What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
I'm getting paranoid about someone reading all my notifications; bottom of my notifications always says " Mark read". Is that Mark44 reading them all?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
I'm getting paranoid about someone reading all my notifications; bottom of my notifications always says " Mark read". Is that Mark44 reading them all?
Principally, yes. However, it is not Mark but Mach. Also not 44, but 2. Furthermore, there was a typo and it had to be ready, not read. Moreover, it's not the notifications, rather than the projected speed at which they are planned to be deleted.
 
fresh_42 said:
Principally, yes. However, it is not Mark but Mach. Also not 44, but 2. Furthermore, there was a typo and it had to be ready, not read. Moreover, it's not the notifications, rather than the projected speed at which they are planned to be deleted.
Mark McMach? Or Marky Mark?
 
fresh_42 said:
Principally, yes. However, it is not Mark but Mach. Also not 44, but 2. Furthermore, there was a typo and it had to be ready, not read. Moreover, it's not the notifications, rather than the projected speed at which they are planned to be deleted.
I always wondered if people who had theorems or other names would refer to them. Would Cauchy refer to " We conclude by my Theorem"? Would Mach say he flew at " Me 2"( Mach 2)?
 
WWGD said:
I always wondered if people who had theorems or other names would refer to them. Would Cauchy refer to " We conclude by my Theorem"? Would Mach say he flew at " Me 2"( Mach 2)?
Rindler referred to a space using Rindler coordinates as "the uniformly accelerated lattice" or "rocket coordinates", although he did acknowledge that the space "is occasionally referred to as Rindler space".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
DrGreg said:
Rindler referred to a space using Rindler coordinates as "the uniformly accelerated lattice" or "rocket coordinates", although he did acknowledge that the space "is occasionally referred to as Rindler space".
I would have preferred if he had used " Me Space". Please tell him if you run into him.
 
DrGreg said:
Rindler referred to a space using Rindler coordinates as "the uniformly accelerated lattice" or "rocket coordinates", although he did acknowledge that the space "is occasionally referred to as Rindler space".
A friend claimed that this was the best way to get something named after you - discover something and give it a clumsy name. Other people will start using your name as a shorthand...
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and BillTre
DrGreg said:
Rindler referred to a space using Rindler coordinates as "the uniformly accelerated lattice" or "rocket coordinates", although he did acknowledge that the space "is occasionally referred to as Rindler space".

WWGD said:
Please tell him if you run into him.

Do not promise this! Nobody really knows how liability cases are dealt with in the other realm!
 
fresh_42 said:
Do not promise this! Nobody really knows how liability cases are dealt with in the other realm!
I'm not planning to travel there in the foreseeable future.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
WWGD said:
I always wondered if people who had theorems or other names would refer to them.
Feynman said:
This is called "the diagram of the process".
 
WWGD said:
I always wondered if people who had theorems or other names would refer to them.
I was slightly embarrassed not to know the Kato-Rellich Theorem, because I learned from Kato's book, where it is Theorem 4.3, with a footnote: "Theorems 4.3 and 4.4 are due to RELLICH [3]. See also T. KATO [3], [4]".

Same with a few other theorems of his.
 
Keith_McClary said:
Feynman said:
Kind of matches the line of this song , can't remember the name " It's all part...of the process.." I would hear at St Arbucks ( auto incorrect).
 
Keith_McClary said:
I was slightly embarrassed not to know the Kato-Rellich Theorem, because I learned from Kato's book, where it is Theorem 4.3, with a footnote: "Theorems 4.3 and 4.4 are due to RELLICH [3]. See also T. KATO [3], [4]".

Same with a few other theorems of his.
Well, you're way ahead of me by that account. I was not even aware of the author himself.

I do remember, though, this sort of funny anecdote ( at least for me). I have only cursory knowledge about literature. Once I was talking with this literature professor and the line " It was the best of times, it was the worse of times". It was one of the 3 things I remembered , that it was from " A tale of two cities". The prof misidentified it, yet I got it right. It was awkward ; any other exchange would have shown him to be greatly more knowledgeable than I in this area.
 
Today is my mom's birthday and during celebrating my sister made our video and after watching It I realized how old I have became😭.
In my mind I was just a small boy.
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
The trip - dubbed The Atlantic Dash - was a 3,200 mile journey from the Canary Islands to Antigua.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
Astronuc said:
The trip - dubbed The Atlantic Dash - was a 3,200 mile journey from the Canary Islands to Antigua.

Your trip? Is that you sailing?
 
WWGD said:
Your trip? Is that you sailing?
NO, not me. Just an interesting trip.
 
Read somewhere:
" Wikipedia is a real suppository of information". Yikes, I prefer reading it.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BigDon and BillTre
Can't help a smirk , in other sites, when posts of someone calling others idiots contain several misspelled words. Dude, when you call others idiots, use the spellcheck first. And what is it with these Czecs and spelling?
 
I think they're Russian to reply so they don't do a spell Czech to Polish their post before they Finnish.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary, WWGD and BillTre
Ibix said:
I think they're Russian to reply so they don't do a spell Czech to Polish their post before they Finnish.
And they may be too Hungary to do so.

It reminds me of when Putin's child was trying their clothes at the store , he was a little Russian dressing on the side.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Happy Mother's Day

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 5.51.31 PM.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BigDon and WWGD
does anyone know if you can go to sleep with your phone under your pillow? was going to start waking up a little earlier but don't want to start irritating everyone with that obnoxious radar sound. :nb) it's not going to, like, overheat and catch on fire or anything?
 
etotheipi said:
does anyone know if you can go to sleep with your phone under your pillow? was going to start waking up a little earlier but don't want to start irritating everyone with that obnoxious radar sound. :nb) it's not going to, like, overheat and catch on fire or anything?
I wouldn't do it. Besides the small chance it catches fire, I like to limit prolonged close proximity exposure of my phone to my head, just in case.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/15/d...your-body-california-health-department-warns/
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
etotheipi said:
does anyone know if you can go to sleep with your phone under your pillow? was going to start waking up a little earlier but don't want to start irritating everyone with that obnoxious radar sound. :nb) it's not going to, like, overheat and catch on fire or anything?
Can you plug headphones to your phone and put it aside?
 
I would not worry about a fire or explosion.

Why not turn just down the volume.
On the other hand, certainty of waking at the proper time is not nothing. I used to be on-call 24 hours a day for a vision critical job (eyebank) and kept my phone in a large ceramic cup by my bed. The cup provided amplification (I guess through resonance). I wanted to be sure it woke me. It also woke my wife, but she wanted to keep track of me anyway.

Nevertheless, volume control should provide a happy middle path, once calibrated.
The earphones sound OK, if tolerable, but that might be a temporary problem anyway.
I have found that if I want to wake at a certain time, on a regular schedule (and get enough sleep), I will adapt to the new wake time after a few days, and awake then anyway, due to the resetting of my internal alarm clock.
 
You could switch to an IPhone. The alarm is so traumatizing that you just have to set it and your subconscious will wake you up in advance to disable it; works for me.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Keith_McClary, hmmm27 and 2 others
Or you can ask two people ( just in case) to call you at that time.

When writing this I remembered of someone called just that: Justin Case. Don't know if the parents were careless or just missed it.