What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
I think the saying, supposedly by Einstein, needs rethinking: " Insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results".
What if I roll a die or flip a coin twice?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
@dlgoff : I am sort on the same boat you are with Windows: SQL Server keeps prompting me to " upgrade"( update). I am comfortable with the present version and doing my best to avoid updating.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
WWGD said:
@dlgoff : I am sort on the same boat you are with Windows: SQL Server keeps prompting me to " upgrade"( update). I am comfortable with the present version and doing my best to avoid updating.
Give GWX Control Panel a try. That will probably stop that server from asking all the time. There are lots of options built into the program.

Check out my notification area:
notification.jpg


I'm never asked.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
I just realized that i am always confusing these names, and it makes me stressed:
Lagrange, Laguerre, Laplace, Legendre.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Rant of the Day:

Ebay delivery sucks. I average about 10 days for getting stuff (from date of purchase to delivered). Fastest, I think has been 6 days. The longer ones are fully 14 days (two weeks).

I only go with them, b/c they sell stuff you can't find on Amazon. Rare stuff. Although, I am opposed to Amazon's treatment of warehouse workers, so there's that too. Wish I could combine Amazon's speed with Ebay's hard-to-find stuff and have happy workers.
 
kyphysics said:
Rant of the Day:

Ebay delivery sucks. I average about 10 days for getting stuff (from date of purchase to delivered). Fastest, I think has been 6 days. The longer ones are fully 14 days (two weeks).

I only go with them, b/c they sell stuff you can't find on Amazon. Rare stuff. Although, I am opposed to Amazon's treatment of warehouse workers, so there's that too. Wish I could combine Amazon's speed with Ebay's hard-to-find stuff and have happy workers.
I gave up on them at first because of this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ebay-just-lost-a-buyer.998195/#post-6441492
But bit the bullet and went back because of "hard-to-find stuff".
 
My new book: " Peanuts,in a nutshell".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
I was loading music on a flash drive for my car to listen to during an upcoming trip. Just for the heck of it, I loaded a movie on it also. Surprisingly, it works great and displays perfectly on the center console. It will be for my wife's entertainment when I'm driving though (I've seen the movie many times and will be paying attention to the road). :smile:
 
Amazing tutorial on Tensor Flow. Finally,enough theory without being overwhelming and enough practice, going back and forth.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
My new book: " Peanuts,in a nutshell".

Peanuts, to me, have one of the weirdest methods of producing a seed that I have ever heard of.

Since they are harvested from the ground, you might wonder if they are some kind of root vegetable.
On the other hand, the peanut looks exactly like a seed, inside its husk, and new plants can be grown from them (but the same can happen from some roots (potatoes, carrot parts, etc.)).
However, seeds come from flowers. You need a flower. I have seen underwater flowers, but never heardof an underground one (self-fertilizing?).
They also don't have the normal anatomical connection to the plant, typical of a root vegetable. They don't grow out of the roots as some kind of enlargement, and connect to the rest of the plant that way. They grow for like little branches that grow from the air into the ground!
So what is going on here?

Ask de Google:
from here:
Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 3.48.25 PM.png


They flower above ground and then grow the developing seed into the ground. The developing seeds down, inside a thin tube that grows out and extends underground.
Seeds develop there (underground) as peanuts.

Wikipedia on peanuts here.

It would be interesting to know what their adaptive advantage might have been in adapting this way of doing things.
The picture shows a short plant, as grown on farms. They may, in nature, just vine along on the ground, inserting seeds into different areas (and environments) as it goes. Could be seen as a seed distribution mechanism (often selected for).
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and WWGD
BillTre said:
Peanuts, to me, have one of the weirdest methods of producing a seed that I have ever heard of.

Since they are harvested from the ground, you might wonder if they are some kind of root vegetable.
On the other hand, the peanut looks exactly like a seed, inside its husk, and new plants can be grown from them (but the same can happen from some roots (potatoes, carrot parts, etc.)).
However, seeds come from flowers. You need a flower. I have seen underwater flowers, but never heardof an underground one (self-fertilizing?).
They also don't have the normal anatomical connection to the plant, typical of a root vegetable. They don't grow out of the roots as some kind of enlargement, and connect to the rest of the plant that way. They grow for like little branches that grow from the air into the ground!
So what is going on here?

Ask de Google:
from here:
View attachment 284125

They flower above ground and then grow the developing seed into the ground. The developing seeds down, inside a thin tube that grows out and extends underground.
Seeds develop there (underground) as peanuts.

Wikipedia on peanuts here.

It would be interesting to know what their adaptive advantage might have been in adapting this way of doing things.
The picture shows a short plant, as grown on farms. They may, in nature, just vine along on the ground, inserting seeds into different areas (and environments) as it goes. Could be seen as a seed distribution mechanism (often selected for).
And they are considered Legumes instead of nuts, strangely enough. I am not too strong on my bio classification schemes, I think within the Linneus classification?
 
From the little I have read, it seems they were originally grouped with some nut tree plants, but that was only based on taste.
Further research has identified better traits for classifying.
 
BillTre said:
From the little I have read, it seems they were originally grouped with some nut tree plants, but that was only based on taste.
Further research has identified better traits for classifying.
Would these classification techniques be derived from Anova? I mean, two obects are within same class if there is a small variation in several traits (variation within classes) and in different class otherwise (Variation between classes)? EDIT: I am interested in general on the issue of whether some phenomenon is " a thing" that needs a separate classification. As an example, if some new animal were discovered: should we come up with a new class scheme for it or incorporate it under an existing class? What criteria is used? I mean , as I understand, animals in the same species can inter-reproduce, but is this the classification scheme?
 
Borg said:
my wife's entertainment when I'm driving though (I've seen the movie many times and will be paying attention to the road).
Though the wording may change in your state or province, law enforcement agencies are very clear on the rules about watching videos while driving. In most states and provinces, having a display within view of the driver that shows video while the vehicle is in motion is illegal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 2milehi
What if the wife/other passenger were to move to the back seat?
 
I didn't think about it being illegal since I wouldn't be watching but yeah, that wouldn't be a good excuse. I should probably stick to texting like all of the other drivers. :oldtongue:
 
WWGD said:
Would these classification techniques be derived from Anova? I mean, two obects are within same class if there is a small variation in several traits (variation within classes) and in different class otherwise (Variation between classes)?
Anova would be used for statistical assessment of differences in traits.
There are just lots of different traits that sound like they might not have been considered originally.

WWGD said:
Would these classification techniques be derived from Anova? I mean, two obects are within same class if there is a small variation in several traits (variation within classes) and in different class otherwise (Variation between classes)? EDIT: I am interested in general on the issue of whether some phenomenon is " a thing" that needs a separate classification. As an example, if some new animal were discovered: should we come up with a new class scheme for it or incorporate it under an existing class? What criteria is used? I mean , as I understand, animals in the same species can inter-reproduce, but is this the classification scheme?
I find this issue interesting also.
There have been and continue to be several definitions for species. Ability to interbreed is one, but there are others. They deal with different situations in slightly different ways.

I have been thinking about this recently with respect to how a competing population of competing animals is defined. This would define members of a population that compete for a shared set of resources.
The competition among these individuals would define them as remembers of a competing population.
This would be a natural grouping based on the interactions among the group's members.
It would be a dynamic collection. The population members could change depending on how its members interacted with each other and the resources they were competing for.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
BillTre said:
Anova would be used for statistical assessment of differences in traits.
There are just lots of different traits that sound like they might not have been considered originally. I find this issue interesting also.
There have been and continue to be several definitions for species. Ability to interbreed is one, but there are others. They deal with different situations in slightly different ways.

I have been thinking about this recently with respect to how a competing population of competing animals is defined. This would define members of a population that compete for a shared set of resources.
The competition among these individuals would define them as remembers of a competing population.
This would be a natural grouping based on the interactions among the group's members.
It would be a dynamic collection. The population members could change depending on how its members interacted with each other and the resources they were competing for.
Maybe clustering, nearest neighbors Or other machine learning techniques, etc. , could be considered.
Edit: I remember this book " The Goal", by E Goldblatt that described the logic for the design of the Periodic Table. It was not the main topic of the book , but it was interesting nonetheless.
 
LCSphysicist said:
I just realized that i am always confusing these names, and it makes me stressed:
Lagrange, Laguerre, Laplace, Legendre.
Unfortunately these things, noise, only/mostly go away with time. Next semester or two, they will separate. Somethingthathas helped me has been just doing 15 minutes of deep breathing daily. Not sure why but it has helped me feel more mentally clear.
 
Industries that emit greenhouse gases are adopting "Net Zero" policies, meaning they will still emit, but they will offset it by paying someone not to cut their trees. Or something.

The wind turbine industry has the problem of bird kill. They could have Net Zero bird kill if they offset it by offering free family planning services for cats.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and WWGD
WWGD said:
And they are considered Legumes instead of nuts, strangely enough.
Hence "goober peas," as in :

Lying in the shadow underneath the trees, Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!
Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Eating goober peas! Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: diogenesNY and WWGD
gmax137 said:
Hence "goober peas," as in :

Lying in the shadow underneath the trees, Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!
Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Eating goober peas! Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!
When they ask me at the salad bar: peas? I flash the peace sign ✌: peas/peace, ( please) brother!

Edit: Just like when a rep asked me: " Are you familiar with Greenpeace"? . Yes, I always put them on my salad.
 
Last edited:
I decided to try a little rock polishing and picked up this National Geographic Rock Tumbler:
rock tumbler.jpg

Here's my first run:
rocks-1.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, WWGD and Borg
dlgoff said:
Here's my first run:
After the first run? How long and what grit?
 
Keith_McClary said:
After the first run? How long and what grit?
First run meaning, using all three four grits for the recommended times. Many days.
 
WWGD said:
Rock festivals need clarification : Obsidians or AC/DC?
I miss this t-shirt I used to have titled " Heavy Metal" that contained pictures of elements of the periodic table.
 
Still can't get used to it with the masks, mostly the black ones, when looking at women from far away: is that a #$@ mustache ?!