What is the Potential Function and Gravitational Field of Earth?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
frogger832
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm sorry if this sounds confusing. But I'm writing this question exactly how it is written in my textbook. I am stumped on this problem: Find the potential function and gravitational field of the earth. Then use those equations to determine the work that must be done to get a 100kg satellite into orbit. Ignore other planetary objects and relativity
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
To ask that question, your text-book must have given you a definition of "potential function" - probably in relation to a force or a potential energy - and also the equation for the gravitational force between two masses. Go look for them and the way forward will become clearer.