What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Somehow found the meaning of the word "Tatterdemalion" while listening to my You Tube feed which brought up the song "Ogre Battle " by Queen. I can't see it coming up in any daily conversation other than the likes of " You know a weird word I learned on the Internet?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Time soon for the yearly number-0 haircut. Sheep -like I guess.

Interesting reply, dude: Do you have Tourette's? #$%@ no!
 
Maybe Michael Caine could name one of his children Marco . Or Morco.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: diogenesNY
Borg said:
I didn't think about it being illegal since I wouldn't be watching
On some cars it is disabled when the car is moving.
 
Keith_McClary said:
On some cars it is disabled when the car is moving.
Don't some cars include screens on the back seats?
 
I once (last year) looked up some maps on an official government website about Californian wildfires, simply to see which specific areas have been concerned. It took PG&E about two hours to contact me. I get emails from them ever since, but now they corrected my name (derived from an email address) from a bad Spanish male to an American / European female version. Do you think they might send me their source code? Is that already AI?

Maybe I should answer and ask them how they plan to deliver electricity and gas if I changed my supplier to PG&E?!
 
Seems in Spring/Summer, socks are like tree rings, allow you to tell someone's age by how high up they go in a person's knees.
 
fresh_42 said:
I once (last year) looked up some maps on an official government website about Californian wildfires, simply to see which specific areas have been concerned. It took PG&E about two hours to contact me. I get emails from them ever since, but now they corrected my name (derived from an email address) from a bad Spanish male to an American / European female version. Do you think they might send me their source code? Is that already AI?

Maybe I should answer and ask them how they plan to deliver electricity and gas if I changed my supplier to PG&E?!
Are they still regularly providing service with the fires raging on?
 
WWGD said:
Are they still regularly providing service with the fires raging on?
Perhaps that is the idea. There are no fires here, yet.
 
fresh_42 said:
I once (last year) looked up some maps on an official government website about Californian wildfires, simply to see which specific areas have been concerned. It took PG&E about two hours to contact me. I get emails from them ever since, but now they corrected my name (derived from an email address) from a bad Spanish male to an American / European female version. Do you think they might send me their source code? Is that already AI?

Maybe I should answer and ask them how they plan to deliver electricity and gas if I changed my supplier to PG&E?!
Why did they contact you? Did they assume you were a customer in need?
 
Good description of the department head: Looks like a lumberjack. But a lumberjack at the end of the day.
 
WWGD said:
Why did they contact you? Did they assume you were a customer in need?
I surfed on a Californian (or federal, I don't remember) website and zoomed in on a map of a few locations. I wanted to know how close @berkeman was. I guess they simply assume that I am a Californian. It was a MS .com email address. But what happened that they changed my name from male to female?
 
fresh_42 said:
I surfed on a Californian (or federal, I don't remember) website and zoomed in on a map of a few locations. I wanted to know how close @berkeman was. I guess they simply assume that I am a Californian. It was a MS .com email address. But what happened that they changed my name from male to female?
AI/ML fail?
 
WWGD said:
AI/ML fail?
Could be. The actual address was born out of an urgent need, you know, from a website where they want to send you a password. I use it since then for quick and dirty accesses, and to channel spam. The name I used - only a prename - doesn't really exist. It sounds Italian, but is written wrong, or Spanish, but only to those who do not know better. So it doesn't fit in any category, although it is clearly a name. The AI changed it into a valid female version, but not into a valid Spanish or Italian version, only in an American / European one.

That's why I am curious to see their source code.
 
fresh_42 said:
Could be. The actual address was born out of an urgent need, you know, from a website where they want to send you a password. I use it since then for quick and dirty accesses, and to channel spam. The name I used - only a prename - doesn't really exist. It sounds Italian, but is written wrong, or Spanish, but only to those who do not know better. So it doesn't fit in any category, although it is clearly a name. The AI changed it into a valid female version, but not into a valid Spanish or Italian version, only in an American / European one.

That's why I am curious to see their source code.
Cant you just R-click on their page to view the source?
 
WWGD said:
Cant you just R-click on their page to view the source?
That doesn't show me the decision, the location where the correction took place. What changed a wrong spelled male Italian name from the email address into a correct French / English / German female name in the letter? And why?
 
fresh_42 said:
That doesn't show me the decision, the location where the correction took place. What changed a wrong spelled male Italian name from the email address into a correct French / English / German female name in the letter? And why?
Of course, I meant do some forward/reverse engineering and testing. But maybe youre not that interested to put all that effort.
 
WWGD said:
Of course, I meant do some forward/reverse engineering and testing. But maybe youre not that interested to put all that effort.
The interesting part is the following. We are at the beginning of the AI era, and the example shows how easy current systems could be outwit. A small margin of inaccuracies (missing IP check during my visit on a Californian website, one false letter in a name, ignoring the fact that .com isn't exclusively American) led to completely wrong conclusions. I expect massive improvements in the years coming.

Or will improvements be too expensive? They probably send thousands of such emails and don't expect more than, say a dozen of them that do not end up in the bin.

Google is better at this from my experience.
 
fresh_42 said:
The interesting part is the following. We are at the beginning of the AI era, and the example shows how easy current systems could be outwit. A small margin of inaccuracies (missing IP check during my visit on a Californian website, one false letter in a name, ignoring the fact that .com isn't exclusively American) led to completely wrong conclusions. I expect massive improvements in the years coming.

Or will improvements be too expensive? They probably send thousands of such emails and don't expect more than, say a dozen of them that do not end up in the bin.

Google is better at this from my experience.
I guess then a lack of robustness? All I can tell is Microsoft's outlook does not seem to train its spam catcher even given the free input it gets ( when people move data from Inbox to Spam/trash or the other way around). I have seen the false positives, negatives repeated for years.
 
Most quickly recognized music plays: (#3: 4 notes, #2: 3 notes, #1: 1 note)

1623864317149.png


Anybody guess?
 
  • Skeptical
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27
Ibix said:
Beethoven's Fifth
Also Sprach Zarathustra
The Chain
The first is correct. The second is only a third of the total riff, but if played staccato it should be sufficient. Everybody knows it, Zarathustra rather less. The same goes for the third. I would have chosen c' flat instead, but couldn't find a note sheet that properly starts with that ... (hint) flute!
 
Ibix said:
Ravel's Bolero, maybe? Is that usually played on a flute? Don't remember.
I think Bolero wouldn't start on c' (flat). It is probably a western concert flute, but an Irish flute or even tin whistle (R.I.P. Micho) would do. You know it when you hear it. As it is only one note, it is a bit difficult to recognize unheard. The song has lyrics that start a bit later, but if you search the internet for the notes, the starting whistle is hard to find.

​

 
Ibix said:
Also Sprach Zarathustra
By the way, you ain't heard nuthin' until you've heard Also Sprach Zarathustra on massed kazoos.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
Ibix said:
By the way, you ain't heard nuthin' until you've heard Also Sprach Zarathustra on massed kazoos.

And you thought Zarathustra and kazoos would have been warning enough? Richard Strauss isn't easy to digest.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
I see same guy, now daily wearing his bike helmet. I ask: Ah, biking to work now? He answers: " No, why?".
?