What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Borg said:
I have to keep track of dozens of 14+ length passwords for my work that require numbers, letters and special characters and also change frequently. It's not a lot of fun sometimes but it beats the hell out of getting hacked because of poor security.
I use LastPass for that very reason
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Out work IT department recently switched us to 24 characters. But it is any character, no need for the numbers, caps, bangs etc. I guess as long as you don't use the well known ones (like, correct horse battery staple) you will be OK.

And they say, we can keep the same password for 5 years.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: atyy
24 you said? This is a trap! Don't fall for it!

You can keep it for five years
123 456 7890 12 345 6789 01234
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gmax137
fresh_42 said:
24 you said? This is a trap! Don't fall for it!

You can keep it for five years
123 456 7890 12 345 6789 01234
Do the spaces count?
 
How about the idea of different versions of the same arrangements? Meaning a general formula that generates different values, one for each password?
 
If ever you need a 1.3 x 10^6 character password generator, here is your Source
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
BWV said:
If ever you need a 1.3 x 10^6 character password generator, here is your Source.
Where did you get my last C compiler call under UNIX from?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BWV
fresh_42 said:
Where did you get my last C compiler call under UNIX from?
It's a list of birthdays in Poland.
 
I finally figured out how to stop Windows 10 from updating to feature build 2004 whose "security enhancements" include things like lots of in-your-face options to save your data to Microsoft's OneDrive and new abilities to blog from your Outlook email. Since when does an OS security enhancement have to go into desktop applications, completely redesign them (updated Office 2019 to Office 365), change all of the layouts and add new security holes? :headbang:

Here's the link for anyone who's interested in stopping the 2004 feature build from installing:
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/29/windows-10-registry-trick-to-block-feature-updates/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Unless there is something very unusual with my phone, neither charging nor energy use are linear. Don't know why I assumed they would be.
 
I meant charging time or battery time, but maybe charging time is more accurate since I am not using the phone for any else. Battery time otoh may depend on what I use the phone for.
 
fresh_42 said:
Not even the power supply is linear.
You mean power output, e.g., KWatts, I guess per unit of time?
 
WWGD said:
You mean power output, e.g., KWatts, I guess per unit of time?
I remember that we built a clock at school in physics. We used the power supply as a pulse generator. I know ever since that what comes out of the wall is more a random number generator than anything stable.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Borg said:
I finally figured out how to stop Windows 10 from updating to feature build 2004 whose "security enhancements" include things like lots of in-your-face options to save your data to Microsoft's OneDrive and new abilities to blog from your Outlook email. Since when does an OS security enhancement have to go into desktop applications, completely redesign them (updated Office 2019 to Office 365), change all of the layouts and add new security holes? :headbang:

Here's the link for anyone who's interested in stopping the 2004 feature build from installing:
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/29/windows-10-registry-trick-to-block-feature-updates/
I'm still running windows 7 and have been using this to keep windows 10 from doing it's thing:
GWX Control Panel
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
dlgoff said:
I'm still running windows 7 and have been using this to keep windows 10 from doing it's thing:
GWX Control Panel
How do you do without the security patches/updates?
 
If he had said " an outlier" , instead of " a outlier", he would have avoided the a-a " vowel movement".
 
dlgoff said:
I'm still running windows 7 and have been using this to keep windows 10 from doing it's thing
I upgraded a W7 laptop to W10 and my old scanner still worked fine. Then had to get a new W10 laptop. According to everything I could find, there is no way to get that scanner to work with W10.
 
WWGD said:
How do you do without the security patches/updates?
I use windows update every once in a while.
 
New trick for sandwiches. Leave them out for 30 minutes after making them so they reach room temperature.
 
dlgoff said:
I use windows update every once in a while.
Does that update security patches?
 
WWGD said:
Does that update security patches?
yep
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
dlgoff said:
yep
Still, I assume win 7 will not be supported indefinitely. What do you do then?
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
WWGD said:
Still, I assume win 7 will not be supported indefinitely. What do you do then?
Sometimes, switching backward works surprisingly well.
Nobody writes new viruses for win98 for ages already.
( :wink: )
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and dlgoff
WWGD said:
Still, I assume win 7 will not be supported indefinitely. What do you do then?
I'm not even using it now. I'm using Google Chrome.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
dlgoff said:
I'm not even using it now. I'm using Google Chrome.
Sorry, did not mean to hound you, just curious. So you're using chrome as your OS and not just a browser?
 
No, my mistake. I'm actually using windows 7 as my operating system. Now I feel really dumb. :cry:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
dlgoff said:
No, my mistake. I'm actually using windows 7 as my operating system. Now I feel really dumb. :cry:
Don't worry, you're still pretty far from asking for the latest version of the interwebs. Or heiling a cab and asking : " Quick, take me to the internet!" ;).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
I've had decent results with using Google weather (I just search my zip and weather). However, the past two weeks or so have been horrendous.

Constantly says it's going to rain every day and it's never been right except once (been sunny and dry). And it constantly says it's relatively low wind (low single digits to maybe as high as 12 mph). However, it feels more like it's been 15 to even close to 20 mph lately.

Be better Google weather!