
WWGD said:
I can't stand the recent trend of blasting sound from all sorts of devices in public...without using #$%^ headphones.
Practice this:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and dlgoff
Stephenk53 said:
Maybe it was a large order? I’m kind of grasping at straws to explain that one
My suspicions is a typo. Maybe the 7 is a leftover from a former "Oct. 17".
 
Stephenk53 said:
Which letter is silent in the word scent the s or the c
I don't know which, but I know how to find out!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
fresh_42 said:
I don't know which, but I know how to find out!
I'm curious - how do you find out?

If postage rates were lower I could say I sent a scent for a cent. I don't know if that helps.
 
Ibix said:
I'm curious - how do you find out?

If postage rates were lower I could say I sent a scent for a cent. I don't know if that helps.
It helps a lot: tape all three, overlap them electronically, one positive the other one negative, and then look what's left. However, I have a suspicion, that it will only display another flaw in the English language :wink:
 
Haribo sugarless gummies anyone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/R2M3RSLRNQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

upload_2018-11-13_16-54-57.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-11-13_16-54-57.png
    upload_2018-11-13_16-54-57.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 472
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Continued:
upload_2018-11-13_16-59-41.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-11-13_16-59-41.png
    upload_2018-11-13_16-59-41.png
    58 KB · Views: 425
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
..And I thought a Monte Carlo simulation was just a place pretending to be Monte Carlo...
 
Danke. I get that. I am trying to see how/why the Ortho projection on to eigenfacess becomes itselfc face
 
For @collinsmark here is my dog Chopin knowing that something terrible is about to happen, I was going to clip a few of his claws. That is my bony hand on him.

Chopin preparing for nail cut.jpg
 
Attachments
  • Chopin preparing for nail cut.jpg
    Chopin preparing for nail cut.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 654
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
He survived the clipping
Chopin survived nail cut.jpg
 
Attachments
  • Chopin survived nail cut.jpg
    Chopin survived nail cut.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 672
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Borg and Bystander
"Advertise Here".
I don't think here needs advertising. Where else are you going to be if not here?
 
A propos advertisement. My mother used to get rid of unpleasant advertisers by the phrase: "I'll first have to ask my husband, who is currently not here." I think I'll test this.
 
WWGD said:
No, he is just in a different here.
I don't think it will work, if I answer: "... he is currently out of this universe's phase." How are the odds such an advertisers will be a nerd?
 
Attachments
  • 250?cb=20130106032958.jpg
    250?cb=20130106032958.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 400
  • chopin-preparing-for-nail-cut-jpg.jpg
    chopin-preparing-for-nail-cut-jpg.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 382
  • love0010.gif
    love0010.gif
    378 bytes · Views: 412
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Evo
Attachments
  • chopin-survived-nail-cut-jpg.jpg
    chopin-survived-nail-cut-jpg.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 359
  • Exorcist_Tongue_08.jpg
    Exorcist_Tongue_08.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 412
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Here in the UK its hard to get a mortgage on a leasehold property if the remaining lease has less than 70 years to run.

In 70 years some costal towns could be under water due to rising sea levels. In effect freehold properties in these towns are really leasehold, with Poseidon holding the lease.

So any day now banks might wake up to this inconsistency in their lending policies and stop lending on at risk properties.
 
CWatters said:
Here in the UK its hard to get a mortgage on a leasehold property if the remaining lease has less than 70 years to run.

In 70 years some costal towns could be under water due to rising sea levels. In effect freehold properties in these towns are really leasehold, with Poseidon holding the lease.

So any day now banks might wake up to this inconsistency in their lending policies and stop lending on at risk properties.
You mean it's time to get some futures?
 
fresh_42 said:
You mean it's time to get some futures?
Yes, the ones with the pictures of the polar bears surfing on top of melting glaciers.