What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
WWGD said:
La Cucaracha?
No, not a Spanish folk song, but a Caribbean folk song.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
No, not a Spanish folk song, but a Caribbean folk song.
Tally me Banana?
 
WWGD said:
Tally me Banana?
I knew that "Caribbean" wasn't a hint, 'cause most people don't know (although the Bahamas are part of the lyrics). And maybe it is a triangle that was used for that long high tone. Well, at least I always want to sing along whenever I only hear that single (high) tone.
 
fresh_42 said:
I knew that "Caribbean" wasn't a hint, 'cause most people don't know (although the Bahamas are part of the lyrics). And maybe it is a triangle that was used for that long high tone. Well, at least I always want to sing along whenever I only hear that single (high) tone.
Triangle? Maybe Harry " Pythagoras" Belafonte?
 
Supertramp Long Way Home ? ... wrong note and wrong octave, but the other ones were messed up, as well. (B5 is in 2/2 not 4/4 ; Smoke's off by an octave)
 
hmmm27 said:
Supertramp Long Way Home ? ... wrong note and wrong octave, but the other ones were messed up, as well. (B5 is in 2/2 not 4/4 ; Smoke's off by an octave)
Good note sheets are hard to find, and usually, also depend on the instrument. Could be that I erased the missing octave because it was hard to see on the screenshot.

And the Bahamas already occur in line 3. Long Way Home isn't a folk song.
 
I don't understand why people regularly complain that we do not discuss their personal speculations. We have a science fiction forum!
 
WWGD said:
wearing his bike helmet
Could be like this:
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/running-with-my-fear
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Keith_McClary said:
Could be like this:
Thank you. Thought maybe it was a new fashion and , as usual, I was out of the loop. These Z kids today wearing #$% helmets. Fake aside: that's why Germany's former PM, Helmet Kohl got his name.
 
Last edited:
I know it sounds like nonsense but exporting data from X to Y does not always come out the same is importing in Y from X. Kind of large difference when using SQL, Excel.
 
Ibix said:
The old Excel looks-like-a-date bug?
Precisely. At least my 2007-10 version. Opposite direction with SQL Server Wizard exporting was, has been all along, much easier.
 
Mr Grichik: Maybe best not to name your daughter ' Ann(e)'
 
WWGD said:
so, @fresh_42 : Any update on your musical query?
I considered it solved. The .wav file I uploaded has had the title if opened with Windows player.
 
fresh_42 said:
I considered it solved. The .wav file I uploaded has had the title if opened with Windows player.

Good. I want to go home. I want to go home, I feel so broke up, I want to go home.

Is it originally theirs?
 
WWGD said:
Good. I want to go home. I want to go home, I feel so broke up, I want to go home.

Is it originally theirs?
I read that it is a Caribbean folk song, but I don't remember whether the entire song or only the tune.
 
After being wiped out financially in his divorce, Robert DeNiro is now called Robert" No Tengo" DeNiro.
 
fresh_42 said:
I read that it is a Caribbean folk song, but I don't remember whether the entire song or only the tune.
Why are some Californians singing so many songs about the Caribbean? How about the other one: Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I want to take her, Bermuda, Banana , common pretty mama ...( can't remember the name of the song). Not enough interesting things going on in Cali?
 
WWGD said:
Why are some Californians singing so many songs about the Caribbean? How about the other one: Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I want to take her, Bermuda, Banana , common pretty mama ...( can't remember the name of the song). Not enough interesting things going on in Cali?
Kokomo. Seems so. At least a lot fewer islands.
 
fresh_42 said:
Kokomo. Seems so. At least a lot fewer islands.
I never heard of any island called Kokomo. It is the name of a town, in, I think, Indiana. Even stranger. Guess all that stuff they smoked?
 
WWGD said:
I never heard of any island called Kokomo. It is the name of a town, in, I think, Indiana. Even stranger. Guess all that stuff they smoked?
Kokomo is a pop song by The Beach Boys. It appeared in 1988 as a single on Elektra Records and is part of the soundtrack to the movie Cocktail. Filming locations: mainly Canada, NYC, and Jamaica. At least a bit of a justification.
 
fresh_42 said:
Kokomo is a pop song by The Beach Boys. It appeared in 1988 as a single on Elektra Records and is part of the soundtrack to the movie Cocktail. Filming locations: mainly Canada, NYC, and Jamaica. At least a bit of a justification.
To make it even stranger, Jamaica ( Queens) is part of NYC. But it seems it originates from a local tribe called Jamaeka or something like that. Edit: But maybe the BB were sampling the merchandise from ' Cocktail'.
 
BTW, I think the BBs are still playing, orcat least did some reunion shows. Some band had one " Hell Froze Over", but I think it was not them.