What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
Astronuc said:
I admit that I buy e-textbooks, since I use some information from the books in reports. I prefer the hardcopy textbooks.
I wonder about the consequences these changes to digital media will have in the long run. It is a completely different experience, whether one digs through libraries for hours or using electronic search methods. I still prefer the bookshelf over the computer (or similar) when I want to look up something. And my reading is different, too.

The last time we had a major change was when we only had letters between scientists and the big books from Newton or Gauß and changed to modern textbooks. It resulted in a massive increase in numbers and quality of research. I really doubt that this will be the case again. I rather fear that the opposite is the case: FIFO in the knowledge queue.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous and Astronuc
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Pearson CEO predicts demise of physical textbooks as digital service launches :oops::frown:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pear...bscription-textbook-app-launch-192710982.html

I admit that I buy e-textbooks, since I use some information from the books in reports. I prefer the hardcopy textbooks. I can't see renting a book by the month. I prefer to own it outright, so that I can refer back later.
It's tricky. I agree in general but have so much paperwork in my place; books, notebooks, exams, etc., that it takes up too much space. Maybe middle of the road; scanned copies may be ideal for me.
 
I see people in ( outdoor, while walking by) coffee shops, bars , relaxing to the tune of the song " Pumped up Kicks" , seemingly ignorant of the fact that it is a song about a quiet kid that goes into a shooting rampage , in part because he envies the cool shoes ( " Pumped up Kicks") other kids have which he cannot afford.
 
fresh_42 said:
I wonder about the consequences these changes to digital media will have in the long run. It is a completely different experience, whether one digs through libraries for hours or using electronic search methods. I still prefer the bookshelf over the computer (or similar) when I want to look up something. And my reading is different, too.

The last time we had a major change was when we only had letters between scientists and the big books from Newton or Gauß and changed to modern textbooks. It resulted in a massive increase in numbers and quality of research. I really doubt that this will be the case again. I rather fear that the opposite is the case: FIFO in the knowledge queue.
But on the practical side, I can often do in minutes, or seconds, or technically in 0.024 seconds, what once took hours.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Astronuc
Ivan Seeking said:
But on the practical side, I can often do in minutes, or seconds, or technically in 0.024 seconds, what once took hours.
But you miss all the things you found on your way during these hours! I simply think that it is knowledge that didn't come to stay.
 
fresh_42 said:
But you miss all the things you found on your way during these hours! I simply think that it is knowledge that didn't come to stay.
There's something to be said for both. Browsing randomly can bring about productive, unexpected results * but sometimes you just need things done ASAP.

* I am trying to remember the precise term here, without success.
Edit: Serendipity is the word I was thinking of.
 
This could also be a TIL -

Yukon–Koyukuk Census Area is a census area in the U.S. state of Alaska. As of the 2010 census, the population was 5,588. It has the largest area of any county or county-equivalent in the United States, with an area of 147,805 square miles (382,810 km2).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon–Koyukuk_Census_Area,_Alaska

San Bernardino County in California is the largest county in the contiguous United States with an area of 20,105 square miles (52,070 km2).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Bernardino_County,_California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_counties_in_the_United_States_by_area
 
I
Astronuc said:
This could also be a TIL -

Yukon–Koyukuk Census Area is a census area in the U.S. state of Alaska. As of the 2010 census, the population was 5,588. It has the largest area of any county or county-equivalent in the United States, with an area of 147,805 square miles (382,810 km2).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon–Koyukuk_Census_Area,_Alaska

San Bernardino County in California is the largest county in the contiguous United States with an area of 20,105 square miles (52,070 km2).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Bernardino_County,_California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_counties_in_the_United_States_by_area
Instead of people per square mile, Yukon should be measured in square miles per person. I imagine similar is the case with nearby Nunavut ( Canada).
 
Few things tick me off more than whenever a book uses that grotesque ##v_{,a}## and ##v_{;a}## notation for partial and covariant derivatives. It's hard enough to read in print, and near impossible to handwrite. :cry:

[Whilst we're at it, I also don't trust anyone who puts their primes on the indices (##v^{a'}## as opposed to ##{v'}^a##). Also, why not just use tildes (##\tilde{v}^a##) or bars (##\bar{v}^a##) - they're much more readable, and get lost much less easily, than primes. :wink:]
 
ergospherical said:
Few things tick me off more than whenever a book uses that grotesque ##v_{,a}## and ##v_{;a}## notation for partial and covariant derivatives. It's hard enough to read in print, and near impossible to handwrite. :cry:

[Whilst we're at it, I also don't trust anyone who puts their primes on the indices (##v^{a'}## as opposed to ##{v'}^a##). Also, why not just use tildes (##\tilde{v}^a##) or bars (##\bar{v}^a##) - they're much more readable, and get lost much less easily, than primes. :wink:]
You are not the first and certainly won't be the last who tried to clean his screen or even a page in a book from that little dirty mark that finally turned out to be a prime and not a fruit fly.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous, Keith_McClary, Klystron and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
You are not the first and certainly won't be the last who tried to clean his screen or even a page in a book from that little dirty mark that finally turned out to be a prime and not a fruit fly.
Differential Geometry becomes way easier once you figure out the notation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron

Everything You Need to Know About the True Origins of the Everything Bagel​

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/who-invented-the-everything-bagel
The everything bagel is the king of bagels. On this there should be no argument. In the same way that it combines all of the key bagel toppings—sesame and poppy seeds, dried garlic and onion, and coarse salt . . .
I prefer the classic Everything Bagel.
 
I am pretty sure you know this but one of the best math physics expositors is John Baez. He presents math better than many math physicists , for my taste.
 
WWGD said:
I am pretty sure you know this but one of the best math physics expositors is John Baez. He presents math better than many math physicists , for my taste.
Have you looked at Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity? I've only finished Part I (out of III) so far [and I've been a bit frugal in doing the problems, lolz], but the bits I have engaged with so far are freaking beautiful. :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
A bit of courtesy many ignore is elaborating when sending a message ( text , email, etc), saying something along the lines of " I need to talk to you". The person receiving it starts frantically backtracking over all things they could have possibly done wrong at some point.
 
fresh_42 said:
But you miss all the things you found on your way during these hours! I simply think that it is knowledge that didn't come to stay.
When I have been forced to use textbooks for my work in recent years, I find myself instinctively trying to hit Ctrl-F.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Windows 10 seems to have decided to hide battery setings on the task bar ?? Found out at the last minute battery was terminally low.
 
WWGD said:
Windows 10 seems to have decided to hide battery setings on the task bar ?? Found out at the last minute battery was terminally low.
I assume you can change the order by drag and drop to get it back from the list to the task bar. Yep.
 
If you saw an alien spacecraft land near you, which way would you run, towards it or away from it?
 
Ivan Seeking said:
If you saw an alien spacecraft land near you, which way would you run, towards it or away from it?
Into it. Way too curious how they solved the problem with the distances.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous, Ivan Seeking and Tom.G
fresh_42 said:
I assume you can change the order by drag and drop to get it back from the list to the task bar. Yep.
Drag from where? What list?
 
WWGD said:
Drag from where? What list?
1627965977085.png
 
I was sitting at the cafe facing the door and it was raining outside. People would walk in and do a small jump to wipe their feet. It felt like they were all doing a sort of homage to me. Maybe I am a narcissist or something. It seems like the latest fashionable word.
 
fresh_42 said:
Into it. Way too curious how they solved the problem with the distances.
They use alien burger fuel. Terra burgers here on earth.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
If you saw an alien spacecraft land near you, which way would you run, towards it or away from it?

fresh_42 said:
Into it. Way too curious how they solved the problem with the distances.
Here is your chance!
Alien Spacecraft-2.png

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20445002There is was also one for sale in Christchurch, New Zealand as of November, 2020.
l-and-is-sure-to-turn-heads-wherever-it-lands-next.jpg

https://www.dwell.com/article/futur...land-real-estate-2321cd1a/6729758124361347072

PLEASE, PLEASE, Let Us Know What You Find!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
WWGD said:
I was sitting at the cafe facing the door and it was raining outside. People would walk in and do a small jump to wipe their feet.
If it keeps raining, the doormat will get soaked and it will splatter mud when they do that.