What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 755K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
Oh yes. I have more than once been given ##\dfrac{a}{b}## and ##\dfrac{c}{d}## and requested to calculate ##\dfrac{a+c}{b+d}##. Of course, it was hidden behind words like bonuses, indexes, or similar. But at its core, it was just that.WWGD said:I assume most here in PF have had to navigate the chasm between the technical and business worlds.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
WWGD said:I assume most here in PF have had to navigate the chasm between the technical and business worlds.
Yes, you make money in the business world.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
https://www.ticinotopten.ch/en/trekking/curztt-tibetan-bridgeTibetan Bridge of Curzútt
This four-hour walk in the hills along the right bank of the Ticino River, in the region facing the Magadino Plain, does not only offer a beautiful scenery, but also boasts several points of interest. The thrill of crossing one of the longest Tibetan bridges in Switzerland (270 metres); the discovery of the Romanesque church of San Bernardo, featuring a number of beautiful frescoes of 14th and 15th century; a visit to the old and beautifully restored housing cluster of Curzútt, testifying to the time when daily life mainly revolved around hillside activities.
And being in the neighborhood - https://www.claviere.it/en/la-stazione/estate/ponte-tibetano-cesana-claviere/
- 13,926
- 16,804
Um... no thanks.
The link turns out to take you to an LP called Leprosy by a band called Death (Amazon's top choice for death leprosy, I gather) and a lot of textbooks about leprosy and its history.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Wait, before you buy. I will first order some calls on pharma stocks.Ibix said:Um... no thanks.
The link turns out to take you to an LP called Leprosy by a band called Death (Amazon's top choice for death leprosy, I gather) and a lot of textbooks about leprosy and its history.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I remember a while back someone asking if they could buy " Loosies/Lucys" from me; could not make out what they were. I wondered if Lucy was short for LSD ( " Lucy in the sky with diamonds"), but I think it was loosies, as in loose cigarettes.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
As useful as :Ibix said:View attachment 286770
Um... no thanks.
The link turns out to take you to an LP called Leprosy by a band called Death (Amazon's top choice for death leprosy, I gather) and a lot of textbooks about leprosy and its history.
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
Those microchips are always showing off.WWGD said:Kind of strange calculator in my phone. It prrsents all partial results when multiplying as I enter the numbers. Example: 120x130 will first show a 120, as 120x1, then will show 1560 as 120x13, then finally the full result 15600.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
I think your device is ill.Ibix said:View attachment 286770
Um... no thanks.
The link turns out to take you to an LP called Leprosy by a band called Death (Amazon's top choice for death leprosy, I gather) and a lot of textbooks about leprosy and its history.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=leprosy&ia=web
- 13,926
- 16,804
Adding or removing the "t=palemoon" parameter (which seems to identify your browser - I'm in Firefox) makes the difference. That's... interesting.Tom.G said:I think your device is ill.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=leprosy&ia=web
- 13,926
- 16,804
They're HTTP GET parameters - essentially variables and values that are passed to the search engine that generates the page. The ? signifies the beginning of parameters and the & delimits them.
The q parameter here is obviously the search term. The t parameter is apparently the originating browser (I didn't know of the Palemoon browser, but now I do, and I know that Tom.G uses it, which is why you should be a little careful posting URLs because they can leak information - nothing serious in this case, but still). I can't immediately guess what the ia parameter is.
The q parameter here is obviously the search term. The t parameter is apparently the originating browser (I didn't know of the Palemoon browser, but now I do, and I know that Tom.G uses it, which is why you should be a little careful posting URLs because they can leak information - nothing serious in this case, but still). I can't immediately guess what the ia parameter is.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Thanks. Were the parameters entered by Tom or generated by Palemoon engine ?Ibix said:They're HTTP GET parameters - essentially variables and values that are passed to the search engine that generates the page. The ? signifies the beginning of parameters and the & delimits them.
The q parameter here is obviously the search term. The t parameter is apparently the originating browser (I didn't know of the Palemoon browser, but now I do, and I know that Tom.G uses it, which is why you should be a little careful posting URLs because they can leak information - nothing serious in this case, but still). I can't immediately guess what the ia parameter is.
- 13,926
- 16,804
They come from the HTML/Javascript in the previous page. It's one way of passing parameters from things like text boxes, and the Javascript apparently added a browser string and whatever the ia parameter is.WWGD said:Thanks. Were the parameters entered by Tom or generated by Palemoon engine ?
It's useful because you can go straight to the DuckDuckGo results page by entering the URL https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whatever (or generating that string in some application), but it means URLs get very lengthy. There are other ways of doing things if you want to avoid that.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I first recognized it when I linked amazon books.Ibix said:The q parameter here is obviously the search term. The t parameter is apparently the originating browser (I didn't know of the Palemoon browser, but now I do, and I know that Tom.G uses it, which is why you should be a little careful posting URLs because they can leak information - nothing serious in this case, but still). I can't immediately guess what the ia parameter is.
Before edit:
https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Algebraic-Groups-Graduate-Mathematics/dp/0387901086/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=linear+algebraic+groups&qid=1627562832&sr=8-1
After edit:
https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Algebraic-Groups-Graduate-Mathematics/dp/0387901086/
Same page.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I have heard of people who have bought old , unused planes or buses, removed everything in the inside and turned it into their houses. Seems a bus with its windows would be difficult to secure. I can see someone having their homes robbed but not stolen.
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
Probably all their other possessions are also repurposed items.WWGD said:I have heard of people who have bought old , unused planes or buses, removed everything in the inside and turned it into their houses. Seems a bus with its windows would be difficult to secure. I can see someone having their homes robbed but not stolen.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Being unused sounds new to me.WWGD said:I have heard of people who have bought old , unused planes or buses, removed everything in the inside and turned it into their houses. Seems a bus with its windows would be difficult to secure. I can see someone having their homes robbed but not stolen.
Tom Wolfe wrote a journal/novel called "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" about writer Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters crossing the US and living in a repurposed school bus styled "Further". I saw the bus at a party in La Honda as a kid and met Neil Cassidy, the bus driver with the 4 lb. sledge hammer. He was planning on driving the bus north to Oregon and installing it on Kesey's ranch to live in as his home.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
My bad, should be used planes/buses.Klystron said:Being unused sounds new to me.
Tom Wolfe wrote a journal/novel called "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" about writer Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters crossing the US and living in a repurposed school bus styled "Further". I saw the bus at a party in La Honda as a kid and met Neil Cassidy, the bus driver with the 4 lb. sledge hammer. He was planning on driving the bus north to Oregon and installing it on Kesey's ranch to live in as his home.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I have heard google taylors its searches/search results individually, depending on previous searches it has stored. Can this be gleamed from the search string (or otherwise)?fresh_42 said:I first recognized it when I linked amazon books.
Before edit:
https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Algebraic-Groups-Graduate-Mathematics/dp/0387901086/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=linear+algebraic+groups&qid=1627562832&sr=8-1
After edit:
https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Algebraic-Groups-Graduate-Mathematics/dp/0387901086/
Same page.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Wow, just said hi to someone I had not seen in around 2 years, a casual acquaintance and got the coldest reply. Oh, yes, [name], remember we talked about x? Mhuh. Wow, what's the deal with the delta variant? Think we'll need another jab? Mhuh. Guess that's a bye bye, so long farewell.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Were you wearing a mask?WWGD said:Wow, just said hi to someone I had not seen in around 2 years, a casual acquaintance and got the coldest reply. Oh, yes, [name], remember we talked about x? Mhuh. Wow, what's the deal with the delta variant? Think we'll need another jab? Mhuh. Guess that's a bye bye, so long farewell.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
And I guess they ended up in the " Cuckoo's Nest"?Klystron said:Being unused sounds new to me.
Tom Wolfe wrote a journal/novel called "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" about writer Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters crossing the US and living in a repurposed school bus styled "Further". I saw the bus at a party in La Honda as a kid and met Neil Cassidy, the bus driver with the 4 lb. sledge hammer. He was planning on driving the bus north to Oregon and installing it on Kesey's ranch to live in as his home.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
The browser used was "mypal" which is a fork of a later version of Firefox than I normally use... normally use except when it doesn't recognize the 'New-and-Improved' features on some web pages.Ibix said:Adding or removing the "t=palemoon" parameter (which seems to identify your browser - I'm in Firefox) makes the difference. That's... interesting.
The only reason I switched to 'mypal' for that search was easy access to duckduckgo.com, which was the pre-installed default search engine.
I generally sanitize any URLs I post and that one was deemed safe. By contrast the URL generated by Google is 313 characters long, which I strip down to 41 characters as shown here.
https://www.google.com/search?&q=leprosy
Yup. When I clear my Google cookies I got more inclusive responses. Most noticeable was search results showing up from Google Scholar. (scholar.google.com)WWGD said:I have heard google taylors its searches/search results individually, depending on previous searches it has stored. Can this be gleamed from the search string (or otherwise)?
Apparently there are some things we mere mortals are not supposed to notice/worry about.
Try this experiment:
on www.Google.com, search for the word: Apparently
then switch to scholar.google.com and search
Cheers,
Tom
- 13,926
- 16,804
But the consequences can be pretty devastating nonetheless.WWGD said:But, hey, no one's died of being snubbed
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2