What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 751K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
Yes, neder (Dutch) = nieder (German) = nidar (comparative, old high German) as in Niederlande (Netherlands) and Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) and many common names of settlements. At those places has been more water which made them attractive for agriculture. It is still present in English as in be-neath and under-neath.jim hardy said:Got me wondering "What's a Nether?" as in Low Lying Lands , perhaps ?
Lands doesn't need an explanantion.
Last edited:
Mentor
- 29,213
- 4,643
Roman Witold Ingarden (/ˈroʊmən inˈɡɑːrdən/; February 5, 1893 – June 14, 1970) was a Polish philosopher who worked in phenomenology, ontology and aesthetics.
(Roman is quite a common first name in Poland, Ingarden is not)
(Roman is quite a common first name in Poland, Ingarden is not)
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
I think it's kind of weird, that "nadir" and "nidar" mean almost the same thing, and have supposedly independent origins.fresh_42 said:... = nidar (comparative, old high German) as in Niederlande (Netherlands) and Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) and many common names of settlements.
...
nieder
nadir, "lowest point, opposite of zenith"
ref[wiktionary]
from Old High German nidar "down"
from Proto-Germanic niþer
From Proto-Indo-European niter.
Compare Sanskrit nitarām, “down, downwards”
Compare Sanskrit nitarām, “down, downwards”
nadir, "lowest point, opposite of zenith"
From Medieval Latin nadir
from Arabic (naẓīr as-samt), composed of (naẓīr, “counterpart, corresponding to”) and (as-samt, “the zenith”)
ref[wiktionary]
It's almost as if some travelers learned a new word while traveling through a foreign land, and then couldn't remember the exact pronunciation.
Traveler #1; "What did that guy say the word for 'down' was?"
Traveler #2; "Nadir, nidar. I can't remember. Pick one."
Traveler #1; "Ok. hmmmm... Should we tell anyone where we learned it?"
Traveler #2; "Of course not!"
Traveler #2; "Nadir, nidar. I can't remember. Pick one."
Traveler #1; "Ok. hmmmm... Should we tell anyone where we learned it?"
Traveler #2; "Of course not!"
ps. My mom was born in Niederschlesien.
ref[mom]
- 20,819
- 28,467
Yes, but if you know how nidar is pronounced (with "ee" and not "i"), then the coupling to beneath will answer the ambiguity. Almost identical. (O.k. you also would have to have learned that the "th" was often a former "d","t"or "s": that = das, thanks = danke, think = denken, and so on.)OmCheeto said:It's almost as if some travelers learned a new word while traveling through a foreign land, and then couldn't remember the exact pronunciation.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Perhaps my confusion is based on the fact that I've been pronouncing "nadir" incorrectly for about 40 years.fresh_42 said:Yes, but if you know how nidar is pronounced (with "ee" and not "i"), then the coupling to beneath will answer the ambiguity. Almost identical. (O.k. you also would have to have learned that the "th" was often a former "d","t"or "s": that = das, thanks = danke, think = denken, and so on.)
I thought it was "Naw-dear", but according to my googlings it's "Knee-der".
This is what you get by learning things from books.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Nieder = nidar is "knee-der", not nadir (from arabic nazir) which is (incorrectly) pronounced "neighdeer" and would correctly be pronounced with the "a" as the "u" in nut, "n-u-dir" so to say, but not as in "nuke"!OmCheeto said:Perhaps my confusion is based on the fact that I've been pronouncing "nadir" incorrectly for about 40 years.
I thought it was "Naw-dear", but according to my googlings it's "Knee-der".
This is what you get by learning things from books.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
fresh_42 said:Nieder = nidar is "knee-der", not nadir (from arabic nazir) which is (incorrectly) pronounced "neighdeer" and would correctly be pronounced with the "a" as the "u" in nut, "n-u-dir" so to say, but not as in "nuke"!
Oh dear. I hope we don't go "zer" again.
Und der vas ein great schpitzen und fightens um fiziks phorums one tag...
- 20,819
- 28,467
My favorite example is from George Bernard Shaw:Borek said:This is what you get by using a language with an inconsistent spelling.
ghot=fish: "gh" as in laugh, "o" as in women and "t" as in nation: fish.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
I blame it on all these stinkin' immigrants.Borek said:This is what you get by using a language with an inconsistent spelling.
Where on Earth did we all come from?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Reminds me of a "Hägar the Horrible" strip:WWGD said:Finnish women give the best Lapp dances...
Hägar: Bulgarian women are the best. And they can cook <sigh>
Lucky Eddie: Yes, but you don't understand them.
Hägar: Yes, that adds up to it.
<run, duck and cover ...>
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
OmCheeto said:Where on Earth
::bleep bloop gzzrd plkkkk::
That means "speak for yourself, buddy!"
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
This security guy sees me every day and acknowledges me with a 'hi' , yet every single day asks me for my ID, the same ID he has seen almost daily for years. Covering his ..tracks? I mean, he may ask me for my ID twice the same day when I go out and come back.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I've once been told, that this typical American behavior is a direct consequence of suing everybody on everything all the time and if something un- or even foreseeable happened, in order to be able to claim to have strictly followed the rules and protocols just in case one has to in front of a court. The US is the only country in the world, in which I had to think it through before I would help someone hurt in an accident or by a crime. I probably won't because I can't be sure of the consequences. Strange, but this is the image you produce in the rest of the world (IMO).WWGD said:This security guy sees me every day and acknowledges me with a 'hi' , yet every single day asks me for my ID, the same ID he has seen almost daily for years. Covering his ..tracks? I mean, he may ask me for my ID twice the same day when I go out and come back.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
dkotschessaa said:::bleep bloop gzzrd plkkkk::
That means "speak for yourself, buddy!"
Well, actually, according to my genealogical research, I'm 1/32 Dutch, 7/32 English, 5/8 German, and 1/8 Ukrainian*
--------------
*The Ukrainian part is based on a recent Russian acquaintances observation to her husband one day, that I looked Ukrainian, even though my ancestors claimed to be of "German" blood, and only living in Ukraine.
Yah right, great grandmama. The only thing you got from that cute Ukrainian milkman, was a bottle of milk.

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Could be that, could also be fear of losing a job at the blue-collar level and lose health insurance when there is no national healthcare.fresh_42 said:I've once been told, that this typical American behavior is a direct consequence of suing everybody on everything all the time and if something un- or even foreseeable happened, in order to be able to claim to have strictly followed the rules and protocols just in case one has to in front of a court. The US is the only country in the world, in which I had to think it through before I would help someone hurt in an accident or by a crime. I probably won't because I can't be sure of the consequences. Strange, but this is the image you produce in the rest of the world (IMO).
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
fresh_42 said:I've once been told, that this typical American behavior is a direct consequence of suing everybody on everything all the time and if something un- or even foreseeable happened, in order to be able to claim to have strictly followed the rules and protocols just in case one has to in front of a court. The US is the only country in the world, in which I had to think it through before I would help someone hurt in an accident or by a crime. I probably won't because I can't be sure of the consequences. Strange, but this is the image you produce in the rest of the world (IMO).
That is a hilarious observation, as I was just telling my siblings a story 3 days ago, about something very similar.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
After your reply, I thought about it and remembered that other security guards do not do the same as this guy, i.e., they do let me in. So I don't know what to conclude.WWGD said:Could be that, could also be fear of losing a job at the blue-collar level and lose health insurance when there is no national healthcare.
- 20,819
- 28,467
What I find weird is the usage of the word connection. We, of course, use the same word, but in its translated form. The correct word would probably be connessione. Many English words have found their way into common language here. It's a plague. At some point in the second half of last century it became stylish to say stylish, possibly enhanced by advertisement agencies. Now the weird part is, that the English word connection is used for dubious relations among certain groups of people, not necessarily legal ones. So each time I use this word, it's a bit strange. Maybe I should try to establish connessione instead. But Mafia structures on the other hand ...
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
fresh_42 said:What I find weird is the usage of the word connection. We, of course, use the same word, but in its translated form. The correct word would probably be connessione. Many English words have found their way into common language here. It's a plague. At some point in the second half of last century it became stylish to say stylish, possibly enhanced by advertisement agencies.
So now on the language tree we have to draw a line back from English into German. It's going to get messy.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
There is this site that is set up so that it attaches a 're' to the original title for every response/followup to it i.e., a thread with many replies will look like : title, re title,... ,re re re... title,..
There was this question originally titled Representation of Boolean algebra . After a few replies, the title looked like Re Re Re Re Re ..Re Representation ( Re- presentation) of Boolean algebra. At first I thought it was someone who stuttered in writing only..
There was this question originally titled Representation of Boolean algebra . After a few replies, the title looked like Re Re Re Re Re ..Re Representation ( Re- presentation) of Boolean algebra. At first I thought it was someone who stuttered in writing only..
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 3,635
- 3,328
Take care - your locale might have been infiltrated by MI8 spies intent on turning y'all into Cockneys. Make note of tell-tale signs around you: increased general dampness, instances of deadpan humour, people adding milk to their tea, life quality turning towards quiet desperation.WWGD said:Weird , I had the word 'love' used to address people some 5 times within around 2hrs. I had barely ever heard it ( or at least noticed) used in this way. Ta-ta love.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Thanks for the heads-up. I will turn them away next I hear the term by offering them Lipton iced-tea, with a straw and plenty of Splenda, all in a Big Gulp plastic cup.Bandersnatch said:Take care - your locale might have been infiltrated by MI8 spies intent on turning y'all into Cockneys. Make note of tell-tale signs around you: increased general dampness, instances of deadpan humour, people adding milk to their tea, life quality turning towards quiet desperation.
- 20,819
- 28,467
You should have recognized it long before this critical moment. Why in the world didn't make you wonder how they came in ...WWGD said:Thanks for the heads-up. I will turn them away next I hear the term by offering them Lipton iced-tea, with a straw and plenty of Splenda, all in a Big Gulp plastic cup.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
