What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
fresh_42 said:
Romani ite domum!
What have Monty Python ever done for us?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Qued Era Demonstrandum ( Too lazy to look it up. Something about Romans, I guess.)
"Romans go home" - the correct version. Brian originally writes "Romanes eunt domus" which John Cleese translates as "People called Romans, they go, the 'ouse" before giving a lesson in Latin grammar at swordpoint.
 
DrGreg said:
What have Monty Python ever done for us?
...well, there's the Dead Parrot sketch.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Ibix said:
"Romans go home" - the correct version. Brian originally writes "Romanes eunt domus" which John Cleese translates as "People called Romans, they go, the 'ouse" before giving a lesson in Latin grammar at swordpoint.
Domum arigato .
 
fresh_42 said:
And not to forget the Ministry of Silly Walks.
But apart from the Dead Parrot, the Ministry of Silly Walks, Fish Slapping, the Black Knight, the Spanish Inquisition, Monsieur Creosote, and the Killing Joke, what have bloody Monty Python ever done for us?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and DrGreg
Ibix said:
But apart from the Dead Parrot, the Ministry of Silly Walks, Fish Slapping, the Black Knight, the Spanish Inquisition, Monsieur Creosote, and the Killing Joke, what have bloody Monty Python ever done for us?
The unladen swallow, Loretta.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Want absurdity?
Just saw online images of protestors in front of a Starbucks:
We
Want
Just
Ice

And they're rioting just because they want ice? I like my drink cold, but I am not that hard core about it.
 
Ibix said:
But apart from the Dead Parrot, the Ministry of Silly Walks, Fish Slapping, the Black Knight, the Spanish Inquisition, Monsieur Creosote, and the Killing Joke, what have bloody Monty Python ever done for us?
They made a three-sided album, The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief.

When you played the second side of the vinyl disc, you would randomly hear one of two completely different sets of sketches. This would have come as a complete surprise to most listeners, as there was nothing on the label or sleeve to indicate what would happen. To add to the confusion, both sides of the disc were labelled "Side 1".
Two concentric spiral grooves, interleaved between each other, instead of the usual one.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi, Ibix, collinsmark and 1 other person
main-qimg-3fc7864654dabcb23039a1291e8ef1e6.jpeg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi and gmax137
Ibix said:
But apart from the Dead Parrot, the Ministry of Silly Walks, Fish Slapping, the Black Knight, the Spanish Inquisition, Monsieur Creosote, and the Killing Joke, what have bloody Monty Python ever done for us?
The Galaxy Song:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Ibix
DrGreg said:
They made a three-sided album, The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief.

When you played the second side of the vinyl disc, you would randomly hear one of two completely different sets of sketches. This would have come as a complete surprise to most listeners, as there was nothing on the label or sleeve to indicate what would happen. To add to the confusion, both sides of the disc were labelled "Side 1".
Two concentric spiral grooves, interleaved between each other, instead of the usual one.

Yep.
Skip to ~4:38 to see the Monty Python specific part.
 
How about this. I have a view of part of a bay where the low and high tides are obvious. So I say to my Thai girlfriend (in her bamboo English) Water up today. She: Have rain last night.
 
It was an observation about the conservation of a conversation in the population.

Why don't we hear phrases like these more often?
 
WWGD said:
I want to have chicken pizza at Chichen Itza
My cousin went to Chile so she could do a Shirshasana on the Altacama. She sent a photo with her Xmas letter.
(When I went to Chichen Itza the bus stopped at a restaurant that served a dish they claimed was iguana, but it tasted like chicken.)
 
Keith_McClary said:
My cousin went to Chile so she could do a Shirshasana on the Altacama. She sent a photo with her Xmas letter.
(When I went to Chichen Itza the bus stopped at a restaurant that served a dish they claimed was iguana, but it tasted like chicken.)
How about having shake and bake in Sharm-El-Sheik?
 
Phone was awol, barely able to do anything until I found out I had almost run out of storage. Kind of guessed that was causing the problem. Over-sensitive camera triggered for no reason taking up a few 100mb. Good to have footage of my shoes, mop and other random stuff ;). Maybe @Wrichik Basu is interested or has some input.
 
Keith_McClary said:
My cousin went to Chile so she could do a Shirshasana on the Altacama. She sent a photo with her Xmas letter.
(When I went to Chichen Itza the bus stopped at a restaurant that served a dish they claimed was iguana, but it tasted like chicken.)
Do want to Iguana sandwich in the Susquehanna( pref. cooked;))?
 
WWGD said:
Phone was awol, barely able to do anything until I found out I had almost run out of storage. Kind of guessed that was causing the problem. Over-sensitive camera triggered for no reason taking up a few 100mb. Good to have footage of my shoes, mop and other random stuff ;). Maybe @Wrichik Basu is interested or has some input.
Without more details about the camera app (hope your phone is Android), it would be difficult to understand why the camera is triggered automatically. In fact, it is a violation of privacy if the camera starts without your knowledge. You can start a new thread in the Technology section and provide the details there, if you are interested.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Does anyone know that feeling if after eight pages of calculation all depends on the contradiction 1=-1? Normally nothing to worry about, but the entire eight pages were about commutators.
 
fresh_42 said:
Does anyone know that feeling if after eight pages of calculation all depends on the contradiction 1=-1? Normally nothing to worry about, but the entire eight pages were about commutators.
I have had a " cousin situation" , where I think I struck oil in a formula and I am onto something big and then when I clear things I end up with something like ' a+b=a+b'. Duh!
 
WWGD said:
I have had a " cousin situation" , where I think I struck oil in a formula and I am onto something big and then when I clear things I end up with something like ' a+b=a+b'. Duh!
I know what you mean. I had several of that moments during the eight pages. It is a bit frustrating if you have to delete 2 pages of calculations only because you saw, that it could be done with a simple argument.
 
It was a non existence proof, so 1=-1 was a positive result. However, I don't trust myself that I didn't make a sign error somewhere.
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
fresh_42 said:
It was a non existence proof, so 1=-1 was a positive result. However, I don't trust myself that I didn't make a sign error somewhere.
Maybe you were working in ##\mathbb Z_2## ? ;).