What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
WWGD said:
Thank you, but I don't owe my house any money.
Typical human. Have you forgotten thanksgiving two years back, when you've found the 20 dollar bill in the niches of your living room?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
When it rains it pours. Why is it when people are having hard times financially, creditors do everything they can to make things more expensive and harder on the people trying to get out of debt?

Yes, this is my sentiment as well. We are really very responsible with our money and this situation was totally out of our control.

The company calling for the car payment literally asked us (my wife) why we couldn't borrow money from our parents. She said (and this is true) "They're all dead. That's why." Kind of morbidly funny. Sure shut them up though.

-Dave K
 
fresh_42 said:
Typical human. Have you forgotten thanksgiving two years back, when you've found the 20 dollar bill in the niches of your living room?
I have collected a few over the years, maybe I should write them down. When the telemarketer asks: have you called your aunt Rita? I say: no. Why? Because her name is not Rita. I am thinking of doing a street show with these.
 
A lawyer friend once told me Florida is a debtor's paradise.
Bankruptees there get to keep their home and a car. And they immediately become a great credit risk because they can't file bankruptcy again for seven years.

I've never tried it, though.
 
jim hardy said:
A lawyer friend once told me Florida is a debtor's paradise.
Bankruptees there get to keep their home and a car. And they immediately become a great credit risk because they can't file bankruptcy again for seven years.

I've never tried it, though.

I got as far as googling "how to file for bankruptcy" but it was just one of those desperate moments.
 
dkotschessaa said:
I got as far as googling "how to file for bankruptcy" but it was just one of those desperate moments.
Maybe your numbers mean something : 999/ 666 ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
upload_2017-6-20_14-59-51.png


Done!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
WWGD said:
Outlook's spam filter is so ineffective that I have taken things into my own hands.

For me, clicking "unsubscribe" seems only to trigger more spam.

I've taken to clicking option "View Source"
which displays the header.
Then to the very bottom "Received From" line with one of those isp number addresses that doesn't decode to microsoft.
Next i google that number looking for the isp who's hosting the spammer.
Then i start forwarding spam to 'abuse'@ that isp, usually their webpage will include an abuse link. If not i send it to sales@ that isp, and support@ there too.

Have got six spammer accounts terminated in the last week.
A pain in the butt but feels as good as swatting a pesky fly.

Here's a sample from a header. I highlighted the ip address

look how sneaky they are - it looks like it came from microsoft at 10.152... but complaining to them did no good
Received: from follmer.kachlouul.life (23.91.4.190) by
TY1JPN01FT013.mail.protection.outlook.com (10.152.187.28) with Microsoft SMTP
Server id 15.1.1157.12 via Frontend Transport; Thu, 15 Jun 2017 19:32:37

sure feels good to get this back:

Hi,
We have suspended the IP related to the abuse. If you still notice abuse
from 23.91.4.190, please reply to this ticket right away and we will
investigate the issue.

Thanks,
Support Team
support@psychz.net

I copy and paste the header into the forwarded email, and tell them how i got to them, highlighting the isp number that google reported as them by formatting it as HUGE and RED.

old jim
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-6-20_14-6-28.png
    upload_2017-6-20_14-6-28.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 460
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff, collinsmark and WWGD
dkotschessaa said:
LOL!

I should get some kind of prize for hitting those numbers.
Sorry for the like, I am taking you farther from the ideal numbers ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
jim hardy said:
For me, clicking "unsubscribe" seems only to trigger more spam.

I've taken to clicking option "View Source"
which displays the header.
Then to the very bottom "Received From" line with one of those isp number addresses that doesn't decode to microsoft.
Next i google that number looking for the isp who's hosting the spammer.
Then i start forwarding spam to 'abuse'@ that isp, usually their webpage will include an abuse link. If not i send it to sales@ that isp, and support@ there too.

Have got six spammer accounts terminated in the last week.
A pain in the butt but feels as good as swatting a pesky fly.

Here's a sample from a header. I highlighted the ip address

look how sneaky they are - it looks like it came from microsoft at 10.152... but complaining to them did no goodsure feels good to get this back:
I copy and paste the header into the forwarded email, and tell them how i got to them, highlighting the isp number that google reported as them by formatting it as HUGE and RED.

old jim
Thanks for the detective work, Jim.
 
WWGD said:
Thanks for the detective work, Jim.

Some support guys at a hosting service showed me how. They were being "framed" by spoofing their number into the middle of the header.

With just a little practice i learned to look where they'd told me.

You CAN fight back.

Hosting services Psychs, Krypt, and Serverdedicati have been helpful.

Good Luck !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
WWGD said:
How has it gone since?
It's been fine except for all the grass mowing. Thanks for asking.
 
There was this woman wearing an " I (heart) Algebraic Fractions"t-shirt at Starbucks today. I asked her how they were different from " regular" fractions. She mumbled something and walked away. Kind of strange, it seems neither an advanced topic a nerd would like, nor something taught in high school a teacher would wear. But then again, psychos and weirdos are a dime -a-dozen around here.
 
I would like to open up a Shake'n bake store in the town of Sharm el Sheik. It just sounds good: The Shake'n Bake in Sharm el Sheik
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
WWGD said:
I would like to open up a Shake'n bake store in the town of Sharm el Sheik. It just sounds good: The Shake'n Bake in Sharm el Sheik
My Dad always wanted to move to the town of Idle, specifically to join their Working Men's Club.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
dkotschessaa said:
People from the Philippines are Filipino, not Philipino, and I find that conphusing.
Well, that's because before the Americans came, the country was Las Islas Filipinas, and so its people were called Filipinos. :)
 
Wonder if any patient has ever gone into the I-C-U and come out of the U-C-Me .
 
commodorekitty said:
Well, that's because before the Americans came, the country was Las Islas Filipinas, and so its people were called Filipinos. :)
And no one's bothered because there are no " Hollandese" ( Or Hollandose ;) ). I know Holland is just a province, but many use the name Holland for the Low Countries ( or whatever the official name is). But there aren't any Netherlandese/dose either.

Sometimes when you are listening to music and you see people , it seems people are part of a video for the song you're listening to. Weird how the brain puts things together.
 
fresh_42 said:
But there is a Hollandaise.
Hollandaise is the tensor contraction of Hollandese and Netherlandese, tho I don't know which is covariant and which is contravariant.
 
WWGD said:
Hollandaise is the tensor contraction of Hollandese and Netherlandese, tho I don't know which is covariant and which is contravariant.
This depends on which way you want to look at it. If you consider Holland ##\twoheadleftarrow## Netherlands as projective resolution of the entire Netherlands (reduction to Holland), then you get a covariant functor for the homological resolution and a contravariant functor for the cohomological resolution. Unfortunately it's the other way around, if you consider Holland ##\rightarrowtail## Netherlands as injective resolution (part of) of the entire Netherlands.

And now, excuse me, I have to go and pray I didn't confuse any co's and contra's here ...
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
fresh_42 said:
This depends on which way you want to look at it. If you consider Holland ↞\twoheadleftarrow Netherlands as projective resolution of the entire Netherlands (reduction to Holland), then you get a covariant functor for the homological resolution and a contravariant functor for the cohomological resolution. Unfortunately it's the other way around, if you consider Holland ↣\rightarrowtail Netherlands as injective resolution (part of) of the entire Netherlands.

Wow sounds like a paragraph out of a 1970's political science textbook.

Got me wondering "What's a Nether?"

Origin and Etymology of nether
Middle English, from Old English nithera, from nither down; akin to Old High German nidar down,
as in Low Lying Lands , perhaps ?
Dutch are certainly good at "draining the swamp".
 
jim hardy said:
Wow sounds like a paragraph out of a 1970's political science textbook.Dutch are certainly good at "draining the swamp".

Sorry, Jim, I can't understand the slang you young hep cats use today.
 
WWGD said:
Sorry, Jim, I can't understand the slang you young hep cats use today.

It was a dreadful pun. Sorry.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD