What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
fresh_42 said:
There is a documentary on tv about a 4 mast barque built in 1911. The ship has lately been in NYC for a long time, like a museum or so, and they brought it back to Germany where it was constructed. I wonder about its name. It is named after the capital of China, Bejing. However, Bejing in German is Peking. How did New Yorkers pronounce that ship and what did they think? Pee-King?
One of the words with many spellings. See too: Khadaffi, Khomeini.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Saw a recent pic of Schwartzenneger where he seems in great shape. We can only conclude Photoshop has greatly improved over the last few years.
 
fresh_42 said:
There is a documentary on tv about a 4 mast barque built in 1911. The ship has lately been in NYC for a long time, like a museum or so, and they brought it back to Germany where it was constructed. I wonder about its name. It is named after the capital of China, Bejing. However, Bejing in German is Peking. How did New Yorkers pronounce that ship and what did they think? Pee-King?
We Americans (at least outside of New York City) pronounce it as "Pay-king" with a slight stress on the second syllable.
Ibix said:
I tried ordering thoughts, but it turns out that there are no hits for "thoughts" in Shopping, at least with DuckDuckGo.
View attachment 286510
Ahh, there be the problem, try Google.
Just the first page has pricing from USD $5 to USD $1500.

Here is an example:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/592170533/thoughts?gpla=1&gao=1&

:oldbiggrin:
 
ergospherical said:
I can't decide what's more embarrassing, my browser history or my calculator history. 😐
My calculator history:
360px-TI-30-3682e2.jpg

Image credit: Loadmaster (David R. Tribble), CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, ergospherical and Keith_McClary
Reminded me that I have spent substantial amount of time trying to find picture of this model.

ADMAN_L-0831T.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and ergospherical
fresh_42 said:
Puh! Here is my calculator history:

View attachment 286550

I still use my first calculator to do my taxes
 
Attachments
  • 1627223891184.png
    1627223891184.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and ergospherical
OK, my first non-electronic calculator was this:
pxfuel.com.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Klystron and ergospherical
I still have the calculator I bought in 1976. It's in perfect shape, easy to use, and works great off of its little built in photoelectric panel.

Before that I had a job working for my dad on a Wang calculator. I also punched cards on a machine with with one of those drum cards. (It's hard to explain.)
 
Speaking of abacuses, I have an abacus sitting on my mantle that my uncle took from a dead Japanese soldier in WWII.

PS, I'm not as old as that makes me sound. My father had brothers old enough to be his father.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I still use my first calculator to do my taxes

DrGreg said:
OK, my first non-electronic calculator was this:
View attachment 286552

Hornbein said:
I still have the calculator I bought in 1976. It's in perfect shape, easy to use, and works great off of its little built in photoelectric panel.

Before that I had a job working for my dad on a Wang calculator. I also punched cards on a machine with with one of those drum cards. (It's hard to explain.)
Ivan Seeking said:
Speaking of abacuses, I have an abacus sitting on my mantle that my uncle took from a dead Japanese soldier in WWII.

PS, I'm not as old as that makes me sound. My father had brothers old enough to be his father.

We've had a member until last year whose first calculator was

csm_Keilschrift_01_b0d5555839.jpg
Guess he couldn't cope with our modern viruses.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking said:
Speaking of abacuses, I have an abacus sitting on my mantle that my uncle took from a dead Japanese soldier in WWII.

PS, I'm not as old as that makes me sound. My father had brothers old enough to be his father.
I somehow remember a line I heard from this lady some 10 years ago: " I have two sons ( ages) 23 and 2".
 
WWGD said:
I somehow remember a line I heard from this lady some 10 years ago: " I have two sons ( ages) 23 and 2".
11 children IIRC. 2 died as children. I never did get them all straight.
 
fresh_42 said:
We've had a member until last year whose first calculator was

View attachment 286555Guess he couldn't cope with our modern viruses.
That was also how we reported posts back when PF first started. It was the old chisel and camel method.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
And I was always asking myself why that mule stood in the corner of the report office. Now it makes sense.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
11 children IIRC. 2 died as children. I never did get them all straight.
Can't remember? That's what " Hey/Hey you, Hey man" was invented.
 
fresh_42 said:
And I was always asking myself why that mule stood in the corner of the report office. Now it makes sense.
The one with the mules? Wouldn't that be Muller?
 
WWGD said:
Can't remember? That's what " Hey/Hey you, Hey man" was invented.
There were a few aunts and uncles in our area and they were mostly part of our immediate family. But I only met some of them briefly as a child. We lived in California and they lived in SD. They were so old compared to my dad I actually thought they were great uncles LOL!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ivan Seeking said:
There were a few aunts and uncles in our area and they were mostly part of our immediate family. But I only met some of them briefly as a child. We lived in California and they lived in SD. They were so old compared to my dad I actually thought they were great uncles LOL!
Same with my great great great grandfather. Actually, he was just my great great grandfather, but he was really great.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and Ivan Seeking
Some day I'll figure out and get straight the relations between goat, sheep, ram, ewe, etc.
 
The business plan was so secret even the presenter did not know/understand it.
 
WWGD said:
Some day I'll figure out and get straight the relations between goat, sheep, ram, ewe, etc.
Mostly they are just friends.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
WWGD said:
Some day I'll figure out and get straight the relations between goat, sheep, ram, ewe, etc.
[Accent=Billy Connolly]If ewe've goat to sheep tak a wee 'ram of whisky[/accent].
 
See the Coolidge Effect to understand the relationship between a ram and a ewe.

Then see how the effect got its name.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Then see how the effect got its name.
Stay cool with Cal, indeed...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
WWGD said:
The business plan was so secret even the presenter did not know/understand it.
Ah, Amway.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Tom.G
Ivan Seeking said:
Ah, Amway.
But he wants me to set up a database without " giving away the secret". I can't drive the point to him on how nonsensical that is.