1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this line integral computation correct? (Green's Thm application)

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the value of the line integral

[itex]\int[/itex] C(e-x^3 - 3y)dx + (tan y + y4 + x) dy

where C is the counterclockwise-oriented circle of radius 4 centered at (0,2).

3. The attempt at a solution
    First off, I didn't think this was path independent since the derivative of the dx term in respect to y equals -3 which doesn't equal the derivative of the dy term with respect to x, 1.

After getting stuck on some direct approaches, I realized it is probably a Green's Thm application.

This then translates to [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] 4 dA. So in polar coordinates the path of the circle is

x = 4 cos [itex]\vartheta[/itex]
    y = 4 sin [itex]\vartheta[/itex] + 2

This is where I get unsure. To try and get the limits on r I tried to say r = sqrt (x + y) and then plugged in the paramatized equations for x and y. This simplified to r = sqrt (20 + 16 sin [itex]\vartheta[/itex]). So then I thought that r varies from 2 to this general thing and hence

[itex]\int[/itex] [itex]^{2pi}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\sqrt{20 + 16 sin\vartheta}_{2}}[/itex] 4 r dr d[itex]\vartheta[/itex].

Is this right? Note that the limits with respect to r is suppose to be 2 to that sqrt expression, the two just kept popping up a little below and to the right...

In particular is this a correct way to find the respective limits of integration? Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Check that you've typed the integral correctly, as it doesn't make much sense as it is.

Did you mean:
    $$\int_C (e^{-x^3}-3y)dx+(\tan y + y^4+x)dy$$

4. Aug 20, 2012 #3
    1. The radius of the circle is given directly in the problem statement.

2. The double integral of a constant is equal to the constant multiplied by the area of the domain of integration, which is a circle of a known radius here.

5. Aug 20, 2012 #4
    Oops, sorry that was suppose to be a + rather than =. Thanks Voko, I should have seen that. That clears it all up for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook