What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,661
Evo said:
but I steep them in artificially sweetened

I too like citrus peel. When they serve me water with lemon i eat the whole slice .

But i will not ingest any artificial sweetener. I'd have to use honey.
Am contemplating Stevia but have yet to remember to pick up a small package if the stuff.

Likes Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,662
Evo said:
Just wash them well.
The producers, I guess, right ? ;).

• #2,663
fresh_42 said:
That doesn't help because the poison is usually too deep under the surface. But a friend of mine swears on oranges as a prophylaxes for urethra infections. The season just starts now. I'll watch out for the cara caras, you made me curious.
Cara caras made you curio curious.

Likes Evo
  • #2,664
Asymptotic said:
Teletype model 33 ASR with paper tape program storage. Learned BASIC and FORTRAN using punched cards for programming.

We must've started about the same time.
I really liked paper tape - you can repair a corrupted file with scotch tape and a sharp pocket knife. I had to do that more than once..

Likes Asymptotic
  • #2,665
"they" = "crows"
fresh_42 said:
I've seen a documentation on TV of a park in Paris where they only picked up left overs from McDonald's and left the other brands unseen.
The crows left the other brands unseen because they didn't see them. That's probably also why they didn't eat the scraps of the other brands.:biggrin:

• #2,666
Asymptotic said:
One of my pet peeves is "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Is it too much trouble for the OS to tell me exactly why it doesn't want to dismount a USB drive?

If the memory device happens to be writing for whatever reason at the time of removal it could cause corruption (because something that was meant to be written was only partially stored). The "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" is a guarantee that the device is not presently writing anything.

Likes Asymptotic
  • #2,667
fresh_42 said:
That doesn't help because the poison is usually too deep under the surface. But a friend of mine swears on oranges as a prophylaxes for urethra infections. The season just starts now. I'll watch out for the cara caras, you made me curious.
At my age I've consumed so many pesticides, if it was going to have an effect, it would have by now. Heck, when I was little, we used to run behind the trucks for fun that sprayed DDT for mosquitos every week, enveloped in the thick foggy spray.

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,668
jim hardy said:
Just found the freezes seem related to something using up all 2gb of memory.
At least thru XP, Windows silently crashes when the Page File runs out of room and/or disk space. By default, Windows creates a dynamically sized Page File on the system drive with a default size based on the amount of memory in the machine. If it can't expand the Page File when the disk gets full, it doesn't know what to do and goes catatonic. The solution that worked here was to take advantage of the option to create a large, fixed size, Page File on a different logical drive. With 4GB of RAM, I made a 20GB, fixed-size file. Probably overkill but stopped the crashes even when doing image or video editing.

p.s. That one had me going in circles for months!

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,669
Tom.G said:
The solution that worked here was to take advantage of the option to create a large, fixed size, Page File on a different logical drive. With 4GB of RAM, I made a 20GB, fixed-size file. Probably overkill but stopped the crashes even when doing image or video editing.
Can one use a usb stick to do that ?

• #2,670
Evo said:
Heck, when I was little, we used to run behind the trucks for fun that sprayed DDT for mosquitos every week, enveloped in the thick foggy spray.
Where'd you grow up ?

One of my earliest memories is the Miami Springs DDT truck spraying every tree ficus along the street where i lived. When it blasted the one in front of my house, a dozen or so kids came scrambling down amid a mix of shrieks and laughter . .
We moved our tree fort to the back yard.

old jim

• #2,671
jim hardy said:
Where'd you grow up ?

One of my earliest memories is the Miami Springs DDT truck spraying every tree ficus along the street where i lived. When it blasted the one in front of my house, a dozen or so kids came scrambling down amid a mix of shrieks and laughter . .
We moved our tree fort to the back yard.

old jim
I grew up in Houston, TX, they'd spray for mosquitos every Friday night.

• #2,672
(Referring to Page Files.)
jim hardy said:
Can one use a usb stick to do that ?
I haven't tried it, but probably not. The USB drivers are loaded rather late in the boot-up process so may not be available when the Page File is set up. Also, USB sticks are excruciatingly slow and would likely add to your frustration.

As "everybody says," hard drives are cheap these days. If you have the room in the box and connectivity for another drive, that's the easy way; just add a drive. More difficult is replacing your current drive with a larger one. Copying all your files and programs and patching the WIndows Registry to run on a new drive is possible but non-trivial. (Especially patching WIndows Registry.)

When Windows formats a drive, it writes a Unique ID (4 bytes) to an early, normally non-user-accesible, disk sector. It uses this ID in the registry to identify the various drives. And it is this 4 byte ID that is used to complete the boot process and to identify the 'system' drive. (For the technically adept the 4 byte ID is in the Master Boot Record (MBR) at offset 1b8 Hex. From a DOS Command line, execute a DIR command. The ID is shown as Volume Serial Number)

The software that comes with many new drives can copy everything from the old drive to the new, including Windows, but I haven't tried it that way so can't make any recommendation. My gut impression though, is if it didn't work the drive manufacturers would have an insurrection on their hands!

Of course the 'recommended' way is to install Windows on the new drive then re-install ALL your programs; often not a viable option.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic
  • #2,673
collinsmark said:
If the memory device happens to be writing for whatever reason at the time of removal it could cause corruption (because something that was meant to be written was only partially stored). The "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" is a guarantee that the device is not presently writing anything.
My gripe isn't in the benefits of disassociating a device from the OS before unplugging it - that's a good thing. What bugs me is this next-to-useless message.
Problem Ejecting dialog.jpg

The OS knows what it finds concerning, so why not tell me? If file(s) are open, tell me which ones, and where they are. Sometimes, it isn't a file lock at all, but a process has glommed onto the device. For instance, although it may no longer be so, several years ago Rockwell Software would grab onto any USB drive that was plugged in, held it in a death grip, and the only recourse was to reboot, or go through Task Manager, and kill (I believe it was three) of their processes. My guess is they were checking USB drives for software licenses, but never bothered to release the drives when none were found.

Attachments

• Problem Ejecting dialog.jpg
    Problem Ejecting dialog.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 318
Likes collinsmark
  • #2,674
Asymptotic said:
The OS knows what it finds concerning, so why not tell me?
Conjectured answer: "Such 'technical' info confuses and distracts the casual user. (refer to Apple Computer usage for extreme examples.) If we leave it out it may also cut down on inane Tech Support calls."

And I completely agree, exceeedingly maddening.

But considering this is PF, we likely are not 'casual users.'

Likes Asymptotic
  • #2,675
Well
@Tom.G
i got brave and allocated 4000 meg of virtual memory space on E drive, the one carried over from previous computer. Will see if that helps.
Likely i'll plug in some more memory this week.

• #2,676
They put the power outlets really low at 'Bux, a few inches from the floor. I often have to get down on my knees to plug in my power cord. I was this morning on my knees, this woman sitting in front of me, I asked her, since it seemed fitting: " Will you Marry me"? She walked out.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,677
I wonder if Germans get confused at people in U.S studying at "With" (MIT).

Ich studiere am MIT?

• #2,678
WWGD said:
I wonder if Germans get confused at people in U.S studying at "With" (MIT).
We actually pronounce it əm aɪ tiː so the association isn't anywhere close. Those who can't say it right don't know it exists. Better ask why you call it M-I-T when it abbreviates M-E(nstitute)-T?

• #2,679
fresh_42 said:
We actually pronounce it əm aɪ tiː so the association isn't anywhere close. Those who can't say it right don't know it exists.
What if someone is wearing a sweater that just reads "MIT"? Would that be understood? Just that it would seem strange maybe by those who are not aware of it, to see a shirt with the word "with"

• #2,680
WWGD said:
What if someone is wearing a sweater that just reads "MIT"? Would that be understood? Just that it would seem strange maybe by those who are not aware of it, to see a shirt with the word "with"
Fresh, maybe you should always carry a t-shirt that reads " Mit was?" , in case you run into one of these people with the MIT shirt.

• #2,681
Probably not. In this case it's unclear what is meant. With ... what? But those cases are rare. I mean, whom do you expect to wear such a sweater? Likely former MIT students and then again it is within an environment where it is understood, the more as there is probably also the coat of arms (?) on it.

• #2,682
fresh_42 said:
Probably not. In this case it's unclear what is meant. With ... what? But those cases are rare. I mean, whom do you expect to wear such a sweater? Likely former MIT students and then again it is within an environment where it is understood, the more as there is probably also the coat of arms (?) on it.
Sorry, I still think wearing the " Mit Was?" t-shirt just in case is the best solution. But maybe you're right and most recognize the school. Strange that the word "with" would have a coat of arms associated with it, though, but maybe this is just my confusion..

• #2,683
WWGD said:
Sorry, I still think wearing the " Mit Was?" t-shirt just in case is the best solution. But maybe you're right and most recognize the school. Strange that the word "with" would have a coat of arms associated with it, though, but maybe this is just my confusion..
https://museumstore.mit.edu/product/mit-classic-sweatshirt-hoodie-youth/

Maybe I should have written logo or icon. I used the dictionary.

• #2,684
But you gave me an idea. That's a nice conversation starter, as it leaves open with what. In doubt, I would plead "Brain" but some other more x-rated versions are thinkable.

• #2,685
WWGD said:
I was...on my knees, this woman sitting in front of me...
How close were you ! ?

• #2,686
Evo said:
I'm addicted to oranges, so I have at least one orange every day, I also eat the peel. The peel, to me is the best part, yes, it has the most fiber, nutrients, and antioxidants, but I steep them in artificially sweetened green tea and OMG, it's like crack. I'd throw the orange sections away just to get to the peels, they are THAT GOOD!. That's my nightly treat, a big bowlful of diced orange peel in sweet tea.

I am waiting for December to get here because I am addicted to Cara Cara oranges, THE BEST ORANGES IN THE WORLD. They are only available from December to May, you might find a few in June, but the quality declines the closer to summer you get. Trust me on this. I also grow meyer lemons and love to eat them whole too.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

I might have to try that orange peel thing as a sweetener, since I have to avoid sugar. (The actual orange is too sugary for me!)

• #2,688
WWGD said:
Careful with the Trayvon (German?) issues with hoodies.
The German word is "Wappen" as it is more than an icon or a simple logo. It is the same word which is used for heraldic figures. The similarity to "weapon" is not by chance, as they both share a common origin. It literally means "sign on the weapon" which were found on knights' shields and so on. That was why I avoided logo. Maybe emblem would have been an appropriate word.

• #2,689
Seems like a trend: (for-profit)companies I have the least bit of contact with not just asking but almost demanding that I give feedback of all sorts re their performance in some area, often insisting, and, well, essentially demanding that I provide it to then. And for free. I have replied at times, asking them to compensate me if they want my feedback.

• #2,690
Gotta remember : " There is a Jim in the building" ##\neq ## " There is a gym in the building"

• #2,691
I accidentally found a pretty good proxy for political affiliation: explanation for presence/absence of bathrooms in coffee shops ( not kidding)

When I comment to people that a new coffee shop in the corner does not have a bathroom, people whom I know are left-of-center will say something along the lines of:" They just want to make more money by not building it, they don't want you to stay there long". People towards the right will, OTOH say something like " Pretty sure is because people will trash the bathrooms in no time and will stay there indefinitely. ". Not quite a random, representative sample, but a pretty good match for a sample of n=12 people. EDIT: I fell somewhere in-between, considering both options.

Last edited:
  • #2,692
Getting over a bout of E-coli (yes, I was tested) seems I got it from an ORGANIC salad bar. Never again.

• #2,693
Evo said:
Getting over a bout of E-coli (yes, I was tested) seems I got it from an ORGANIC salad bar.
Get well soon. I have heard a few people who know about farming mention that there is no such thing; it is essentially impossible to grow crops without pesticides.

• #2,694
WWGD said:
Get well soon. I have heard a few people who know about farming mention that there is no such thing; it is essentially impossible to grow crops without pesticides.
Thank you WWGD. From now on any raw vegetables I eat I will wash MYSELF. Next I will be diagnosed with a brain tapeworm, kid got it from eating a salad, saw it on the show "Monsters inside me". Ever seen that show? CRIPES!

Likes collinsmark and WWGD
  • #2,695
Every time I run into this guy, he offers me a breath mint/tictac. I don't know if he is being friendly or giving me a hint.