What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
dkotschessaa said:
It's a farce they conduct every several years and hardly anybody turns out to vote. Most are not in favor. (My wife's mother was a huge part of the independista movement).
What if they conducted a poll and nobody came? I guess.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Phew! I thought they were going to change the number system, when I read a flyer in the streets : " What do you Tell your kid When there is no More Thirteen"? It would have brought about chaos. It turns out it is just public television, channel 13, which some are considering defunding ( and, strangely, some are defending against the defunding?!).
 
Last edited:
This guy walks into the coffee shop wearing a mini-skirt ( no kidding). Wanted to tell him: If you drop _Anything_ I will pic it up for you. Seriously!
 
I keep trying to focus, but the triple bacon sandwich keeps calling my name...
 
WWGD said:
I keep trying to focus, but the triple bacon sandwich keeps calling my name...
asterix-and-obleix.jpg
 
Bacon? hmmmm...

The March for Science Facebook group posted something about "Carbon Footprint" the other day from an article in Science.
The number one reduction in carbon was to have fewer babies.
Another reduction was to remove meat from your diet.
The article wasn't that interesting, but the most popular comment was somewhat amusing.

Q: How much extra bacon do I get to eat each year for each child I don't have?​

Which, being on the "March for Science" site, someone naturally did the maths:

A: 9 tons​

Which I calculated to be about 50 lbs per day.

I don't think I've eaten 50 lbs of bacon in my whole life!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and Evo
It's been a long while since I last visited PF. Still the nice, friendly, insightful community I remembered [emoji2]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Borg, OmCheeto and 1 other person
wukunlin said:
It's been a long while since I last visited PF. Still the nice, friendly, insightful community I remembered [emoji2]
So great to see your wonderful face!
 
OmCheeto said:
Q: How much extra bacon do I get to eat each year for each child I don't have?
:oldlaugh:
 
I closely averted problems twice last week. First, I almost sat on a homeless guy sleeping in a park bench. It was midnight, pretty dark, I could barely see anything. Then I saw someone who looked like a friend coming out of a building and I was about to shout " Now I know where you live!". It turns out it was someone else I did not know. I don't think she would have been too happy to hear that coming from a stranger.
 
wukunlin said:
It's been a long while since I last visited PF. Still the nice, friendly, insightful community I remembered [emoji2]
Your fur still looks healthy :).
 
I have a descaling agent. I recognized, that vinegar evaporates in a few hours, the agent does not. So I wondered what it was and read the label. It's obviously bio stuff, will say they claim that it only(?!) contains citric and lactic acid. Now I'm asking myself whether I could use it for sourdough or similar foods ...
 
fresh_42 said:
Ah, you refreshed my memory: Asterix and Obelix! There used to be a place called Asterix Burger . Those #$% Gauls! I thought my previous GF was the one who harbored grudges for a long time, but the French still have it out for the Roman brigades that were in their country some 2,000 years ago. Now, _that's_ keeping grudges.
 
Maybe Clint Eastwood lives in the Northern part of the Westwood area. There seem to be fewer ( less?*) Southern-related adjectives than the others : East, West, North.
* Never learned well which one to use when.
 
The coffee shop near my office has a sign for customers to read saying that they can't yet accept smart watch payments. Apologise for the inconvenience.

Um... Sorry you had to put up a sign, I guess? o_O
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Strangely, after reading the reference on Asterix by Fresh, my mind rebels, and it calls it asterisk instead, won't call it anything else.
 
Heard the other day in office: "It's passive aggressive awareness day. Not that you'd KNOW anything about that."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix, collinsmark, Borg and 1 other person
dkotschessaa said:
Heard the other day in office: "It's passive aggressive awareness day. Not that you'd KNOW anything about that."
What are you implying there? Could you point to the place at which I was allegedly passive aggressive##^*)##?

##^*)## The difficult part here is, to constrain the amount of jokes and even more difficult, to make them recognizable as such ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
dkotschessaa said:
"...Not that you'd KNOW anything about that."
fresh_42 said:
What are you implying there?
The difficult part here is...to make them recognizable as such ...
It would seem that.... lol
 
collinsmark said:
I thought @dkotschessaa's joke was kinda funny. What am I missing? :confused:
The last three have been real jokes that's why I moved them to the joke thread. The others, @dkotschessaa's and mine, were more of a normal, although not quite serious talk. It's not always possible to draw a line, but these:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/lame-jokes.25301/page-198#post-5813622 ff.
are definitely funny jokes, o.k. maybe better in the science jokes section because they are more nerdy than lame ...
 
fresh_42 said:
The others, @dkotschessaa's and mine, were more of a normal, although not quite serious talk.

The way I interpreted it:

Somebody at the office saying, "Not that you'd KNOW anything about that," is being passive aggressive to the other office worker. It's a really passive aggressive thing to say.

But what is he/she talking about in the first place? Passive Aggressive Awareness Day. The office worker was being passive aggressive about knowing about Passive Aggressive Awareness Day.

There's humor in that.
 
I interpreted
collinsmark said:
"Not that you'd KNOW anything about that [passive aggression]"
meant: "I do not assume this addresses you" which is more of a compliment, than a hint towards a deficit. But generally, you're right: the usage of "you" tends to result in a personal attack.

But now it seems, I don't understand you. I haven't done anything with these posts about a passive aggressive attitude. Did you mean I should have moved them, too, or that the jokes about the sports teams shouldn't have been moved?
 
fresh_42 said:
I interpreted
But now it seems, I don't understand you. I haven't done anything with these posts about a passive aggressive attitude. Did you mean I should have moved them, too, or that the jokes about the sports teams shouldn't have been moved?

That's where I don't understand. How is this about you?

I thought it was just @dkotschessaa making a joke about an invented office worker (invented for the joke). I don't know, do you work in the same office? That's what I don't understand.

To me it was a joke that was moved out the joke thread for some reason. I don't understand why it was moved or how you fit into it.
 
collinsmark said:
To me it was a joke that was moved out the joke thread for some reason. I don't understand why it was moved or how you fit into it.
Nobody moved anything, except three jokes about the names of hockey and baseball teams (see links above), which I did and commented here in case someone would miss them. It had nothing to do with the (also funny) conversation here about passive aggression. I just sorted jokes to jokes.
 
Last edited: