What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,626
dkotschessaa said:
I'm sure a "YO PEPAAAY!" from the audience won't seem out of place at a classical guitar concert.
Maybe if you dressed as a vampire in a dark background...?

Likes dkotschessaa
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,627
Wow, this guy eating a sandwich, around 6'' by 6'' by 1.5'' for some 20 minutes now. Kind of a thin guy too. Reminds me of cobras eating large animals.

• #2,628
WWGD said:
EDIT: Zoobyshoe had some good insights on this:

That reminds me; where is @zoobyshoe? Zooby, are you out there?

• #2,630
dkotschessaa said:
I'm sure a "YO PEPAAAY!" from the audience won't seem out of place at a classical guitar concert.

It'd be better than a cellphone going off..

Saw Carlos Montoya in person ca 1966 . Amazing how good classical guitarist can fill the whole room with beautiful sound. Sure do wish i could operate one.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #2,631
jim hardy said:

...and someone in the audience picking it up while shouting: " No, I can talk, I am not busy"... and/or having " La Cucaracha" as a ringtone.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #2,632
jim hardy said:

Saw Carlos Montoya in person ca 1966 . Amazing how good classical guitarist can fill the whole room with beautiful sound. Sure do wish i could operate one.

I haven't played in awhile, but looking forward to getting back to it now that I finished school. Here is me quite a few years ago: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=74578

Likes collinsmark, jim hardy and fresh_42
  • #2,633
collinsmark said:
That reminds me; where is @zoobyshoe? Zooby, are you out there?
Indeed. @zoobyshoe? Are you there? Answer, or I'll have to sing the lost zooby song, and no one wants that.

(Seriously, zooby, I hope all's well)

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,634
dkotschessaa said:
Here is me quite a few years ago:

I sure enjoyed "Autumn Leaves". Takes me right back to Montreal...

Likes dkotschessaa and Casmo
  • #2,635
I've lost so much weight that I'm having to use safety pins to hold my clothes on. I need new clothes. My doctor was frightened when she saw me, asked me what was wrong, said it wasn't normal. I just can't eat anymore. Well, I haven't dropped below 92 pounds yet, so I am ok, I used to weigh 92 pounds when I was in my teens, but my face does look very gaunt.

Oh, and for people that have been wondering where I've been, I bought a house. I found out that my mother died 3 days before I closed. My baby sister living in her house in Houston had the roof cave in from the rain from hurricane Harvey (corrected storm name) which was when I closed. Just lots going on.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
  • #2,636
Evo said:
in Houston had the roof cave in from the rain from hurricane Irma which was
"Irma?" Not Harvey?

Likes Evo
  • #2,637
Congratulations on the house, @Evo. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother and your sister's roof. It does sound like a lot going on - don't forget to take care of yourself.

Likes collinsmark, WWGD, Evo and 1 other person
  • #2,638
Evo said:
I just can't eat anymore.
I'd lost interest too.
i started making myself a good breakfast every day - egg&cheese&mushroom omelette with a spoonful of salsa fried in real butter or sometimes with a couple strips of bacon diced in.
Makes the day go better.
With a good breakfast i usually skip midday meal - just an apple maybe with a string cheese .
Holding steady about 5 pounds over my high school weight, but what's significant is how good i feel.

Morning ritual: take my heart pills, check glucose, eat breakfast, check in on PF ...

I've come to regard the body as just a vehicle that conveys our consciousness through the time allotted us.
MIght as well take care of it - like a car , if it's kept in some semblance of good repair it'll give a comfortable ride. Wash frequently and avoid harsh chemicals, use only good fuel.

May we continue to age gracefully.:smile:

old jim

Likes Evo
  • #2,639
Bystander said:
"Irma?" Not Harvey?
Ooops, Harvey, Irma was my brother in Florida.

jim hardy said:
I'd lost interest too.
i started making myself a good breakfast every day - egg&cheese&mushroom omelette with a spoonful of salsa fried in real butter or sometimes with a couple strips of bacon diced in.
Oooh, I love omelettes like that, but mornings are the hardest time for me to eat.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,640
Evo said:
Oooh, I love omelettes like that, but mornings are the hardest time for me to eat.
For some time, I drank coke with apple juice to raise the sugar level in the morning. O.k. orange juice is probably more common, but I just wanted to say, that you please drink a lot. My best wishes! Don't use the Telly Savalas breakfast: coffee black, ...

Likes Evo
  • #2,641
fresh_42 said:
For some time, I drank coke with apple juice to raise the sugar level in the morning. O.k. orange juice is probably more common, but I just wanted to say, that you please drink a lot. My best wishes! Don't use the Telly Savalas breakfast: coffee black, ...

I have to watch my sugar intake . Not quite diabetic but have the metabolism for it. So i go for a protein-ish breakfast.

This was curious - i used to eat cereal, specifically raisin bran.
When i decided to switch morning intake away from fast carbs i put my stash of raisin bran out for the crows. I greatly enjoy watching those big galoots and often give them leftovers... I figured they'd really go for the grain based flakes

Well ! They meticulously picked out all the raisins and refused to touch the bran .

Made me wonder - "What have i been eating?"

old jim

• #2,642
jim hardy said:
Well ! They meticulously picked out all the raisins and refused to touch the bran .

Made me wonder - "What have i been eating?"
Not sure how reliable they are. I've seen a documentation on TV of a park in Paris where they only picked up left overs from McDonald's and left the other brands unseen. Unfortunately they didn't mention, whether those bags usually contain more food, or simply tasted better.

• #2,643
fresh_42 said:
Don't use the Telly Savalas breakfast: coffee black, ...

+ Cigarrete?

• #2,644
WWGD said:
+ Cigarrete?
Yep. I've once heard it called with a certain name, but this is not appropriate to tell here.

• #2,645
fresh_42 said:
And if you try to square the circle, it is "in vain" :cool:
hmmm...
Was randomly cruising the internets yesterday, and I randomly ended up finding a squircle, which looks very much like the shape of one of my very old tupperware pieces.
The first bit of maths looked easy enough: (x-a)4+(y-b)4=r4
and I thought to myself; "Hey! A circle is just (x-h)2+(y-k)2=r2. What if they just kept going?"
But then I saw; "r is the minor radius of the squircle", and decided against researching it further.

I am very bad at maths.

ps. I hypothesized that people stopped researching this, as the name might get unencumberably long, and the linguists would most definitely get involved, making the discussion even longer: squisquicirle? squasquacircle? deodecasquascacircle?

And then I took a nap.

• #2,646
OmCheeto said:
... the name might get unencumberably long, and the linguists would most definitely get involved, making the discussion even longer: squisquicirle? squasquacircle?
I've been told that the Romans didn't separate their words and wrote everything in caps. ANDITSEEMSASIFTHESQUIRCLEISNOTSQARABLEEITHER.

I once taught a seven year old to learn by heart the following show-off phrase, to give her a non violent tool to conquer eventual mocking at school: "But did you know that ##\pi## isn't contained in any Galois extension of ##\mathbb{Q}##?"

Unfortunately she used it at her mother's weekly square dance night, running from table to table, telling everybody the news.

• #2,647
Wow, found a sandwich in a backpack I had not used for some 3 months. Stink in apt is gone. I think even CSI would stay away from it.Phew!

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,648
WWGD said:
Wow, found a sandwich in a backpack I had not used for some 3 months. Stink in apt is gone. I think even CSI would stay away from it.Phew!
You need Tupperware. It was invented for leftovers which you decide to throw away two months later.

• #2,649
fresh_42 said:
You need Tupperware. It was invented for leftovers which you decide to throw away two months later.
I need a sense of smell and a sense of taste too, both of which disappeared when I smelled the (former) sandwich. EDIT: I was accused of engaging in chemical warfare when I took out the sandwich.

Last edited:
  • #2,650
fresh_42 said:
You need Tupperware.
Tuna "surprise?"

• #2,651
What's the psychological frustration limit with computers ?

Continual freeze - ups , windows changing things around at night, spam emails, thousands of error screens to tell you Windows cannot do what was promised,
it gives your phone number to every telemarketer in the world and probably details on everything you buy with a card

i'm almost to the point the aggravation outweighs the enjoyment.
Fair Anne's cousin did 'Just Say No" for a while
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8132948-the-winter-of-our-disconnect

maybe i'll feel better tomorrow.
Just found the freezes seem related to something using up all 2gb of memory.
2gigabytes ? A million kilowords ?That's incomprehensible to me - we ran the plant process computer for a dual nuke unit in 40kilowords of 16 bit magnetic core memory.
Well, they say unlimited memory allows bad programming.

Gonna try that Linux Mint before it's over

/end rant/

old jim

Likes Asymptotic
  • #2,652
jim hardy said:
What's the psychological frustration limit with computers ?

Continual freeze - ups , windows changing things around at night, spam emails, thousands of error screens to tell you Windows cannot do what was promised,
it gives your phone number to every telemarketer in the world and probably details on everything you buy with a card

Fair Anne's cousin did 'Just Say No" for a while
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8132948-the-winter-of-our-disconnect

maybe i'll feel better tomorrow.
Just found the freezes seem related to something using up all 2gb of memory.
2gigabytes ? A million kilowords ?That's incomprehensible to me - we ran the plant process computer for a dual nuke unit in 40kilowords of 16 bit magnetic core memory.
Well, they say unlimited memory allows bad programming.

/end rant/

old jim

But somehow many believe these problems will disappear when have machine-driven cars.

Likes Asymptotic and jim hardy
  • #2,653
There is this guy with a (no kidding) curved body; curves like a sideways parabola. Somehow he manages to live his life : eat, go to Starbucks, etc. No idea how he can manage.

• #2,654
jim hardy said:
I use Debian Linux. It is a vast improvement over Windows in terms of reliability and no random freezes. The UI isn't quite as polished, but the lack of unpredictable (and predictable) hangs is a clear win to my way of thinking.
jim hardy said:
we ran the plant process computer for a dual nuke unit in 40kilowords of 16 bit magnetic core memory
That's because you had a clearly defined problem and a strong interest in being no more complex than you had to be. And shiny UIs were of zero interest.

Edit: and you probably didn't tolerate memory leaks...

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,655
Ibix said:
Edit: and you probably didn't tolerate memory leaks...

Or non-reentrant subroutines. :cry:

Likes Ibix
  • #2,656
fresh_42 said:
I'm addicted to oranges, so I have at least one orange every day, I also eat the peel. The peel, to me is the best part, yes, it has the most fiber, nutrients, and antioxidants, but I steep them in artificially sweetened green tea and OMG, it's like crack. I'd throw the orange sections away just to get to the peels, they are THAT GOOD!. That's my nightly treat, a big bowlful of diced orange peel in sweet tea.

I am waiting for December to get here because I am addicted to Cara Cara oranges, THE BEST ORANGES IN THE WORLD. They are only available from December to May, you might find a few in June, but the quality declines the closer to summer you get. Trust me on this. I also grow meyer lemons and love to eat them whole too.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,657
Evo said:
Don't knock it until you've tried it!
I don't. Neither. But I don't really trust the producers, i.e. whether they are really organic.

• #2,658
fresh_42 said:
I don't. Neither. But I don't really trust the producers, i.e. whether they are really organic.
Just wash them well.

• #2,659
jim hardy said:
My first experience with "interactive computing" was in high school, and involved a Univac(?) time-share, 110 baud handset modem, and Teletype model 33 ASR with paper tape program storage. Learned BASIC and FORTRAN using punched cards for programming. Later had a C64, then a clone 4.77 MHz PC-XT with 640K of DRAM running MSDOS 3.1, and now, Win 10 on a quad core 2.71 GHz CPU with 12G of DDR3 memory.

Early on, each DOS release was a true improvement, and eagerly anticipated, but this gradual devolution towards "operating system as sales platform" is driving me nuts to the point where I put off moving to this Win 10 machine purchased last August until it became absolutely necessary when a capacitor on my circa 2000 motherboard running Win XP gave up the ghost two weeks ago.

One of my pet peeves is "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Is it too much trouble for the OS to tell me exactly why it doesn't want to dismount a USB drive?

• #2,660
Evo said:
Just wash them well.
That doesn't help because the poison is usually too deep under the surface. But a friend of mine swears on oranges as a prophylaxes for urethra infections. The season just starts now. I'll watch out for the cara caras, you made me curious.