What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Wonder if there are versions of Karen in other languages or maybe in UK, other English-speaking countries.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Wonder if there are versions of Karen in other languages or maybe in UK, other English-speaking countries.
I doubt that. The phenomenon is purely American and to be honest, not existing in other countries. We others prefer to treat those people and not letting them run wild, let alone carry guns. There are some fetishes which you can find only in America: anti-socialism (where socialism already starts by offering someone a free drink), liberty (which you only have if you are rich), flag and hymn (cover instead of content), guns, no healthcare. None of them can be found anywhere else in a western country.

B5rabGsh8rMtqbiH2hjCgqo7JMo&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
fresh_42 said:
I doubt that. The phenomenon is purely American and to be honest, not existing in other countries. We others prefer to treat those people and not letting them run wild, let alone carry guns. There are some fetishes which you can find only in America: anti-socialism (where socialism already starts by offering someone a free drink), liberty (which you only have if you are rich), flag and hymn (cover instead of content), guns, no healthcare. None of them can be found anywhere else in a western country.

View attachment 266027
And clearly, questionable statements from the far left.
 
WWGD said:
And clearly, questionable statements from the far left.
Well, that is my impression. And what is far left in the states is center left here. But that was exactly what I meant. The American fear from the s-word is stronger than anywhere else. So strong that it starts at points which others consider normal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
fresh_42 said:
Well, that is my impression. And what is far left in the states is center left here. But that was exactly what I meant. The American fear from the s-word is stronger than anywhere else. So strong that it starts at points which others consider normal.
I can't imagine what the statues in Germany are going through.
 
jedishrfu said:
VOX take on the Karen phenomena
I.M. Nick was president of the American Name Society? o_O
 
Keith_McClary said:
I.M. Nick was president of the American Name Society? o_O
You know her?
 
WWGD said:
You know her?
Only by her nickname.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
I just saw a short interview with Liam Neeson.
I didn't know he was into physics, he even did an explanation of an experiment, I guess he likes physics: :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
DennisN said:
I just saw a short interview with Liam Neeson.
I didn't know he was into physics, he even did an explanation of an experiment, I guess he likes physics: :smile:

Physics of fighting hijackers in a plane?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
I wonder what the minimal algebraic conditions are in an algebrsic structure A for a polynomial in A[x] to have at least one solution. Algebraic closure is overkill, but finite stru tures like, e.g. Zn don't have the property.
 
If any polynomial has at least one solution then you get algebraic closure, since you can always divide off that zero and proceed with the rest. Otherwise ##A## shouldn't be Euclidean, esp. no PID. If you allow non integral domains for ##A## things get weird I guess.
 
fresh_42 said:
If any polynomial has at least one solution then you get algebraic closure, since you can always divide off that zero and proceed with the rest. Otherwise ##A## shouldn't be Euclidean, esp. no PID. If you allow non integral domains for ##A## things get weird I guess.
What do you do with , e.g., ##(x+1)(x^2+1)## over the Reals?
 
WWGD said:
What do you do with , e.g., ##(x+1)(x^2+1)## over the Reals?
The point is, that you didn't pose any restrictions on the polynomials. So as long as you require that any polynomial splits, you get the entire package. The definitions in question are "normal and separable field extensions", but you didn't require a field. As I write this, I wonder what e.g. ##\mathfrak{su}(n)[x]## would look like.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
I understand, thanks, that I can always extend by an element of choice. But, short of knowing the structure in question is already an extension, is there a ready-made structure where this is guaranteed? Maybe not, don't see a reason for this to be the case.
 
WWGD said:
... is there a ready-made structure where this is guaranteed?
Not sure what you mean by "this". There are universal objects or you can "tensor up" the scalars, e.g. from real to complex ##-\otimes_\mathbb{R} \mathbb{C}##. Then there are (half) group algebras etc. An indeterminate attached to a structure is normally just a simple transcendental extension. Looking for zeros is asking for ideals.

But Galois theory is only one branch where those questions lead to. Others are algebraic geometry, complex analysis, K-theory, quadratic forms, elliptic curves or whatever. We need polynomials and their zeros even in linear algebra. Those damn things are everywhere.
 
Kind of weird response:
" Let's open up a restaurant".
" All restaurants around here are already open!".
 
They pay "journalists" to take a small table of numbers and expand it into thousands of words like this:
...
Newfoundland reported no new cases of COVID-19 on Monday marking three full days without a new infection.

The province has tested 20,583 people for the virus so far, and 258 have recovered from infections.

According to health authorities, a total of three people have died as a result of COVID-19.

Neither the Northwest Territories or Nunavut reported new cases of COVID-19 on Monday.

So far, the Northwest Territories has not seen any COVID-19-related deaths, and has tested 2,859 people for the virus.

A total of five people have recovered from infections in the territory.
...
https://globalnews.ca/news/7171991/canada-coronavirus-infections-world-13-million/

And then they wonder why the traditional media are dying.
 
I know an academic (in biology) who is unable to makes heads or tails out of a 2 x 3 excel table (?$%#@&?).
Putting it in words can be helpful to some people.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Mi friend designed an app that uses a database and thinks he can avoid injection through login and permission restrictions only, without parametrizing queries. Doubt it will work out.
 
fresh_42 said:
I wonder what e.g. ##\mathfrak{su}(n)[x]## would look like.
Very bright. Use a filter.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi and WWGD
My sharpness in dealing with technical questions:
"Should we use discord ?"
" No, I prefer dat cord".
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi and Ibix
WWGD said:
Mi friend designed an app that uses a database and thinks he can avoid injection through login and permission restrictions only, without parametrizing queries. Doubt it will work out.
Looks like a job for little Bobby Tables.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi, Keith_McClary and WWGD
WWGD said:
My sharpness in dealing with technical questions:
"Should we use discord ?"
" No, I prefer dat cord".
Sharpies is a forbidden word.
 
Ibix said:
Very bright. Use a filter.
And SPF 5 or higher.
 
fresh_42 said:
Sharpies is a forbidden word.
Where? How about if I mention the Sharpies of Jehova? ( Stones already coming my way. I am outta here).
 
WWGD said:
How about if I mention the Sharpies of Jehova?
You are sentenced to have a false beard drawn on your face in permanent ink.

Nobody is to draw a beard on anybody, even if they do say Sharpies!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
fresh_42 said:
Romani ite domum!
Qued Era Demonstrandum ( Too lazy to look it up( I am on my phone). Something about Romans, I guess.)