What is the physical meaning of the continuity equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
angel 42
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm new here and I would like to ask a simple Q:
what is the physical meaning of the continuity equation
from (electrodynamic 1) I mean it's related to the electromagnatic problems

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


I know the answer in my language it's easy but I like to see it in english
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

The continuity equation is,
[tex]\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t}+\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{j}=0.[/tex]

It means:
If you take a mathematical closed surface in the space (it means that your surface could be not a real one but yous an imaginary boundary), if the number of charge particles inside your boundary change on time, is because the missing ones have crossed.

That is, the change of the charge density on times is equal to the flux of charge through the surface enclosing the volume.

I hope it would be useful to you. Regards.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vaishali Chaubey
thanks Dox by the way I do Know the answer but I try to write it in english in my open book exam, and that is close to mine


and this word is to the physics furoms
be ware I'm coming