What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
WWGD said:
Weird how one here in PF may report one's own post.
I reported my own post once. I was aware I was riding the edge of civility with a (to my mind) particularly clueless and lazy poster. So I posted something that I felt was just the right side of the line and reported it, acknowledging that my judgement might be slightly skewed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
I reported my own post once. I was aware I was riding the edge of civility with a (to my mind) particularly clueless and lazy poster. So I posted something that I felt was just the right side of the line and reported it, acknowledging that my judgement might be slightly skewed.
Ah, I've been there myself a few times. Now I know, independently of What Gauss Would Do ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
I saw a quite funny interview with Gal Gadot, who played Wonder Woman. She said in the interview (clip here) that she was talking quantum physics with a physics professor :biggrin: when she got the news that she had got the role, and he didn't understand why she got so excited because she couldn't tell anybody about the news. Personally I didn't enjoy Wonder Woman very much as a movie, but I like Gadot's personality.
 
DennisN said:
I saw a quite funny interview with Gal Gadot, who played Wonder Woman. She said in the interview (clip here) that she was talking quantum physics with a physics professor :biggrin: when she got the news that she had got the role, and he didn't understand why she got so excited because she couldn't tell anybody about the news. Personally I didn't enjoy Wonder Woman very much as a movie, but I like Gadot's personality.
Maybe the prof. will think she has the hots for him. Her brother is Guy Gadot, I think an actor too. EDIT: I mean, I assume; if she's the Gal, her brother is the Guy.
 
Last edited:
Happy Palindrome Week.
:partytime:

9-10-19 (91019)
9-11-19 (91119)
9-12-19 (91219)
9-13-19 (91319)
9-14-19 (91419)
9-15-19 (91519)
9-16-19 (91619)
9-17-19 (91719)
9-18-19 (91819)
9-19-19 (91919)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, Klystron, collinsmark and 2 others
Question of the day: can every Markov chain be converted into a time-homogeneous Markov chain?
 
Today, I calculated, via very bad maths, and or statistics, that I will die on Monday, February 19, 2029.

Not sure of the hour, nor the venue.
 
Ibix said:
I hope that is simply your estimate given your current age, and not some particular piece of bad news.
Mostly bad statistics, is my guess.
I didn't see that guy, the other day, because of both the weather[1], and statistics[2].

1. Flooding and tornadoes
2. He'd sold out much hugely bigger venues
 
OmCheeto said:
Mostly bad statistics, is my guess.
I think the appropriate question is "what is the average age at death of men in your country, excluding those who died younger than you are now". I'd expect some pretty broad confidence limits.

Isn't there a Heinlein short story about someone who works out an accurate method of predicting date of death? I think he gets murdered by a rampaging mob of life insurance salesmen.
OmCheeto said:
I didn't see that guy, the other day, because of both the weather[1], and statistics[2].
I saw he was coming to the UK. I must admit I didn't even try for tickets for reason (2).
 
Someone a while back wished me a long and painful death . Still, I told them, isn't that what life is,a long and painful death?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: strangerep
WWGD said:
Someone a while back wished me a long and painful death . Still, I told them, isn't that what life is,a long and painful death?
Life is a disease with a 100% mortality rate, for sure.
 
Ibix said:
Life is a disease with a 100% mortality rate, for sure.
Leading cause of death. Let's do away with it...to cut down the death rate ??!
 
OmCheeto said:
Today, I calculated, via very bad maths, and or statistics, that I will die on Monday, February 19, 2029.

Not sure of the hour, nor the venue.
When was the next approximation of Apophis?
 
Ibix said:
I think the appropriate question is "what is the average age at death of men in your country, excluding those who died younger than you are now". I'd expect some pretty broad confidence limits.
It was mostly for fun, so very little effort went into making it realistic.
I quit smoking this last May, and the effects have not been wearing off fast enough, so I periodically google; "When is this going to end?", and I run across all manner of 'new to me' statistics.
The first graph I curve fit, gave me my death date.
The second graph I curve fit, told me that humans have a life expectancy of 240 years.


2019.09.12.bad.graphs.png

[ref to the legitimate part of the graph]​

I found that quite amazing.

ps. I may have omitted a couple of important data points.

Isn't there a Heinlein short story about someone who works out an accurate method of predicting date of death? I think he gets murdered by a rampaging mob of life insurance salesmen.
Although a fan of Heinlein, I do not recall that story.

I saw he was coming to the UK. I must admit I didn't even try for tickets for reason (2).
Over the last week, I've watched 3 videos featuring Randall Munroe, as I didn't know what he looked nor sounded like. He doesn't strike me as a very entertaining speaker. But I've decided that I can't go near his website, as I will push the "random" button, for hours.
 
Undergrads have very 'powerful' proof techniques.
  1. Assume [itex]A[/itex], therefore [itex]A[/itex]
  2. If you (the instructor) can't give a counter example to my (the student) claim, then my claim is true.
I don't recall teaching any of that .. :confused:
 
OmCheeto said:
ps. I may have omitted a couple of important data points.

Although a fan of Heinlein, I do not recall that story.
If memory serves, the short story is usually titled "Life-Line" and the scientist named Pinero. RAH published Lifeline in an SF pulp magazine and then in anthology "Future History".

The anthology usually contains short story "Misfit" about math marvel spaceman Libby and the novelette "Methuselah's Children" where Heinlein introduces immortal Lazarus Long and the long-lived Howard Families featured in subsequent novels.

While stealing a starship to flee Earth to save the Howard Families, Lazarus tells Libby that Pinero was not a charlatan. Under his nom-de-space Captain Shefield, Lazarus visited Pinero who computes Lazarus's lifeline but refuses to divulge how long Long is fated to live. Given your chart, you may be a hidden Howard.:cool:
 
Last edited:
Refreshing my Python , writing a list of primes in a range. It runs...but prints out each number a weird number of times. AAGHHH. Maybe it is because of switching between versions 2,3, and between IDEs.
 
OmCheeto said:
Today, I calculated, via very bad maths, and or statistics, that I will die on Monday, February 19, 2029.

Not sure of the hour, nor the venue.

Are you a stand-up comic? Maybe it will be The Apollo?
 
WWGD said:
Refreshing my Python , writing a list of primes in a range. It runs...but prints out each number a weird number of times. AAGHHH. Maybe it is because of switching between versions 2,3, and between IDEs.
Why do you want to refresh your python? It doesn't even have arms, not to mention armpits.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Why do you want to refresh your python? It doesn't even have arms, not to mention armpits.
Nein Python program. Python Fresh Air-keit.
 
WWGD said:
Python Fresh Air
Oh, you allow it to go outside on its own. Didn't know they find home again.
 
They go home to (Fresh* -Bel) Air

*Not necessarily _42