What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
Anti-vegetarian. Very anti.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Guess she prefers Lizzy.WWGD said:Your dad's sister is called vegetarian?
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
For what it is worth...
WWGD said:I approached the hare Krishna, only one that did. Just asked them where I can get a good full hair cut.
For years I thought people were saying Hairy Krishnas. But most shave their heads!? Time to sleep...WWGD said:Krishnas? Did I sleep through something major again?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Do you allow me to copy this and make a science joke out of it? I have an idea for an illustration.nuuskur said:Courtesy of axiomatic set theory:
If it swims and quacks like a duck then it is a set.
Science Advisor
- 929
- 1,226
Go ahead! I doubt it's an original idea, I mean that's what set theory says: if it exists, then it's a set.fresh_42 said:Do you allow me to copy this and make a science joke out of it? I have an idea for an illustration.
I found the English version of the idea I was using. We have a similar saying.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,741
That might fit on a nerdy T-shirt. (I pretty much exclusively wear nerdy T-shirts these days.) Hmm.nuuskur said:Courtesy of axiomatic set theory:
If it swims and quacks like a duck then it is a set.
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
That feel...
When you make a thread about something not serious in 'off topic' and it gets moved to a serious subforum, only to be ridiculed and locked, when it was made in jest for the lols (hence being posted in off topic).
When you make a thread about something not serious in 'off topic' and it gets moved to a serious subforum, only to be ridiculed and locked, when it was made in jest for the lols (hence being posted in off topic).
newbiegirl
- 4
- 7
I wonder what would make someone park in the opposite direction of traffic, granted it was a residential street but the car would still be on the same side as their house if parked properly 
- 20,819
- 28,467
Rat poison is too easily detectable.WWGD said:Bought some roller blades, rat poison and a chicken sandwich. Interesting combinations you can find in large chain stores.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Heh, don't worry too much. If the rat poison is warfarin-based it's "only" going to make your blood less likely to clot. So if you're not a footballer, nor an MMA thug, etc, you might not even notice it.WWGD said:Yes, no wonder cashier only handed me two things. I suspect they merged [the rat poison] with the chicka...(argh).

Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
I doubt 'afraid' is the operative term. Reluctant?Bystander said:This "instant" there are six members listed as present but the forum stats show eleven as "on board;" there are that many members afraid to show their faces?
Or they set a profile/privacy switch without deep thought.
Or2 visitors are included?
{the tiny icon is counting 1,2,3...}
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 5,629
- 1,778
"Prolly," nine of eighteen, at one point last night; my eyes get confused counting more than three rows of listed identities, so I'll never know if its mods hiding/lurking in ambush, therefore an ~ constant, or a fixed proportion of the PF population.Klystron said:profile/privacy switch
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
Oh god... I've changed jobs and tomorrow is my last day. I think some have planned a leaving do thing near the end of my shift.
Do not want. I know there's a card. Not sure if cake.
Do not want. I know there's a card. Not sure if cake.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Consider it a preview of your funeral service; unwilling guest of honor and all.skyshrimp said:Oh god... I've changed jobs and tomorrow is my last day. I think some have planned a leaving do thing near the end of my shift.
Do not want. I know there's a card. Not sure if cake.
- 13,926
- 16,805
How strongly do you feel that? Most bosses where I am would listen if I said I really didn't want a leaving do. Depends on culture where you work, of course.skyshrimp said:Do not want. I know there's a card. Not sure if cake.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
The other day I was following along with the course of a PF HW problem, when I decided to try something new, as distances involved varied by 5 orders of magnitude, from shortest to longest, and doodling a map where you could see all the lengths and lines and angles and distances seemed out of the question.
Drawing maps logarithmically, does not seem to work.
The thread had to do with eclipses, and I was trying to work out some angle for the edge of the penumbra to touch the earth.
Logarithmically, the moon is about half way to the sun from the earth.
But, measured from the sun...
Let's just say, that I'll not be trying this maths trick again.
ps. It did give me a giggle, when I ran across one possible explanation of how one of Frank Zappa's kids got their name:
Drawing maps logarithmically, does not seem to work.
The thread had to do with eclipses, and I was trying to work out some angle for the edge of the penumbra to touch the earth.
Logarithmically, the moon is about half way to the sun from the earth.
But, measured from the sun...
Let's just say, that I'll not be trying this maths trick again.
ps. It did give me a giggle, when I ran across one possible explanation of how one of Frank Zappa's kids got their name:
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
That maths problem did prompt me to finally work out whether or not god used logarithmic time.
As far as I can tell, she did.
As far as I can tell, she did.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,709
@OmCheeto, I like your "Ohm tries to interpret what "god" says happened" in your table.
In my opinion, this is a basic limitation of any ancient text's interpretation of modern concepts.
The guys back then, upon receiving God's explanation of the universe, did not have the conceptual framework in which they could have understood it (no chemistry, no physics (other than common knowledge, no biology).
Any knowledge they received could not have been understood.
Or if it was not properly communicated.
No comment on today's knowledge levels.
In my opinion, this is a basic limitation of any ancient text's interpretation of modern concepts.
The guys back then, upon receiving God's explanation of the universe, did not have the conceptual framework in which they could have understood it (no chemistry, no physics (other than common knowledge, no biology).
Any knowledge they received could not have been understood.
Or if it was not properly communicated.
No comment on today's knowledge levels.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
I was just amazed that given only 2 time points*, that each 'god' day seemed to correspond so well to some actual Earth era/event.
-----
*
big bang, day 1, 13.8 billion years
mankind shows up, day 6, 2 million years
ps. I like to think that there might have been something to that old Star Trek episode: Distant Origin
Those Hadrosaurs came back 3000 years ago, told us what happened, and we've been arguing about it ever since.
-----
*
big bang, day 1, 13.8 billion years
mankind shows up, day 6, 2 million years
ps. I like to think that there might have been something to that old Star Trek episode: Distant Origin
Those Hadrosaurs came back 3000 years ago, told us what happened, and we've been arguing about it ever since.
newbiegirl
- 4
- 7
good luckskyshrimp said:Oh god... I've changed jobs and tomorrow is my last day. I think some have planned a leaving do thing near the end of my shift.
Do not want. I know there's a card. Not sure if cake.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2