What is the potential difference in parallel plates?

In summary, the positive terminal of parallel plates is always at a higher electric potential, regardless of the charge being referenced (proton or electron). This is because the potential energy of the system is determined by the product of the electric potential and the charge, and in both cases, the charge moves in the direction that reduces the potential energy.

Homework Statement

So I'm confused, if you have parallel plates:

+++++++++++++++

-------------------

And there's an electron inside the plate:

+++++++++++++++
e-
-------------------

Does that mean the voltage of the negative terminal is higher than the positive terminal? i.e.+++++++++++++++ (LOW, say -20 V)
e-
------------------- (HIGH, say 50V)

And for a proton, is this correct?

+++++++++++++++ (HIGH, say 50V)
p+
------------------- (low, say -20V)

Or is it ALWAYS like this:

(call this diagram diagram sense)
+++++++++++++++ (HIGH, say 50V)
?
------------------- (low, say -20V)

Regardless of if '?' is a proton or electron?

I mean, it should always be the one in diagram sense? Right? Because V = kq/r and q will always be positive at that point?

If someone could clear this confusion for me, I would be very happy.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure, to be honest.

To sort of rephrase my question:

Is the positive terminal ALWAYS high potential? No matter what charge is being referenced? I.e., proton, electron

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The positive terminal is always at a higher electric potential (V). So, a positive test charge between the plates would want to move from the area of high electric potential to the area of low electric potential (i.e. away from + and towards -). In contrast, a negative charge between the plates would want to move from an area of low electric potential to an area of high electric potential (i.e. away from - and towards +).

This is just a matter of definition. The second case may seem counter-intuitive at first, until you realize that in BOTH cases, the test charge is moving in a direction that reduces the potential ENERGY (U, or whatever symbol you want) of the system. That's because the potential ENERGY is the electric potential (V) multiplied by the charge (q) that you place in between the plates:

U = Vq

So, in the case of a proton as a test charge (with q = +e), the potential energy U = +Ve would be HIGHER at the + terminal (where the electric potential V is larger in magnitude) and LOWER at the - terminal, where V is smaller in magnitude. The charge moves in the direction from from high U to low U (+ to -), just as you would expect.

In the case of an electron as a test charge (with q = -e), the potential energy U = -Ve would be HIGHER at the - terminal (where the electric potential V is smaller in magnitude) and LOWER at the + terminal, where V is larger in magnitude. The charge moves in the direction from from high U to low U (- to +), just as you would expect.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. A voltmeter is connected in parallel to the two points being measured, and the reading on the voltmeter indicates the potential difference between those two points.

3. What is the potential difference in parallel plates?

In parallel plate configurations, the potential difference is the difference in electric potential between the two plates. It is directly proportional to the electric field between the plates, and is given by the equation V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. How does potential difference affect the movement of charges?

Potential difference is what causes charges to flow through a circuit. Charges move from areas of high potential (positive terminal) to areas of low potential (negative terminal) in order to equalize the potential difference. The greater the potential difference, the greater the force on the charges and the faster they will move.

5. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of movement of the charges. In this case, the charges will still flow from high potential to low potential, but the potential difference will be negative.