What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Dalits are the untouchable class in India. They are discriminated against at all levels of society.
I understand, and I don't condone it, but I don't think I was making light of that fact nor mocking them. Still, if it is better for PF, maybe better to delete it. Should I( Staff can then delete the followup posts)?
 
I wasn’t suggesting that I just wanted to point it out that sometimes jokes sound funnier to people when they have a bad hidden meaning.

I remember as a kid the polish jokes that were often made which conveniently forgot about the Polish efforts to break Enigma during WW2 that gave the British the foundation they needed to carry on the task.
 
jedishrfu said:
I wasn’t suggesting that I just wanted to point it out that sometimes jokes sound funnier to people when they have a bad hidden meaning.

I remember as a kid the polish jokes that were often made which conveniently forgot about the Polish efforts to break Enigma during WW2 that gave the British the foundation they needed to carry on the task.
Agreed. I have trouble in particular with "Dumb Polish" jokes, not just for the obvious reasons but because Poles have a long and distinguished record of academic accomplishment.
 
My friend and I once did a Relativistic polish parody for our modern physics class. It was the barn pole paradox where he was the pole since he was Polish. I can’t remember the details but everyone laughed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
jedishrfu said:
My friend and I once did a Relativistic polish parody for our modern physics class. It was the barn pole paradox where he was the pole since he was Polish. I can’t remember the details but everyone laughed.
I only avoid Poles when doing Contour Integrals ( Math Joke).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu
Strange new world.

I read in the online version of an English newspaper and the ads at the bottom of the page were all in German.
 
jedishrfu said:
Likely because the browser knew where you were located hence the German ads.
Sure, but the browser doesn't pay the ads. I wondered about the complexity of the contracts. I am already used to the fact that some companies would like to solve my tax problems as an American living in Europe.
 
You want strange? A while back I went to this place for the 1st time, paid with credit and I was sent a receipt to my email account, when I had never told them my email.
 
fresh_42 said:
Strange new world.

I read in the online version of an English newspaper and the ads at the bottom of the page were all in German.
The ads on many websites are often supplied by some third party such as Google who decide what ads to show you based on all the information they have collected about you. Google (or whoever) pays the website owner for the rights to show ads on the websites.

As I understand, even Physics Forums uses this system for logged-out users.
 
That was hilarious. I always love the dead-pan humor of answering literally and some folks don't get it.

On the Mentalist TV show, there was an exchange like that where a suspect threatens Cho, the investagting officer during an interview by saying "I can make one phone, you career is toast" and Cho's response was "Thats impressive, the best I can get with one call is a pizza."

 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
How ironic and self-referential:

When I do a search for a solution to :
PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR,
I get the message:

PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
Maybe I should eat a Snickers bar : " Not going anywhere for a while.."

I imagine some network outgoing permissions may have randomly changed though never got the same message before. I want to talk to the (Network) Manager!
 
WWGD said:
How ironic and self-referential:

When I do a search for a solution to :
PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR,
I get the message:

PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
Maybe I should eat a Snickers bar : " Not going anywhere for a while.."

I imagine some network outgoing permissions may have randomly changed though never got the same message before. I want to talk to the (Network) Manager!
Is the solution on page 404?
 
DrGreg said:
Is the solution on page 404?
Moved to infiniteloop.com

For more fun, the Windows search box is not allowing text input and suggested solutions ( some
sites don't produce the above error ) are not working.
 
WWGD said:
Wow, I hope you don't consider me a Karen or even the male version of a Karen, whatever that may be. And a Douchebaggette can be read in more than one way, both pretty repugnant.
No, I thought of you as the cool guy responding.

And the male version tends to become a Ken.
 
They didn't like it at the travel site when I asked for explanations for a review including the statement " The maid was amazing" . May want to change the phrasing.
 
WWGD said:
Karen

30423026-8492335-image-m-2_1593985336961.jpg

boingboing
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and WWGD
jedishrfu said:
Ken is more associated with Barbie. Perhaps Barney is better.
It's not our choice. I've seen Ken on social media.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu
Yeah, I just saw that with the American Girl photo above so it makes perfect sense.

I picked Barney because of the Mayberry RFD character of the bumbling deputy who was always trying to impose the letter of the law no matter how minor the infraction.
 
jedishrfu said:
Yeah, I just saw that with the American Girl photo above so it makes perfect sense.

I picked Barney because of the Mayberry RFD character of the bumbling deputy who was always trying to impose the letter of the law no matter how minor the infraction.
It is Kevin and double names which have a bad reputation here, but more in the direction of being silly, rather than "patridiots".
 
Somehow all are names starting with K: Karen, Kevin. Ken.
 
fresh_42 said:
42 on 007, 42 on 007 we have a 10-56 in aisle R
10/4. Roger/Kevin.