What is the path of a heat-seeking particle in a given temperature field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
gop
Messages
55
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The temperature is given by

[tex]T(x,y)=\sqrt{2}e^{-y}\cos x[/tex]

Calculate the path of a heat-seeking particle.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\nabla f(x,y)=\left[\begin{array}{c}<br /> -\sqrt{2}e^{-y}\sin x\\<br /> -\sqrt{2}e^{-y}\cos x\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]g(t)=\left[\begin{array}{c}<br /> g_{1}(t)\\<br /> g_{2}(t)\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\dot{g}_{1}(t)=-\sqrt{2}e^{-g_{2}(t)}\sin g_{1}(t)[/tex]
[tex]\dot{g}_{2}(t)=-\sqrt{2}e^{-g_{2}(t)}\cos g_{1}(t)[/tex]

That's where I'm stuck. I have to solve the differential equations but they depend very heavily on each other so I can't get them decoupled.
Also tried to solve them in maple but maple just complains that the numverator of the ODE depens on the highest derivative.

Do I missing something obvious? (we did differential equations only briefly)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are only interested in the path- i.e. the curve in xy space, independent of t", you are better off not introducing "g1(t)" and "g2(t)". You can rewrite the equations as
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{-\sqrt{2}e^{-y}sin(x)}{-\sqrt{2}e^{-y}cos(x)}[/tex]
or just dy/dx= tan(x). Integrate.
 
Last edited by a moderator: