Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the physical or statistical meaning of this integral

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    What is the physical or statistical meaning of the following integral

[tex]\int^{a}_{o} g(\vartheta) d(\vartheta)[/tex] = [tex]\int^{\infty}_{a} g(\vartheta) d(\vartheta)[/tex]

where [tex]g(\vartheta)[/tex] is a Gaussian in [tex]\vartheta[/tex] describing the transition frequency fluctuation in a gaseous system (assume two-level and inhomogeneous) .

[tex]\vartheta = \omega_{0} -\omega[/tex], where [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] is the peak frequency and [tex]\omega[/tex] the running frequency.

I can see that the integral finds a point [tex]\vartheta = a[/tex] for which the area under the curve (the Gaussian) between 0 to a and a to [tex]\infty[/tex] are equal.

But is there a statistical meaning to this integral? Does it find something like the most-probable value [tex]\vartheta = a[/tex]? But the most probable value should be [tex]\vartheta = 0[/tex] in my understanding! So what does the point [tex]\vartheta = a[/tex] tell us?

I will be grateful if somebody can explain this and/or direct me to a reference.

Cheers

Jamy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Jamy! :smile:

It's the 50% likelihood range …

50% likely that the result will be between ±a

(and it works for any symmetric probability distribution, not just Gaussian :wink:)

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    Thanks a ton for the reply. Could you please provide a reference/book. I want to see how its 50% likely.
    Cheers
    Jamy:smile:

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4
    Well I suppose the domain is on positive values. For it to be a probability distribution its norm should be unity.

[tex] \int^{\infty}_{o} g(\vartheta) d(\vartheta) = 1 [/tex]

The 50% follows from 11th grade math, by the rules of how to add integrals over different intervals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook